1000 posts / 1000 miles Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
So to commemorate my graduation from apprentice to full-fledged Post-Whore, I thought I'd write up my first ever SS1000 on my 1000th post on the forum. Kidding aside, the great resource this forum provides has helped me venture into long distance riding on a bike I have maintained on my own with all the great information on here.

So, onto the Ride Report:

I figured for my first SS1000 I wanted to go one-way to somewhere far away. Looking over the maps, I decided on El Paso, TX, at the border with Juarez, MX.

My bike is fairly stock. I've got a Rifle screen, which is nice. Also, an audiovox CC that helps a lot on longer days. I use the much-maligned STOCK SEAT with beadrider beads. My ass survived.

Leaving Idaho Falls at about 4:00 am:

June232014Download512_zps6438e14f.jpg

My ODO before gassing up:

June232014Download509_zps2abd3472.jpg

Leaving Idaho Falls it got down to 38 degreesF at the coldest. Heated gear was plugged in. After blazing south into a headwind on I-15 (a real treat with the brights on and almost no traffic--very serene), I was running out of gas after only 140 miles.

So I had to pull over less than two hours into the ride to get gas at Tremonton, UT.

June232014Download513_zpsa36d331b.jpg

On through the most dangerous part of the ride--the Salt Lake City area. Even at 6-6:30 am, plenty of crazy drivers were out. Cutting southeast, I went through Price, UT, and to Moab UT where I stopped.

As the temps went pretty quickly from the low 40's to the mid 70's, I found myself suddenly getting really drowsy on the bike. It was only around 10 or 11 am, but that temperature increase was messing with me. So I pulled off, changed gear to cool down, and all was good. That was the only point of the ride where I felt tired...

By early afternoon, it was getting a lot warmer. By 600 miles into the ride, it was really warming up.

Somewhere in New Mexico...

June232014Download519_zps581da601.jpg

Rode all the way across New Mexico, north to south. I enjoy the desert and thought it was great.

Just before 9:00 pm, I rolled into El Paso TX. 1076 miles on the ODO, just under 17 hours.

June232014Download523_zps5c1704e8.jpg

I took quite a few little breaks along the way.

My GPS Data:

June232014Download524_zps7090e847.jpg

My SPOT tracks (hit the button approx 1x/hour)

Spot_zps4fc1c738.jpg

Spent the night in El Paso, then went home the long way through Colorado Springs, breaking that ride into two days.

Spot2_zps43db35e9.jpg

All in all it was about 2500 miles in 3 days. And yes I was tired when I got home.

A few random pics of El Paso and the border:

June232014Download552_zps3bd9e1c1.jpg

June232014Download546_zps79c3dc24.jpg

June232014Download532_zps8243ac0e.jpg

Juarez, MX across the fence...

June232014Download539_zps26a17043.jpg

On my way home, turned 50K over on the bike...

June232014Download563_zpsdae8a4c6.jpg

I really enjoyed the ride, and will probably do another next summer when the days are long.

Good job Steve. I haven't done one for a few years but hope to before the snow hits this year.

Very cool! Congrats on the safe completion of your ride. Did you have someone in mind to witness your end or just find someone once there?

Was it everything you hoped for? Sounds like it - and then some.

Congratulations on your maiden SS voyage!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was running out of gas after only 140 miles....

Really? What could possibly lead to that low mpg number? Oh wait, RallyNominalSpeed?
flirt.gif

Very cool! Congrats on the safe completion of your ride. Did you have someone in mind to witness your end or just find someone once there?
I had the the front desk clerk at the hotel where I stopped sign the witness statement for me, right after getting my final gas receipt just down the street.

As for getting 140 miles before my first tank was running out.... I-15 is posted 80mph so going a little above the posted limit, with a headwind, rifle windscreen up pretty high, and the top case killed my MPG on that first leg.

All in all it was a pretty fun adventure...I think I'll do another next year in the long days of June.
smile.png