Bitten by the spider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummYam

Reaction score
Okay so I've read some about this here on the Forum an now it's bit my arse.

Turn signal and main beam dash lights on first of all, yesterday same thing after starting up, also no paddle shift operation. Luckily foot shift still working so managed to get home.

Ho hum, time to do more forum searching I guess.

Is there a way to know whether the recall has been done already? Do they mark the bike or is there a vin registry?

Momma Yama and all her kingdom keep that VIN history.

Any service you do at a Yamaha dealer will be recorded in the registry and can be retrieved by any other Yamaha dealer. I'll bet it works even if you took your bike across the sea to a different continent. Or if you, say, crossed an international boundary like between Scotland and England. (Wait! That civil war got voted down.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it to the dealer. There's a recall on that. Good luck!
Checked this with a dealer. Two recalls done before my ownership, main switch and 'sub lead'. Guess it didn't fully address the problem as has been documented elsewhere on the forum.

Gonna work on it myself but don't have the time right now.......family commitments to attend to.

You had no probs and also got the recall done Vic?

Hi,

The front cowling connector #3 has caused such problems, it contains part of the neutral "spider" circuit.

Located near the S6 spider under the glove box.

It has the the daisy chained neutral currents of connectors 6,7 & 8 through one of it's connector pins.

There has been cases of spider connector failures even though Yamaha's wiring bridge been installed.

It only bridges out and reduces the load on the S4 connector.

You may wish to download this wiring diagram.

Take it to the dealer. There's a recall on that. Good luck!
Checked this with a dealer. Two recalls done before my ownership, main switch and 'sub lead'. Guess it didn't fully address the problem as has been documented elsewhere on the forum.

Gonna work on it myself but don't have the time right now.......family commitments to attend to.

You had no probs and also got the recall done Vic?
No problem at all on mine. They installed the sub lead.

Steve, riding season is about to start, so get that beauty fixed! Let me know if I can help in any way.

If the jumper was done and the harness still blew up you need to document the failure with the NHTSA, specifically detailing that the 'protective fix' provided as a remedy by Yamaha has failed (as was predicted).

There is serious danger to life and property of both the rider and to others on the road in the event that the failure manifests itself while the machine is in motion - moreso at night even.

Check out the link on the research topic and open a new report for your failure and please be specific about the fact that the harness recall was performed and the machine failed a second time.

I do strongly suggest having Yamaha replace the entire wiring harness.

You'll find the link in the top post of the thread below:0

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/137181-fjrf0090-ground-spider-research/page-1?do=findComment&comment=604263

Once you get Yamaha to replace the damaged harness take a read through the link listed below and then order some extra insurance.

Aftermarket Grounding Harness

I did my own inspection before the recall found nothing wrong but added the Brodie harness as a preventative measure and fortunately have never suffered a spider bite.

Huge thanks to all you guys for the sound advice and links.

I have the wiring diagram downloaded and will re read through the relevant posts, I've printed off a ton of stuff.

Vic......that's great, hope it remains that way.

Rob.....You can bet I'm on it asap. Will let you know re needing assistance. Won't say thanks coz you told me not to. But thanks.

If the jumper was done and the harness still blew up you need to document the failure with the NHTSA, specifically detailing that the 'protective fix' provided as a remedy by Yamaha has failed (as was predicted).
There is serious danger to life and property of both the rider and to others on the road in the event that the failure manifests itself while the machine is in motion - moreso at night even.

Check out the link on the research topic and open a new report for your failure and please be specific about the fact that the harness recall was performed and the machine failed a second time.

I do strongly suggest having Yamaha replace the entire wiring harness.

You'll find the link in the top post of the thread below:0

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/137181-fjrf0090-ground-spider-research/page-1?do=findComment&comment=604263
Bramfrank.....is it the case then that Yamaha pony up for the cost of the harness and replacement? I've read through a ton of posts on the topic and can't recall anything specific about this. I am very reluctant to go anywhere near my local dealerships for anything and prefer to try a fix myself using all the great info on the forum.

Belay that. Just re read your link and found the harness replacement by dealer content.

Jeez, decisions decisions.

That said, this is quite obviously a potentially serious issue. Presumably others have had a full harness replacement with an upgraded item that cures the faults for good?

I've never had a spider bite on any of my FJR's and did have Brodie install one of his harnesses on my last 07. That was before Yamaha did a recall to fix the harness. I think Brodie's harness is a better fix than the Yamaha solution.

Yeah, I want to install a Brodie or similar type harness as part of the fix for my bike. It seems a sound and logical approach to this problem.

I've read elsewhere of several guys who used to make them up for sale on the forum.

Does anyone know where I can get one from or even point me in the right direction to find one? Sure would appreciate being able to locate one this week so I can start the fix next weekend.

Steve, PM Brodie. I'm sure he has at least one handy. If not, for the right $$ he'll make you one. I'm sure he can knock one out in his sleep. :)

Fairly sure Brodie hasn't any left.

You could make up your own bridging circuit, had to do it on a mates bike with a crook S6 spider connector.

Took about 4 hours to solder pigtails onto each bridging connector then onto a new thick looping neutral wire back to the battery.

Not as nice as Brodie's harness but his bike hasn't played up since.

Doing this will also bypass the front cowling connector #3

Details here

Vic and Ken

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Think I will throw a plea out in the Wanted section in the hope someone can sell me a quick cure and as a backup plan, carry on thinking about what I need to get and also do to go with your fix Ken.

I've made up simple harnesses and done some soldering in a previous life so could prob make a workable job of it.

I have Brodie's harness on my bike, and when I took the bike into the shop (East Bay Motorsports) to do a fork refresh they ID'd that I was due for the harness recall. I declined and they let it go at that after a short discussion. I have strong confidence that Brodie's approach will work long term, but not sure what the outcome would be if applying the Yamaha fix on top of Brodie's harness. If I didn't have Brodie's harness already done, I would have gone with the recall without hesitation.