Went Down Last Thursday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it wasn't worse... It was certainly bad enough. Hydrate like you're running a marathon. Even though it means more painful trips to the bathroom.

Was on a solo ride last Thursday down SAGE RD. (R3) which runs from Hemet to Highway 79 in North San Diego Country and is pretty desolate.

Was coming down a right hand curve and was slightly leaning but not much as I was only going maybe 35/40, anyway hit some sand over the road and the FJR went sideways.
Almost saved it as the tires regripped but then went into a violent tank slapper, took all I could to hold on veered just off the side of the road and there was thick dirt. Bike hit that and went down and threw me on the street.

Broke 3 ribs on my left side and the collar bone, MAN broken ribs hurt like a bitch!!! I had one cracked one before but it wasn't this bad! Can't lay down just catnap sitting up.

Bikes fairing is trashed and it sat on the left side so I'm not sure of the damage. Nationwide insurance adjuster says he's familiar with the bike and thinks they will repair it. (2008 with 16,000 miles) I was hoping they'd total it as now I have to pay a $500.00 deductible plus an ambulance ride PLUS loss of work that I don't get paid for, that's gonna hurt.

Anyway I thank God I wasn't hurt worse like spinal injuries or back, those can last forever!

One question, took some strong pain killers from Thursday until this morning and haven't had a dump since Wednesday night.
I switched to ALEVE this morning. You guys got any tips other than a good laxative to help me go??

Thanks!

Like Wheatie said, there will always be what-if's... My personal favorite would be... What if your aunt had a set of nuts, she would be your uncle..

but here's my bit to add...

I would not quit just yet. I crashed in 1989 and didn't work for 15 months. That's a very long time without a pay check. But I remember it was maybe 3 or 4 months after returning to work it hit me... All that pain and Raman noodles was not that bad. And I need another motorcycle pronto.

After awhile, it will be fine. And you will want to be back on the bike.. park the bike over in the corner and cover it up. Out of sight out of mind...

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies again guys.

Pain is getting a little better as the days pass, will be one week this Thursday and can almost lay down without pain the ribs actually hurt more to stand or walk. I can sit still without pain which is nice.

If it was just the collarbone break I would only have missed a couple days work as the ribs are the kicker.

The first 3 days were the most intense pain!

Should be getting a call from the dealer (or adjuster)by the end of the week with the damage cost.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sand and wet manhole covers always give me constipation, usually followed by a warm feeling in my pants.

Hope you feel better soon and get back on.

Sorry as well to hear of your mishap. Hope your healed up soon. Only thing I might add is I recently lowered the deductible on all five of my vehicles due to a recent rash of idiotic hit and run clowns where I live and it has already paid off with two major claims in two months. And the same car. Went from 500 to 100 deductible and cost difference is not that much. Take care and be safe. pm.

As others have said, now is not the time to be making the decision on whether to hang up your helmet or not. Not making a decision IS making a decision! After my accident, it went something like this:

I'll never ride again.

Wait, how could I NOT ride again?

How could I ever ride again after what I'd been through?!? WTF am I thinking?

I have to ride again.

No you don't, dumbass.

Shut up, moron!!

And that was pretty much the first 15 minutes I started thinking about it
laugh.png
... went on like that for a long time. For now, riding is not an option for you while you heal... so focus on healing. When the time is right, you'll know what the right decision is for the time being. You can sell the bike but there will always be other bikes should you change your mind later on down the road. Do what is right for you.
cool.png

SoCal, a quote from a bud of mine who broke both wrists in the same crash while riding my MX track.

Donnie, when you break one wrist, you find out who your friends are.When you break BOTH wrists, you find out who your TRUE friends are! (ewwww)
Good luck with the healing and decision.