Scorpion EXO900 Helmet Latch Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Krusen

Reaction score
Scorpion EXO900 Helmet Latch Failure

Another one bites the dust.

I wore my backup Scorpion EXO900 Saturday. I was just checking how it worked on the FJR with the Edsets adapter to the J&M CB. Worked ok. So Sunday I decide to keep using it and was putting the other one on the shelf. When I set it down I pulled the release and it broke! The red release lever just snapped off. So I took it apart and got on the internet and sent Scorpion an email. I also asked for a second latch assembly for the other helmet figuring it's the same age and will probably break next time I put it on. Today (Monday) I got a reply from Scorpion before noon and they have 2 latch assemblies in the mail for me. That, I would call excellent service and customer relations.

I have 2 Scorpion EXO900 convertible helmets. This is the story about one of them. Two of my riding buddies have the same helmets and had this failure before me. I was hoping I was immune to the breakage that they told me about but I was wrong. My helmets are from 2010 & 2011 and my friends’ are only a year or so old. Mine have a lot of miles on them, probably 75,000 miles between them. My 2011 is the one that broke.

Just a heads up for you Scorpion owners. Best to have it with in case it breaks on a ride.

If the helmet is in the closed position, to open the chin bar you'll need to remove the chin plate. There are 4 phillips head screws holding the chin plate, two on the bottom edge (left and right near the latch). The other two are hidden behind oval plates which can be picked off with your finger. Remove the 4 screws to take off the chin plate. From there you'll lift up on the breath plate and EPS foam to reveal the red lever and cables. Manually pull on each cable to unlatch the left and right side. The assembly is screwed into the chin bar.

Ed "Just Kruse'n"
Naples FL

Ed, thank you for the heads up. I had one that broke on me last year. I have been wearing my back-up helmet sense then. I need to get another helmet anyway because the EXO900 is so heavy and sometimes gives me issues. But I will send them a message so that I have another working helmet.

Carl