Hooking up for the ride in... (your ride plans)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Hola EOM attendees,

Heidi here... I'd like to find out the ride plans of folks that I might intercept for the ride into Maggie Valley. I will be leaving Hampton Roads on Thursday the 25th, taking the twistiest way possible to Sparta, NC, spending the night & taking the twistiest way possible from there into EOM headquarters... Maggie Valley.

I'm wondering if there are any like minded individuals making their way down in a similar fashion that I might be able to hook up with.

& beyond anything else... ride safe & see you there.

Great idea for a thread, Heidi!

Although I am not travelling your direction, I am looking for someone who I can meet up with along the way from Indiana to NC. I will be leaving Thursday morning and need to be down at Maggie Valley by the evening.

Hi Heidi,

This was a good idea...

I will be leaving Exit 7 Woodstock GA north on I-575 around 8:30am (on Thursday)

It only takes 2 1/2 hours to get to the Tail of the Dragon from here and Hwy 129 between Robbinsville and Deals Gap is one of my favorite rides

Will have lunch in Telico Plains and then take the Cherohala Skyway back to Robbinsville

Will have to decide weather to take cut over to Hwy 28 or straight back to Hwy 74 so I can go through the Nantahala Gorge

and then boggie over to the hotel.... Should be at the hotel well before 4pm

If I went straight to the Hotel it is only 167 miles and a little over 3 hours so side trips on the way up is the way to go

If anyone wants to ride along let me know.. reply or PM

Later, Boomer

Agreed in the great idea-Heidi!!

Leaving from the Illinois-Indiana border about 3 pm central time on Thursday. Prob could see some folks that were at NAFO and are in their way to EOM. Taking Friday off school. I feel a cold coming on. "Cough cough".

I know I won't make it all the way down that night, but would like to get more than half of the 8 hour trip done on Thursday, so I am not saddle weary on Friday.

Please let me know if anyone is headed near I -74 as they cross into Indiana from Illinois.

Boomer, we plan on leaving early Thursday morning too, from Stone Mountain. I am thinking earlier the better, only because of rush-hour (and you know it's bad no matter what direction you are heading). I say early, but in reality I haven't even discussed it with my husband yet. He likes to give me a hard time when I say I plan on getting up super early to go ride and then just end up hitting the snooze for another hour or two. But, I've been excited about this for weeks so I don't see me hitting snooze that Thursday morning. Either way, I'll show him your post and see what he thinks!

Hi Heidi,
This was a good idea...

I will be leaving Exit 7 Woodstock GA north on I-575 around 8:30am (on Thursday)

It only takes 2 1/2 hours to get to the Tail of the Dragon from here and Hwy 129 between Robbinsville and Deals Gap is one of my favorite rides

Will have lunch in Telico Plains and then take the Cherohala Skyway back to Robbinsville

Will have to decide weather to take cut over to Hwy 28 or straight back to Hwy 74 so I can go through the Nantahala Gorge

and then boggie over to the hotel.... Should be at the hotel well before 4pm

If I went straight to the Hotel it is only 167 miles and a little over 3 hours so side trips on the way up is the way to go

If anyone wants to ride along let me know.. reply or PM

Later, Boomer

I will be starting Thursday from somewhere in TN and riding in to MV. It will probably involve the Cherahala, Hellbender and then on to MV.

I live in Townsend so will probably leave about 4:30am in order to get there in time for breakfast and meet up for Friday ride. This is my first EOM since 2005, looking forward to meeting everyone.

I will leave council bluffs, Iowa on Friday 1am and do my first Iron butt ride to MV hope to arrive friday night around 7pm. Will adjust time if work is done earlier in the week. Will need someone to sign my eye witness form for end of ride.

I leave the left coast around the 18th with stops in Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Kentucky before a couple days around Beckley. May even sneak a ride in with Spklbuk before a night in Wise with some darkside Wingabagos and then on to EOM
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I will leave council bluffs, Iowa on Friday 1am and do my first Iron butt ride to MV hope to arrive friday night around 7pm. Will adjust time if work is done earlier in the week. Will need someone to sign my eye witness form for end of ride.
There will be plenty of us crazy people already at MV to sign your form!

I leave the left coast around the 18th with stops in Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Kentucky before a couple days around Beckley. May even sneak a ride in with Spklbuk before a night in Wise with some darkside Wingabagos and then on to EOM
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Where will you be Thursday morning? Maybe you can meetup with someone on the way to MV.

Depending on your route. North or south, u will be about 7 miles from me. If u take I-74 and need anything at the Illinois/Indiana border, let me know. In case something puts you way behind on your schedule and u have to bail. My plans are listed above

Good luck with the IB quest.

My approach to EOM has changed. I was going to visit a high school friend in KC, MO the weekend of the 19th. She just got slammed with some teacher conference stuff for that weekend at the last minute. I'll now head straight to EOM stopping in Orangesburg, SC for some shut eye. I'll head to KC after the rally is over. I'll just do all the Sweeeet routes Clocklaw turned me onto in reverse. In OK with that! :D

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Where will you be Thursday morning? Maybe you can meetup with someone on the way to MV.
Won't get to Maggie Valley until the afternoon as I will find some indirect route from Wise Thursday.

i will be leaving pittsburgh on thursday morning around 6:30.

riding 2-up, my plan is to slab 79-19-77-81 to asheville.

depending on how we make time, we will either continue the slab or ride some twisties into MV.

i hope to make the Inn around dinner time. if i rememeber from last year its about 525 miles.

9/22 (Monday) - La Crosse to Nashville > Tuesday = N. Georgia into SC > Wednesday = Greenville, SC to Lenoir, NC > Thursday = Lenoir to MV.

Um, let's see...

17th - Leaving Toledo for Savannah

18-22 - recurrent training in GA

Leaving late afternoon on 22nd out of Savannah for maybe Asheville

23rd - Asheville? to Lexington

24th - visit my favorite distillery, then meet up with some friends in Louisville area for our annual 'fall ride' and head south

25-26 - no idea what the plan is other than me breaking off late Friday to be in MV

27 - EOM...YAY!

28 - meet back up with my buddies for the ride home

29th - hope my wife hasn't thrown all my stuff out

Um, let's see...17th - Leaving Toledo for Savannah

18-22 - recurrent training in GA

Leaving late afternoon on 22nd out of Savannah for maybe Asheville

23rd - Asheville? to Lexington

24th - visit my favorite distillery, then meet up with some friends in Louisville area for our annual 'fall ride' and head south

25-26 - no idea what the plan is other than me breaking off late Friday to be in MV

27 - EOM...YAY!

28 - meet back up with my buddies for the ride home

29th - hope my wife hasn't thrown all my stuff out
She might but, you can always buy new stuff. :D
Loving your itinerary! :)