Went Down Last Thursday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Was on a solo ride last Thursday down SAGE RD. (R3) which runs from Hemet to Highway 79 in North San Diego Country and is pretty desolate.

Was coming down a right hand curve and was slightly leaning but not much as I was only going maybe 35/40, anyway hit some sand over the road and the FJR went sideways.

Almost saved it as the tires regripped but then went into a violent tank slapper, took all I could to hold on veered just off the side of the road and there was thick dirt. Bike hit that and went down and threw me on the street.

Broke 3 ribs on my left side and the collar bone, MAN broken ribs hurt like a bitch!!! I had one cracked one before but it wasn't this bad! Can't lay down just catnap sitting up.

Bikes fairing is trashed and it sat on the left side so I'm not sure of the damage. Nationwide insurance adjuster says he's familiar with the bike and thinks they will repair it. (2008 with 16,000 miles) I was hoping they'd total it as now I have to pay a $500.00 deductible plus an ambulance ride PLUS loss of work that I don't get paid for, that's gonna hurt.

Anyway I thank God I wasn't hurt worse like spinal injuries or back, those can last forever!

One question, took some strong pain killers from Thursday until this morning and haven't had a dump since Wednesday night.

I switched to ALEVE this morning. You guys got any tips other than a good laxative to help me go??

Thanks!

Strong pain meds are constipating, so use as little as possible. Try taking Colace (softener) daily, lots of fruits and veggies, and push the water.

Also, alternate the Meds w/ Aleve to get the best of both worlds. Get well soon, the bike can always be fixed (later) , or upgraded to a Gen III (like I did).
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to read about your incident, heal quick! Hopefully there will be a good outcome for both you and your motorcycle.

I found that an elastic rib wrap helped me stay comfortable and reduced the need for pain meds. Moving, getting up and the deadly sins of laughing, coughing and sneezing will still get ya, but once in a stable position the rib wrap helps immensely.

I broke ribs and a collarbone last fall in a mountain bike crash. I feel your pain.

Ask your Dr to prescribe Flexeril. It's a muscle relaxer, but worked better for me than pain killers that also made me nauseous.

And there's nothing worse than dry heaves with broken ribs....

Constipation is a common side effect of opiate based pain killers. Since you have stopped taking them you should have things moving along normally in a day or three.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I ride R3/Sage Road about once a month or so...fun road. I've never hit any sand there, but a few corners always look sketchy to me, so I tend to slow way down around them. The thought of hitting sand in those corners scares the bejesus out of me.

Broken ribs sounds pretty nasty. My buddy broke 4 ribs when we went down recently. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hope the pain subsides quickly.

I hope it all works out with the bike repair/replacement and you can get back on the road as soon as you feel up to it.

I hate it on right handers when cars and trucks with cattle/horse trailers kick sand and gravel from the shoulder onto the road. Heal quickly, then go put about 6 basketball sized rocks about 6 inches off the pavement to stop the cars from trying to kill us.

Broken ribs are painful as hell, glad it wasn't any worse. Hope your insurance comes through for you, your bike is repaired to your satisfaction, and you heal quickly.

Sorry to hear about your crash, Jerry.

Regarding the deductible on the bike repair, maybe there will be some pieces that you can get reimbursed for that you don't actually have to replace. When I dropped mine, they paid me for my slightly damaged canyon cage and Givi bag. Neither was damaged badly enough to worry about.

Good to hear u will be okay. And here is to hoping you have a "crappy" Monday

I had an accident and broke a bunch of stuff including 6 ribs. I dealt with the bowel problem as well. To the tune of 17 days. But 11 of them were in the hospital so drugged up, I cared about nothing.

Get well soon.

So sorry to hear this. Wish you well.

I wonder if an airbag vest would protect the ribs in a fall like this? I have been wearing one every time I ride but I never had to test it.

Thanks for the sentiment guys, and the tips.

6 broken ribs !! MAN I can't imagine that!!

I took a laxative in the early afternoon and it kicked in so all is well with that.

17 days without a bowel movement FJR Pilot WOW I didn't think that was possible without something bursting and toxic crap getting into your system but you obviously weren't eating much!

Friend of mine uses that airbag vest also but hasn't had a chance to test it and that's a good thing!

Get well soon... I am sure you will shit your pants as soon as your Insurance company makes you a offer...

I just had to say that..

Smitty