Went Down Last Thursday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I have a friend at work that broke 2 ribs, one of which collapsed his lung & a broken collar bone (both scapula & clavical) in a dirt bike accident. After 2 months of recovery, he said the collar bone was way more painful than the broken ribs, though that was no picnic either, along with the collapsed lung. Those types of injuries can seem to take forever to heal, especially if you are older. This guy's in his mid 50's. Hopefully you are much younger & will recover more quickly.

Sorry to hear about the crash, and, as you said, it could have been much worse. Nothing to be done for broken ribs except take it easy and don't laugh or cough. Hope you heal quickly, sir.

Always a bummer to hear about one of us going down. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Smitty's comment was pretty funny--hope you didn't hurt yourself laughing. In fact, that's why I almost didn't post this thought:

. . . pain killers that also made me nauseous. And there's nothing worse than dry heaves with broken ribs....
For "something worse," I was thinking about having nausea and lockjaw at the same time, so I guess it's good you don't have that.
smile.png
Get well soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Hope all works out in your favor. Regarding the BM issue, all I have to do is show up for work. Been here less than an hour and already have the shits.

I can very much relate to your story.

I had a similar get-off in 2012, albeit without your injuries.

Here is hoping you heal fast........mentally as well.

Sorry to hear about your get-off.

Jerry, sorry to hear of your incident and I hope you heal up quickly....... but while you're waiting, tune in to some Red Wings games and all will be good!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have a friend at work that broke 2 ribs, one of which collapsed his lung & a broken collar bone (both scapula & clavical) in a dirt bike accident. After 2 months of recovery, he said the collar bone was way more painful than the broken ribs, though that was no picnic either, along with the collapsed lung. Those types of injuries can seem to take forever to heal, especially if you are older. This guy's in his mid 50's. Hopefully you are much younger & will recover more quickly.
Well I'm around the same age, 54 in December.

For me the ribs hurt more than the collarbone and since last Thursday the pain is a little lighter, not as painful to get up off the couch or sit down ect....

Still too uncomfortable to sleep laying down so I have to put up with waking up about once an hour or 2 while trying to sleep on the couch sitting up.

I took a look at the bike today.

Damage is left side fairing deep/scratched and will need replacing along with the screen and left side mirror. Also front fender has a few scratches at the tip for about 2 inches.

There is once deep scratch on the gas tank just left of the tank pad.

I'm seriously thinking of covering all these pieces in Carbon Fiber wrap to save a $500.00 deductible....but then I'm thinking the wrap will probably be around $200 so the savings won't be that great.

I liked that Cal Sci Shorty tinted screen I had, wish I didn't lose that.

No damage to the gauges, bike starts fine.

One thing I noticed.

That Cal Sci Shorty screen didn't sheer off, it cracked in pieces with a real jagged sharp piece still mounted to the screws and sticking up quite a ways, glad I didn't get stuck with that!!!

Man sorry to hear about your get off, Jerry. It helps to keep a sense of humor, just not to the point of laughter.

All good bits of advice in this thread. Heal well!

Pretty sure I'm gonna sell the bike and hang up riding.

I've been down twice first time with a broken arm around 2006,now this......next time might be my last or with serious lifelong injuries like spine/back/neck ect......I've been lucky, don't want to push my luck.

It's been a great bike and I just turned 16,000 miles on it,2008, second owner. I bought it with only 2,900 miles in Feb 2013.

Only damage is cosmetic if anyone is interested PM me, I'll place an add when I get it back from the dealer.

Figure I'll ask $7,500.

I understand this. After any accident, you always wonder "what if?"

If this is your time to get off the carousel, and you are happy with that, so be it...but the thought of quitting because you don't like your odds is very natural.

Have your odds of serious injury or death increased because of this incident? No. However, you are more painfully aware of what actually happens in an accident, and are reminded that it CAN happen to you...as it can to all of us.

If yer mind is made up, go ahead, stop.

However, don't be surprised if you have a change of heart later. None of us would be surprised if you did.

+1 to Mr. Wheaton.

My advice, which is free, and therefore maybe worth what you paid for it ;)

But don't be too quick to make a decision regarding riding again. Give it a few months to sink in.

People will advise you to ride again as if you've got something to prove ..... you don't. But if it's something that's been important to you, maybe you'll miss it too much to quit. Maybe now it seems like the right decision, but next spring ... who knows but you?

In the end, only you can make the right decision, but just don't be too hasty.

Best wishes to you and heal quickly.

Was on a solo ride last Thursday down SAGE RD. (R3) which runs from Hemet to Highway 79 in North San Diego Country and is pretty desolate.
Was coming down a right hand curve and was slightly leaning but not much as I was only going maybe 35/40, anyway hit some sand over the road and the FJR went sideways.

Almost saved it as the tires regripped but then went into a violent tank slapper, took all I could to hold on veered just off the side of the road and there was thick dirt. Bike hit that and went down and threw me on the street.

Broke 3 ribs on my left side and the collar bone, MAN broken ribs hurt like a bitch!!! I had one cracked one before but it wasn't this bad! Can't lay down just catnap sitting up.

Bikes fairing is trashed and it sat on the left side so I'm not sure of the damage. Nationwide insurance adjuster says he's familiar with the bike and thinks they will repair it. (2008 with 16,000 miles) I was hoping they'd total it as now I have to pay a $500.00 deductible plus an ambulance ride PLUS loss of work that I don't get paid for, that's gonna hurt.

Anyway I thank God I wasn't hurt worse like spinal injuries or back, those can last forever!

One question, took some strong pain killers from Thursday until this morning and haven't had a dump since Wednesday night.

I switched to ALEVE this morning. You guys got any tips other than a good laxative to help me go??

Thanks!
Was on a solo ride last Thursday down SAGE RD. (R3) which runs from Hemet to Highway 79 in North San Diego Country and is pretty desolate.
Was coming down a right hand curve and was slightly leaning but not much as I was only going maybe 35/40, anyway hit some sand over the road and the FJR went sideways.

Almost saved it as the tires regripped but then went into a violent tank slapper, took all I could to hold on veered just off the side of the road and there was thick dirt. Bike hit that and went down and threw me on the street.

Broke 3 ribs on my left side and the collar bone, MAN broken ribs hurt like a bitch!!! I had one cracked one before but it wasn't this bad! Can't lay down just catnap sitting up.

Bikes fairing is trashed and it sat on the left side so I'm not sure of the damage. Nationwide insurance adjuster says he's familiar with the bike and thinks they will repair it. (2008 with 16,000 miles) I was hoping they'd total it as now I have to pay a $500.00 deductible plus an ambulance ride PLUS loss of work that I don't get paid for, that's gonna hurt.

Anyway I thank God I wasn't hurt worse like spinal injuries or back, those can last forever!

One question, took some strong pain killers from Thursday until this morning and haven't had a dump since Wednesday night.

I switched to ALEVE this morning. You guys got any tips other than a good laxative to help me go??

Thanks!
Hope your insurance is good - my ambulance ride from Thunderhill Raceway to the clinic was 7 miles AND $4000!!! That stupid taxi service was nearly 10x what the cost was for the emergency room doctor, and about $600 per mile!

Sorry to hear of the bust up - collar bones and ribs are indeed a bitch

For me the ribs hurt more than the collarbone and since last Thursday the pain is a little lighter, not as painful to get up off the couch or sit down ect....

Still too uncomfortable to sleep laying down so I have to put up with waking up about once an hour or 2 while trying to sleep on the couch sitting up.
So I guess you're not getting surgery on the collarbone? I had to wait a week between my accident and the surgery and it was the worst week of my life. But once they screwed it all back together again it felt better immediately. Don't know what the details are, but if you've got a choice between surgery and just resting it, I'd go for the surgery (as long as the financial hit is covered).

So I guess you're not getting surgery on the collarbone? I had to wait a week between my accident and the surgery and it was the worst week of my life. But once they screwed it all back together again it felt better immediately. Don't know what the details are, but if you've got a choice between surgery and just resting it, I'd go for the surgery (as long as the financial hit is covered).
The emergency room doc who looked at the x-rays said everything was pretty much in place to heal or so she said.

My collarbone doesn't hurt half as much as the 3 broken ribs with the rib or ribs by my heart hurting the most. I think she said I broke number 7,8 and 10 on my left side.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Hope your insurance is good - my ambulance ride from Thunderhill Raceway to the clinic was 7 miles AND $4000!!! That stupid taxi service was nearly 10x what the cost was for the emergency room doctor, and about $600 per mile!

Sorry to hear of the bust up - collar bones and ribs are indeed a bitch
Oh Wow $4,000 I hope not!!

My ride was like 15 miles or so.

Going to have to see if the Wife's medical which I'm on will pay for the ambulance ride as I didn't have medical on the cycle policy even though I had FULL COVERAGE insurance??

How come when you buy FULL coverage auto insurance the medical is included but If you buy cycle insurance it's "extra"?? An injury is a injury??

When my wife got run down by a truck on her bike the helicopter ride was just shy of 20k. Those get better quick rigs are spendy transportation.

It's bs on the medical coverage. On mine if I have a passenger they are covered but I'm not. If I crash I'm saying I was on the back seat.
uhoh.gif

My last ambulance ride was >$1,200 for 6 miles. The responders checked my pulse, confirmed that I was pretty well phucked and drove be to the hospital. Nothing was used or consumed, it was just a taxi ride with pretty lights and a boring sound track. When I submitted the bill to my very good insurance company their response was essentially, "Are you kidding us? That's ridiculous." My insurance company refused to pay over $150 for the bill saying that this amount was 'within guidelines' (at the time). I sure hope your bill is reasonable and within guidelines!

BTW, part of the reason for the ride was 8 broken ribs. The ribs were broken away from the sternum, broken off the spine and several broken in the center too, plus one was driven through a kidney as well as other skeletal inconveniences that let limbs bend in odd directions. (Non motorcycle.)

SoCalFJR1300, you gotta do what you gotta do. No loss of face, no loss of macho; nothing like that from me or anyone else who is an honest friend.

Hope your injuries heal quickly and properly, and that your dreams are pleasant ones.

edited.

Hope you get better soon, and with healing your risk decision moves back toward riding, but your decision is understandable. You're not along in coming to that difficult decision.