Hooking up for the ride in... (your ride plans)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't wait to start the trip so I modified our stay and we will be in on Wedneday night. We are leaving after work on Wednesday from Atlanta so we probably won't see any of you on our travels. I suppose we will just bomb up the highway, have dinner at Corner Kitchen in Asheville and then hit Maggie Valley. We set up our new Sena's today and I plan on packing tonight and tomorrow since we won't have time on Tuesday as that's when my bike should be ready to pick up from the shop. :)

Plans almost final. Need some help or advice.

I am 550 miles from Maggie Valley. I can leave school at 2:30 on Thursday. That means getting out of town at 3:00. My bike and gear will all be packed and ready to go. I am 7 miles away from eastern time zone so those are central times. Means I will lose an hour

Basically I can't make it without riding a significant portion in the dark. I really would rather not ride mountain roads late at night in unfamiliar areas.

Any suggestions for places to stay for cheap/free south of Lexington area. I am only going to be there to sleep and split early in the am??

Thanks and ride safe all!!

Plans almost final. Need some help or advice. I am 550 miles from Maggie Valley. I can leave school at 2:30 on Thursday. That means getting out of town at 3:00. My bike and gear will all be packed and ready to go. I am 7 miles away from eastern time zone so those are central times. Means I will lose an hour Basically I can't make it without riding a significant portion in the dark. I really would rather not ride mountain roads late at night in unfamiliar areas. Any suggestions for places to stay for cheap/free south of Lexington area. I am only going to be there to sleep and split early in the am?? Thanks and ride safe all!!
Try hotwire.com. I just checked and found a few 2 star and 3 star hotels there on Thursday for $60-80.

Plans almost final. Need some help or advice. I am 550 miles from Maggie Valley. I can leave school at 2:30 on Thursday. That means getting out of town at 3:00. My bike and gear will all be packed and ready to go. I am 7 miles away from eastern time zone so those are central times. Means I will lose an hour Basically I can't make it without riding a significant portion in the dark. I really would rather not ride mountain roads late at night in unfamiliar areas. Any suggestions for places to stay for cheap/free south of Lexington area. I am only going to be there to sleep and split early in the am?? Thanks and ride safe all!!
Try hotwire.com. I just checked and found a few 2 star and 3 star hotels there on Thursday for $60-80.
I figured that is an option, but always an option down the list. I can always bring my tent and camp if there is a place someone knows is good. Heck, I could find a cabellas and camp in their parking lot.

I just hate spending 60/80 bucks for a room that only will be occupied for 10 hours. 60 bucks is 3 tanks of fuel plus a few drinks I could be buying for myself or someone else. 80 bucks is more than my dally average cost for my whole trip out west.

It would be great to ride into EOM from wherever.

Thank u allen for the suggestion.

Kentucky has gorgeous state parks. Check them out; maybe one isn't far off your track. Fees usually no more than $20, and real-live plumbing is only a few hundred yards away. (It is Kentucky!)

https://parks.ky.gov/maps/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be staying @ the Wilkesboro, NC Hampton Inn on the way down (Thursday night). Wilkesboro is about 25 miles south of Sparta if anyone is curious. If anyone is cruising through that area, contact me about riding in together, Heidi

I figured that is an option, but always an option down the list. I can always bring my tent and camp if there is a place someone knows is good. Heck, I could find a cabellas and camp in their parking lot.

I just hate spending 60/80 bucks for a room that only will be occupied for 10 hours. 60 bucks is 3 tanks of fuel plus a few drinks I could be buying for myself or someone else. 80 bucks is more than my dally average cost for my whole trip out west.

Oh! Didn't understand you wanted to camp instead of hotel/motel. Good luck finding something!

Lookie there Allen... another person that camps.

Oh! Didn't understand you wanted to camp instead of hotel/motel. Good luck finding something!
Not sure I WANT to camp, but I dont WANT to spend money that could be used to by fuel, food, or Alcohol. Not necessarily in that order.

I do find that camping gets me out on the road much earlier. I wind up leaving before 6 while sleeping on the ground.

Put me in a hotel bed with a tv and I wind up sleeping and lounging until 8 and not leaving until 9.

Lookie there Allen... another person that camps.
Yep...they're everywhere!
You should try it. Maybe you have and hated it.

Kentucky has gorgeous state parks. Check them out; maybe one isn't far off your track. Fees usually no more than $20, and real-live plumbing is only a few hundred yards away. (It is Kentucky!)
https://parks.ky.gov/maps/default.aspx
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check that out.

Do they have an anti banjo experience guarantee anywhere???

CAV any chance you'd like to make it to Lewisburg, WV? You'd be welcome to stay with me and share a Quality Inn room. The next morning I plan to ride the epic Hwy 16 all the way to the Blue Ridge Pkwy then down to EOM. It would cut your trip into two halves and give you the best part of the trip on Friday in daylight. I am one of 7 riders in Lewisburg Thursday night. It could be a bit far since it's over 8-hours from Georgetown, IL. Let me know.

Finally got an answer from my wife's work...she will be coming with me. Now our plans are to ride down to Georgetown, KY Wed evening then leave from there Thu. Anyone in our around Georgetown and wants to hook up around 10am for the ride to Maggie Valley?

CAV any chance you'd like to make it to Lewisburg, WV? You'd be welcome to stay with me and share a Quality Inn room. The next morning I plan to ride the epic Hwy 16 all the way to the Blue Ridge Pkwy then down to EOM. It would cut your trip into two halves and give you the best part of the trip on Friday in daylight. I am one of 7 riders in Lewisburg Thursday night. It could be a bit far since it's over 8-hours from Georgetown, IL. Let me know.
I would love to make that. Just too far I think. 520 miles and about 9 hours.

That is exactly what I was hoping for. I can't leave any earlier. That would puts me rolling into town at 10:30 at the earliest. I still have a few days to find a group ride in.

Thanks again.

Leaving tomorrow for EOM via Traxxion in Woodstock, GA.
Getting Hawkeye ready for her first out of state ride:

P9230450_zpsfbdc25fa.jpg
Glad you made it back home, even if it was on an airplane! Looking forward to seeing you and the Mrs again, this time in Maggie Valley!

Worked out most of the details

TominCa and I are going to meet in Tazwell and ride some road south toward Maggie Valley. Something called Rt. 16 or whatever its called :)

I am leaving home at no later than 3:00pm Central time and riding to the South Lexington Kentucky area. Maybe around Stanton or somewhere close. About 330 miles should be no problem before it gets too dark to be safe. Then the next morning I need to be at the McDonalds in Tazwell by 10:00am. That is a 188 mile ride across the Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway. Tazwell to Maggie is 200 miles. I bet that we go a little further than that.

Anyone in the Lexington area heading toward the Valley hit me up. Still looking for a definite place to bed down for Thursday night. I always bring my tent and sleeping bag.

Cav

PM sent

Looks like Cav-47 and Full House are making the trip. Should see FH in New Stanton, PA tomorrow and we'll join CAV-47 in Tazwell for the run across 16.

Good job hooking up guys!