Windscreen shimming

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gospel Rider

Reaction score
I will most likely need to replace my stock windscreen as I get pretty buffeted at higher speed and have a hard time carrying on a conversation over my communication device. I am 6-2 and 33” inseam.
Before I do, I wonder if it is safe and worth the trouble to try to shim the stock windshield into a more upright position?
If so, where can I find specific info on the process.
I look forward to your input.
Thank you,
GR

I don't think shimming a stock shield is going to get a person that's 6'2" what you likely want. Even if you grab another partial inch with shimming, your shoulders will still be out. I'm 6' 3" and tried Cee Bailyey's, Calsci, and found the Rifle +2 to be the right amount of coverage, but the +4 too floppy in the air stream.

Windshields have been talked about many times on the forum as well. Try searching on terms like +tall +windshield and see previous discussions as Rifle's not the only game in town.

Unfortunately, neither Cee Bailey nor Rifle will be an option any longer, unless you can find a used one. Cee Bailey stopped making MC windshields a number of years ago and Rifle has apparently gone out of business.
Calsci and VStream have worked for some people. As suggested, the search function can be your friend. Note that Gen I, II and III+ have different (and non-interchangeable) designs and a brand that works well for one may not for another... (You didn't mention your model year.)

I agree that shimming a stock shield is unlikely to get you to where you want to be, but it really doesn't cost anything to try.

I have not heard of anyone shimming a windscreen to a more upright position. There have been several, including myself, that have shimmed them to less upright positions. For me it was moderately and only qualitatively successful. It's a very quick and easy experiment to do with a stack of washers.

I have not heard of anyone shimming a windscreen to a more upright position. There have been several, including myself, that have shimmed them to less upright positions. For me it was moderately and only qualitatively successful. It's a very quick and easy experiment to do with a stack of washers.
Well now you have! Some have always been a proponent of shimming to lay the windshield down flatter. I found that all that did is move the 70 mph jetstream of air off the windshield from my forehead to squarely at my chin. Even with the tallest VStream I was getting pounding headaches and blurred vision. F that, I want calmer air not a jet blast to the helmet. I shimmed mine (a Gen3 Cee Bailey btw) to be more vertical. When fully up the flip at the top of the screen sends the jetstream over my head instead of into it.

At 6'1", 33" inseam, I had the same issue as you do. I installed the Yamaha Touring widscreen and it helped, but did not completely solve the problem. I installed the Puig windscreen extender on top of that, which solved the problem. With the windscreen down and the extender down, the wind stream hits me at the top of my chest, right where the intake vents on my jacket are, perfect for summer riding. With the windscreen and the extender in the fully up position, the windstream clears my helmet and leaves me in a quiet bubble. YMMV.

I am 6’5”, 33 inseam, with stock seat in high position and stock bars
I’ve found the smoothest ride to be the stock shorty windscreen. I get more wind but it’s a smooth flow. At highway speed in full up position I can lean slightly forward and be out of most of the wind without buffeting. Only my shoulders are still exposed. I had the Yamaha touring screen for a year and could not find any position on it that didn’t cause turbulence. I don’t think standing it up further would have improved the situation and may make it worse.

For me, the turbulence/ cavitation is what causes fatigue and headaches. It’s all about getting a smooth quiet flow more than keeping wind off me.

During the winter when temperature and water are a concern I switch to an extra wide and tall Calsci. I’ve found it to provide excellent wind protection but I have to constantly tweak the position to avoid cavitation on the top of my helmet as my speed changes. It has a pretty noticeable low pressure zone behind the screen that wants to pull me forward. If you ride leaned or are smaller in the torso it might not be a problem for you.

Frankly I’ve found the FJR to be extremely loud and turbulent in general. I have a quieter ride on my MT07 at highway speeds. Much more pressure but none of the wind noise

For me, the turbulence/ cavitation is what causes fatigue and headaches. It’s all about getting a smooth quiet flow more than keeping wind off me.

I just installed some of this "airLift" edging on my Touring Screen. Unfortunately it was the day I put my FJR to bed for the Winter! I will be reporting on its efficacy next Spring when I get a chance to really test it out. FYI, I used 3 feet of the stuff.

https://saeng.com/product/quiet-and...dging-wind-deflector/?attribute_length=3+feet

I just installed some of this "airLift" edging on my Touring Screen. Unfortunately it was the day I put my FJR to bed for the Winter! I will be reporting on its efficacy next Spring when I get a chance to really test it out. FYI, I used 3 feet of the stuff.

https://saeng.com/product/quiet-and...dging-wind-deflector/?attribute_length=3+feet
Interesting. I'll look forward to your report after testing. Might do the trick for the OP instead of shimming

I don't think I could run this on my CalSci as the top of the screen is just below my line of sight when low and just above it when raised. I'd be worried the black edging would block my vision or be distracting.

I switched from the stock OEM to a V-Stream, and really like it, but I'm only 5'-11". I have an aftermarket tall windscreen for a Gen II, brand unknown, I'd be willing to part with it... It's 23" tall by 23" wide at the wing section. It's in really nice shape, dated Nov 08, 2008. $100 plus, shipping. PayPal preferred (I get a deal on shipping through my employer too) Shoot me your Zip Code and I'll get a shipping quote, if you're interested.

Pete-o

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
On a different thread I posted the details of a CalSci tall windscreen I mounted on my FJR. I added 3D printed rails to open the bottom of the screen to get a smooth airflow. I am 6' 2" and the standard FJR screen was had brutal turbulence. The .STL files ( left and right) are too big to attach. I now have 40K on and it is great. I think a wider screen would be even better. Email me at [email protected] if you want the files. This is for a 2019 gen 4. It also lifts the screen and clears my self for the other goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3724.jpeg
    IMG_3724.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3725.jpeg
    IMG_3725.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3726.jpeg
    IMG_3726.jpeg
  • IMG_3727.jpeg
    IMG_3727.jpeg
  • IMG_3728.jpeg
    IMG_3728.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
On my 1st Gen, I searched high and low for the best solution. I’m 6’2” tall with 32” inseam, so relatively tall in the saddle. And I also got a Russell Daylong saddle for that bike, which was the best money I ever spent on it besides gas and hotel rooms. But the Russell and Heli bars risers definitely put my head higher.

I think I tried them all, but came up with a solution on our cross country trip that worked damn well. I had a mid sized Cee Bailey screen that I put a Laminar Lip on the top of. It did not shoot the air over my head, that would be impossible, but it did break up the turbulent flow off the top of the screen. Most of the time I would aim that flow at my chin or neck when on highway and that resolved the turbulence problem. A lot of the time I avoid the highway and the truck wash and ride the state highways. Much more enjoyable. You make nearly the same time, but avoid the truck wash, and actually get to see things here and there. Interstates suck.

I will most likely need to replace my stock windscreen as I get pretty buffeted at higher speed and have a hard time carrying on a conversation over my communication device. I am 6-2 and 33” inseam.
Before I do, I wonder if it is safe and worth the trouble to try to shim the stock windshield into a more upright position?
If so, where can I find specific info on the process.
I look forward to your input.
Thank you,
GR
What year is your FJR? Yamaha played with different angles and different mountings in different years.

For example, Yamaha changed the arms from 2003 to 2004. The replacement arms tipped the windshield back 5°, reducing the overall height but bringing it closer to the rider. A popular mod at the time was to simply swap in 04 arms to reduce buffetting on 03 bikes. Rifle made a shim that tipped the 03 screen back 7° and it worked well (google "Rifle Tuning Block") Rifle made similar mods for the Gen 2, but sadly Rifle is no more.

Some folks tried adding washers between the screen and lower bracket to simulate the Rifle approach, but with limited success due to the washer stack being parallel to the bracket rather than a slight wedge.

So if you are going to try fabricating your own shims, I recommend you take the time to figure out the precise angle required and machine your shim to suit.

What year is your FJR? Yamaha played with different angles and different mountings in different years.

For example, Yamaha changed the arms from 2003 to 2004. The replacement arms tipped the windshield back 5°, reducing the overall height but bringing it closer to the rider. A popular mod at the time was to simply swap in 04 arms to reduce buffetting on 03 bikes. Rifle made a shim that tipped the 03 screen back 7° and it worked well (google "Rifle Tuning Block") Rifle made similar mods for the Gen 2, but sadly Rifle is no more.

Some folks tried adding washers between the screen and lower bracket to simulate the Rifle approach, but with limited success due to the washer stack being parallel to the bracket rather than a slight wedge.

So if you are going to try fabricating your own shims, I recommend you take the time to figure out the precise angle required and machine your shim to suit.
I appreciate your input. Makes sense.
I appreciate the technical feedback available on this forum.
I think I’m going to purchase the NC VStream Yamaha Touring windscreen, hoping the slightly more upright angle, extension of 3.2”, and the contours will eliminate buffeting.
Still open to input.