Looking at a used 2009 FJR, just a few questions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheels4me

Reaction score
Just joined here to do some research. Possibly looking at trading up to an FJR, have wanted one for a while now and might be ready to do it. I'm looking at a 2009 bone stock with 8k for the milage (asking 7900ish), and looks to be in excellent condition. Any concerns on the model year 2009 that I should know about? Any info you think might be helpful, or useful would be appreciated. I figured this would be the place to do the research on the bike. I know they are great bikes, but all bikes have pro's and con's and you all here would know best about the bike.

I would most likely be trading in my 2007 Honda VFR800 for the FJR. I have demo'd the newer model, both the ES and the non ES and loved it. I don't have the funds for new, so I thought it might be better to start with a used bike. I'm not new to motorcycling and would travel with it, in addition to a daily commute to work (65 miles rt).

My Honda VFR has served me well, 60k trouble free miles, but it may be time fora change. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2009 is a great year for the FJR. The Raven black paint and black wheels is a good look. Most issues were ironed out by then. $7900ish for that bike with 8K miles sounds like a killer deal. Good luck!

Yeah 8K isn't even broken in yet. Not sure if they issued the same two recalls for the '09 but for my '08 there was an ignition switch recall and the grounding harness recall. I would make sure they were either both done or make sure you get them done (if applicable) as both issues can leave you stranded. Other than that just look for any signs of mishaps, abuse or neglect. I would try and get that bike for $7500ish as even with the low miles I think $7900ish is a little high but I guess it depends several factors and that's just my personal opinion. $7900ish isn't crazy high though if you really want the bike and if it's worth that to you.You will definitely get your money's worth in fun, reliability and longevity with the FJR.

I've put 82k miles on my '09 with no complaints at all. At 8k miles it isn't even broken in yet. Have the recalls checked, there's a ground harness one that applies to the '09.

Since you mention trading, I assume it's at a dealer.

It'd be nice if you could contact the previous owner and get the lowdown.

Yeah 8K isn't even broken in yet. Not sure if they issued the same two recalls for the '09 but for my '08 there was an ignition switch recall and the grounding harness recall. I would make sure they were either both done or make sure you get them done (if applicable) as both issues can leave you stranded. Other than that just look for any signs of mishaps, abuse or neglect. I would try and get that bike for $7500ish as even with the low miles I think $7900ish is a little high but I guess it depends several factors and that's just my personal opinion. $7900ish isn't crazy high though if you really want the bike and if it's worth that to you.You will definitely get your money's worth in fun, reliability and longevity with the FJR.
My 2009 had the ignition and the grounding harness recall done..... so make sure those are done. Otherwise, all is well. Traded in the 2009 for a 2014 ES.... but really, my 2009 was great.

I have an 09 with 63k miles. My 09 is great. I have improved the bike with an aftermarket saddle, suspension (all Gen 1 and 2 do) and a different windscreen to get the bike up to snuff. Gen 3's have better suspension and may some have not needed to change it out, the Gen 3's with ES are very good. The windscreens and seats on all models are usually changed out.

Another '09 owner here, bought mine lightly used with 5400 miles on it.

Like Fontanaman, have all the extra goodies but even stock, it's a great bike! At 8k miles the bike is barely broken it and will provide many, many more (s)miles with nothing more than tires and fluids.

Good luck!

--G

Can't go wrong with the deal you're looking at. Great bike, you won't be sorry. I bought a 2004 with only 5K miles on it. It is a very nice ride. My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner. So far, I've kept the stock seat. The only mods I've done so far were to add heated grips and a tank bag.

Good luck to you.

Motorcycle Consumer News spring issue (March 2015) shows retail value for 2009 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS $9050. That is for a bike in good condition. I am surprised to see that bike offered for $7900. I sold my 2007 with 34K miles 1.5 years ago for $7900. I would want to see the service records on the bike.

Well, I missed out on the bike. The bike was gone by the time I got back to the dealer. I guess if you snooze you lose. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out for another one.

Well, I'm hoping to get my new ktm1290sa in the next few weeks...once I do, if I like it as much as I think I will, I'll be selling my 09... Had it since new...