Gen 3 Owners...Do you have factory pigtail?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
I purchased my 2013 A model in June of 2013. My bike was inside the first 1200 built according to the serial number. I had chance to get up close and personal with two other Gen 3's this weekend. Neither the 2013 or the 2014 had the factory installed option that mine has.

The item mine has installed from the factory is a battery tender pigtail that appears to be factory installed. It is tied to the factory harness and runs around and under my battery and is accessable through the right side vent opening. I did not install it. I watch the bike get unboxed. The tech didn't install it that I witnessed.

Does yours have one installed???

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer installed mine on my 2014. It was there when he showed me the assembled bike for the first time. He said he puts it on every FJR since it is so difficult to get to the battery.

Apparently a dealer option. Scooter said in a previous thread on this that they are NOT factory installed. My dealer put one on mine, as well, without me asking for it.

While you were at the dealer watching the bike being uncreated, you had to take a piss, and the pig tail was installed during that time. If it is really that important to know who did it, ask the dealer if they put in on while you were shaking hands with the unemployed. I put that thingy on all three of my past and present FJR's. Make sure the pig tail is in the correct phase. If it was installed in Japan it could be in reverse napistration. We can get more insight on this from IDOT

Well, sounds like I ran across a fairly decent dealer. And yes, I was in and out as the set it up. The mechanic could have slipped it on whilst I was away. One of the few times I got something for nothing.

Nope, had to install my own.

In my case a Powerlet BMW style outlet mounted on the left panel that is used to power my tank bag and installing a tender when needed.

You do have a good dealer Mike.

Dealer installed without me asking. Salesman was going over all the controls, interrupted himself -- "Shit! I TOLD them to put one on for you!" -- and had some fellers come out to roll it back into the shop.

Pics? I want one on my '14, but want to see how the installed pigtail is secured.
No need for pics for this installation. Remove the panel over the battery, attach the + & - terminals, run the pigtail under the plastic and between the tank and fairing. It will be easily accessible and will be neatly out of the way when not being used. Depending on the length of the pigtail you may need to zip tie any excess wire and tuck it aside under the panel.