6'4" and Wind buffeting on gen 3 solutions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 6'4" and getting beat up by buffeting with stock shield on gen 3, looking for some advice
I'm 6'3 and have a Gen II bike with a stock windscreen. Im afraid that at our height there's basically no way around wind blast and in most cases less wind protection is better.

When on the freeway I often find that having the screen almost at the bottom as that the wind hits me in the neck region is best. Really noisy - but it seems to work the best for me.

I did my morning commute on the Speed Triple this morning with zero wind protection and I tend to prefer that....and my commute is 100 miles of mostly highway.

So unless you go full Goldwing windscreen, I doubt you'll ever get total protection - even then you're going to be dealing with crazy windblast around your helmet which IMHO is worse

I'm only 6'1" but I prefer to get a nice stable stream of air running right about the top of my helmet shield. Helps ventilate the helmet.

I'm 5' 11" and I get buffeting too. I put the Vstream sport touring windscreen on, and I adjust the height so the blast hits at the top of my helmet, just above the face shield. The buffeting is minimal at that level, and the air flow seems to stablize my helmet. I suggest you get a taller windscreen (Vstream or Cee Bailey would be good choices) so that you can experiment with adjusting the airflow until you find a sweet spot.

I have the Cee Bailey on a Gen I with bar risers which causes me to sit up another 2". I NEVER need it all the way up and i'm 6-2. The only time I put it all the way up is to hear my wife when we use the intercom on the freeway. I can adjust it to stay dry in the rain and for normal riding I set it to just move the air over my head. I don't like looking through a windshield so this works PERFECT for me. Somehow it puts the wind just over my head without having to look through plastic. Check the link here. https://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fjr1300_2013rev_ws.html It should work for your size.

Lots of options for windshields. Take a look at Cee Baileys and VStream for different shapes and sizes. I'm a fan of the reverse contour CB shields as they are well made and work great for me.

Like many other items...windshields are a personal choice, what works for one might not work for others.

Good luck!

--G

On my current bike I have the CalSci 4" taller shield. I like it and depending on the speed, I can usually adjust it to eliminate the buffeting. I have had Cee Bailey windscreens in the past and they are very well made. If find the CalSci screen performs just as well at a lower cost.

Welcome kpaulson!

The solution ''for me''
smile.png

Have a look..

https://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php

https://www.laminarlip.com/australian.pdf

Works great on the stock windshield and eliminates the buffeting.I am very happy with this thing on my 03/abs.

Also works very good for the passenger!

fjr2013web1_zps379013ce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock shield is a joke. If I wanted to ride in shorts and flip flops with my left hand on my hip, it might suffice. But for an adult motorcycle, not so much. The yamaha stock touring screen is an excellent replacement. I recommend it. I have the largest Cee Bailey they sell. It provides some of the wind protection that most sport tourer's have from the factory. But there's a lot of cavitation behind it- I'm never going to be in a comfortable still pocket of air like on a BMW RT or Honda Goldwing. I like the Cee Bailey for winter, but will probably switch back to the yamaha Touring screen for spring/summer/fall.

I am 6'4" and getting beat up by buffeting with stock shield on gen 3, looking for some advice

I'm 6'5" with my boots on. The Yamaha Gen III touring screen works for me, mostly smooth air. Behind Semi's on the Interstate not so much. It's a trade off, I've had bigger screens on other bikes, but I melted in the summer with them.

For me, the bigger issue is wind hitting my arms/elbows and funneling up to my helmet. I have the stock touring screen and it helps with the airflow, but I think some kind of brushbusters or deflectors for the hands/arms would be the ticket. Maybe a wider but not any taller screen would help, not a fan of barn doors. ff

For me, the bigger issue is wind hitting my arms/elbows and funneling up to my helmet. I have the stock touring screen and it helps with the airflow, but I think some kind of brushbusters or deflectors for the hands/arms would be the ticket. Maybe a wider but not any taller screen would help, not a fan of barn doors. ff
Yamaha's "Knuckle visors"? Easy to fit, reverts to stock in seconds. Protects mirrors from minor scratches.

(Click on image for larger view)

They certainly change the airflow, and do keep my hands warmer. I don't like the look of them, though.

Waffling between knuckle visors and barkbusters. Are the knuckle visors available in 2014 red?

... Are the knuckle visors available in 2014 red?
Can't help you there, I'm from out of town. In the UK there are "Lava red" ones, 1MC-F61C0-30-00.

Combined with the Yamaha touring shield half way to fully up, I find the airflow to be too still for good ventilation, but then I'm a height-challanged 5'8 1/2".

Pictures on your site are very helpful. Thanks. If I can find matched, I'm ordering a set. If I can't, I'll probably order and paint them.

Seems like a vent like on the Gold Wings and now on the Concours would be great. I have the barn door Rifle and without the block install, it does a great job blocking wind/noise, however there is too much back pressure. I typically run it with the tuning block installed and it's decent. I'm guessing it would be nearly perfect installed without the tuning block, but with a small vent to reduce back pressure and add some adjustable ventilation.

Pictures on your site are very helpful. Thanks. If I can find matched, I'm ordering a set. If I can't, I'll probably order and paint them.
You can buy a set from here in a good price but not in red color: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Star-Motorcycle-OEM-2013-YNM5-FJR1300A-Knuckle-Visors-Handguard-Mirrors-/291137634580?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c927c114&vxp=mtr

And repaint them in red color with an aerosol,will need a base coat aerosol,a top coat aerosol and a clear coat aerosol from colorite: https://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

But,the total cost will be about $220+.

They cost in Europe about $210 + $35 shipping.

I can buy these in red color 1MC-F61C0-30-00 from Greece and send you if you like.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/fjr1300ae.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=1MC-F61C0-10-00&year=2015

https://www.motopissaris.gr/full_product.php?prod_id=1MCF61C03000

Here's what I have found about various windshield heights available for Gen 3 FJR's:

Stock shield is 17 5/8"

Yamaha Touring shield is 21 7/8"

Cee Bailey makes three heights: 19", 21" and 23" all have the reverse flip profile. They also have a wide option for each of these heights.

Vstream makes three heights: Sport 17.25", SportTour 20.25" and Touring 23.25", all with the typical V-stream contour

Calsci has 5 heights: Shorty +0", Sport +2.5", Medium +4", Large +5.5" and XL at +7".