Brodie's Ignition Switch Harness on a Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salan10

Reaction score
I will soon be a proud owner of a 2014 Gen III FJR and i'll be trading in my 2008. On that bike I installed the ignition switch harness. The 2008's as we all recall had a poorly designed ignition circuit that loaded the switch with more current than it could handle and many of them failed. The harness addressed the issue by having a relay handle the high current instead of the switch. Now, does the Gen III need this or has the ignition circuit been redesigned by Yamaha to prevent the melting of the switch contacts?

I think Yamaha did a good job redesigning the recall ignition switch. This updated switch most likely made it to the next generation bike. If any Gen 3 owners want to remove their ignition switch and open it up to compare it with the recall switch, go for it. Use the link in my sig line below to find the pictures I posted to compare with.

If you don't want to go that deep into it, then look for the twin read & white wire sharing one of the wide tabs on the large pigtail connector. If it's there, then chances are good it's the same switch.

Brodie

:)

If it were me, I'd use the relay on the new bike.

I have Brodie's relay and the updated switch on my 08.

2010 switch and spiders were fixed. I think its would be a waste of space but if it's good for a piece of mine, go for it.

Oh, and I have one for sale if someone is looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the Brodie harness won't go on the Gen III bikes. The ignition switch connectors have three leads. The Brodie harness has two. They must have seriously changed the circuit.