Newbie questions on what to buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelinLite

Reaction score
If this posting is not in the right place, please let me know and I'll move it. Also, I am not sure if these questions have been answered before, so apologies if so.

I am looking to buy an FJR and need to learn some things from you FJR veterans. First, about me and my riding style. I currently ride a gl1800 (Goldwing), and although I have over 50 years of riding experience, the kid in me still likes to hang off the seat. To enable me to ride the way I like, my gl1800 is running the Traxxion Full Monte (fork springs and AK-20s), tapered steering head bearings, fork brace and a Penske shock (with a modified clevis) riding on top of a 195/55-16, 18-pound car tire. As you provide guidance, please keep in mind that I don't want to alter my riding style (fun factor) so I will want a capable scoot.

The FJR would need Cruise control, ABS and adequate suspension. Traction control and a hook-up for an mp3 player would be nice as well. On my gl1800 I can control the music from the factory handlebar controls.

Sooo, here are some questions:

1) What is the difference between Gen-I, Gen-II and Gen-III FJRs?

2) Is there a Gen-IV?

3) Do FJRs have mp3 players or a hook-up for an mp3 player, and, handlebar controls for the volume of the music, changing of songs, etc?

4) Would I be better off to buy new or to purchase an older, low mileage FJR and add cruise control? I assume electronic cruise (not a throttle lock) is available for the older FJRs...right?

5) What is the consensus regarding the new ES forks versus the non-ES forks? From what I have read I am leaning towards non-ES forks and then rebuilding to suit me if required.

6) Given that the FJR is a Sport Tourer, do most riders find the suspension adequate or do the hard chargers end up having to rebuild the suspension anyway?

7) What is the longest duration that Yamaha will allow you to buy the extended warranty? Does the warranty pretty much cover everything other than general maintenance items? Is the warranty unlimited mileage?

8) What is consensus on "the best" top box/tour pack/trunk? Yamaha brand?, Givi brand?, Other?

9) Does anyone make an extra tall windshield for the FJR such that you must look through it?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Richard

Welcome to the forum!

1) I'll defer

2) Not in the USA

3) No. Get a Sena headset.

4) New, if it's affordable for YOU.

5) I'll defer

6) Personally, I'm find with stock. From Flatistan roads, to God's country in the Smokies. YMMV

7) As far as I know, 48 months.

8) I think Givi is preferred, but I'll defer to actual owners.

9) There are many aftermarket shields for just about anyone's taste.

Best of luck with your search for a FJR Richard, I very much doubt you'll be disappointed with whatever year you choose. That said, the GenIII's dominate the the whole friggin' bunch of 'em! :)

If this posting is not in the right place, please let me know and I'll move it. Also, I am not sure if these questions have been answered before, so apologies if so.
I am looking to buy an FJR and need to learn some things from you FJR veterans. First, about me and my riding style. I currently ride a gl1800 (Goldwing), and although I have over 50 years of riding experience, the kid in me still likes to hang off the seat. To enable me to ride the way I like, my gl1800 is running the Traxxion Full Monte (fork springs and AK-20s), tapered steering head bearings, fork brace and a Penske shock (with a modified clevis) riding on top of a 195/55-16, 18-pound car tire. As you provide guidance, please keep in mind that I don't want to alter my riding style (fun factor) so I will want a capable scoot.

The FJR would need Cruise control, ABS and adequate suspension. Traction control and a hook-up for an mp3 player would be nice as well. On my gl1800 I can control the music from the factory handlebar controls.

Sooo, here are some questions:

2) Is there a Gen-IV?

3) Do FJRs have mp3 players or a hook-up for an mp3 player, and, handlebar controls for the volume of the music, changing of songs, etc?

4) Would I be better off to buy new or to purchase an older, low mileage FJR and add cruise control? I assume electronic cruise (not a throttle lock) is available for the older FJRs...right?

5) What is the consensus regarding the new ES forks versus the non-ES forks? From what I have read I am leaning towards non-ES forks and then rebuilding to suit me if required.

6) Given that the FJR is a Sport Tourer, do most riders find the suspension adequate or do the hard chargers end up having to rebuild the suspension anyway?

7) What is the longest duration that Yamaha will allow you to buy the extended warranty? Does the warranty pretty much cover everything other than general maintenance items? Is the warranty unlimited mileage?

8) What is consensus on "the best" top box/tour pack/trunk? Yamaha brand?, Givi brand?, Other?

9) Does anyone make an extra tall windshield for the FJR such that you must look through it?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Richard
I have a 2008 goldwing ABS and recently bought a 2014 fjr1300abs. As you know, the goldwing is a fine machine, but for pure riding fun, there is no comparison in my view. The Yamaha touring windshield gives fair protection, but not like the goldwing, at least at highway speeds. Take her up to 130 or so, and the Yamaha faring comes into it's own. The biggest improvement if you ride a lot is the fuel economy. Riding just as hard as I want, my fuel mileage is right at 48-50mpg. The electronic cruise control on the 2014 FJR will allow you to cruise at 100+ and is smoother and locks in quickly unlike the wing. You had better be ready when you put on the full panic stop abs brakes. The riding position on the fjr takes a little getting used to vs the Wing. Keep the wing if you can, it is the gold standard for comfortable touring for a reason.

Let's see how much of this I get right (there are those who will correct me all over this place...

Besides religious, Gen1 was lighter, more power. Gen2 had some early electrical issues and heavier, Gen3 new digital throttle & engine controls, bigger style change.

2) Is there a Gen-IV?

Not yet, only 2 years into Gen3, but the 2014 is SWEET!

Absolutely none of that (stock) That's what bluetooth in helmet + RAM mounts are for.

The '14 ES sounds good for your manic riding choices

Potentially more to go wrong, but great if your loading & ride style is all over the map; others with first hand knowledge will chime in.

Long and/or hard riders regularly opt for aftermarket, but that's personal.

Don't know.

Lots of personal opinions on this, Yamaha is $$$, the usual focus seems to be around single key convenience or not.

Yamaha Touring, Cee Baily, Rifle (and others) https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30339

You asked a lot of questions. First off, if saving some money is important to you, get yourself a 2013. The prices are FAR better than the 2014. I don't think you'll need the ES suspension upgrade. The standard FJR will handle significantly better than your Honda, and unless you're one to grind the footpegs whenever you want to cut a few corners, the standard FJR will be just fine. We're coming up to the time of year when you can find them on this forum el cheapo. Be patient, one will be along soon, they always are.

I wouldn't concern myself with extended warranties. The FJR is one of the most reliable bikes ever made. It is very likely that you'll never use any warranty you might get with your FJR.

Top box? Givi E55. I love mine. Picture? CLICKY

Music? I use my smart phone and a set of custom molded earbuds. Love em. They don't make a stereo on ANY bike that can compete.

Windshield? personal preference. Wanna look through it? a 4 inch over will do the trick easily. Remember, you've got an adjustable windshield. I've found that for turbulence, about 1/3 of the way up is best with my Cee Bailey +4 (tall) reverse flip.

Comparing the 3 generations? CLICKY HERE for comparison matrix.

You have been a darksider. You can do the same on the FJR. I run a Michelin Pilot Exalto on mine. Love it.

Lastly, have you ridden an FJR yet? Coming from a couch, you might appreciate a different seat. There are plenty available.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll answer 5, 6, 7 and 8 as a current '14ES owner, a prior owner of an '08AE and '09A and having ridden an '05 with an aftermarket suspension.

5) ES forks do not change with the rear pre-load adjustments. The upside-down forks do a great job - more compliant without too much stiffness or softness as compared to the Gen 2's I've ridden and not noticeably different than the upgraded FJR.

6) The '14ES suspension will work well for most and may be the best choice for those who ride a fair amount of 1up and 2up. Also, the difference between Soft -3 to Hard +3 is significant and will allow the bike to swallow road imperfections in the former setting and hold the road tightly during aggressive cornering in the latter.

7) 48 months in addition to the original 12 month warranty. It is full coverage, except wear items, unlimited mileage.

8) I think Shad is a great deal for the money. Givi racks work with Shad top cases. I prefer the standard Shad rack for the FJR since it looks clean then get a Stifi kit to reinforce the (potential) weak sub-frame in the back. This setup looks better and costs less than the Givi 357 rack option.

Last edited by a moderator:
From 2003 (US) to 2014, every FJR ever produced is a very fine machine.

The basic machine remains largely unchanged, even though they have tinkered with the packaging and options. Early ones are cheap, and mostly run perfectly well (Mine is an '05 with 93k on it, and it's fine). Later ones offer terrific value for money.

As for upgrades .... Well you can keep spending money until you run out. If you have my budget, you can happily run a 3000 mile weekend on elderly, tired suspension and never have a moments concern that the bike will get you home with a smile on your face.

If a Sports/Touring motorcycle is in your future, with a definite lean towards "Sports", then any FJR will feel like a Ninja compared with the very capable, but oh so heavy, Gold Wing.

Most everything has been answered so no need adding to the clutter...

Your biggest bang for the buck is to buy a lightly used '08 and up FJR. Add aftermarket suspension, [pick your favorite fork / shock vendor] cruise control ['13 and newer is stock], seat, windshield and SENA for comms.

In the end, you'll have a fun-to-ride bulletproof platform that will take you cross country in comfort.

Good luck and happy hunting!

--G

If you sell the wing, look for a 2003 or 2004 FJR on craigslist with high mileage. Take cash to the buyer and do a test ride (you don't have to buy the bike).

See if you can find a dealer to let you test ride a new one, or maybe a used bike in their inventory that's 1-2 years old.

There are feature differences between them, and your list of needs puts you closer to the more recent bikes, or highly modifying an older bike.

Riding a new FJR and a 10+ year-old FJR will help you decide whether going from a $4000 bike to a $12,000 bike is worth the cash.