Clutch overheat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwach

Reaction score
Hello

i have a question

Today i replace a clutch cylinder kit on my 2005 Gen1 FJR. But i place a rod not proper, it was too deep in the cylinder and i ride about 2 miles on half-pulled clutch before it overheats. On the half way i realise that there are problems and turn back. With every mile clutch become worser and finally it disappears. Then we find the problem, place clutch rod in cylinder properly and let the bike time to cool. After it all was OK and i ride about 20 miles without any problems.

The question:

do i need to replace clutch disks immediately or it's OK if the clutch works?

Thank you

and sorry for poor english

Well Schwach your English is much better than my Russian. It look like you may have been lucky if it works well after it has cooled off. I have overheated clutch plates that warped and did not return to normal operation when they cooled. I am guessing you took some life off the clutch plates but they may be fine. I am looking forward to further input or recommendations on your incident from others.

Thank you for answering

And do i need to change oil again? It was changed before this ride. I don't think that may be some issues with it (i ride only about 4 miles and not higher than 4K RPM). Bot someone tells me that there maybe problems with oil due to clutch heat.

Thank you for answeringAnd do i need to change oil again? It was changed before this ride. I don't think that may be some issues with it (i ride only about 4 miles and not higher than 4K RPM). Bot someone tells me that there maybe problems with oil due to clutch heat.
There is very little oil actually in the clutch, and such a short ride will not have harmed it.

You will be fine.

The big question is, How does it feel now? When you start the bike and it's still cold, can you slip the clutch without using the throttle and drive the bike around in a tight circle without the clutch lurching? When you do a hard shift into second gear under near full throttle, does the clutch grab with authority and nearly jerk the front wheel off the ground or does it feel like it's slipping? Does the bike down shift as smoothly as it did before? If so, you're probably OK. Keep in mind that the FJR has a very strong clutch and clutch failures are rare.

By the way, it's fairly easy to take it apart and look at it. There are lots of pictures and videos available to show you how. Wouldn't hurt to give it a good soaking while you're at it, should you decide to do so.

Gary

darksider #44

Thank you for answeringAnd do i need to change oil again? It was changed before this ride. I don't think that may be some issues with it (i ride only about 4 miles and not higher than 4K RPM). Bot someone tells me that there maybe problems with oil due to clutch heat.
There is very little oil actually in the clutch, and such a short ride will not have harmed it.

You will be fine.
Agree. Unless the oil has a burnt odor, it's fine. Doubt it had enough time to get that hot anyway.

On the weekend i dismantle the clutch and realize that all is OK. Clutch plates and frictions were pretty clean with no evidence of burning.

Thanks to all