US ECU in a rest-of-the-world 2009?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mau MaGau

Reaction score
I have a 2009 FJR1300 that's born and bred in the UK. I'd really like to get the Ivan ECU flash to sort out the throttle-off fuel cut. However, this side of the pond we have an immobiliser fitter which pairs to the ECU. As I don't have the red key for my bike, or any concerns about security, I'd quite like to delete the immobiliser by fitting a US ECU, which I could then have flashed by Ivan.

I've done a fair bit of research, but haven't yet found a definitive yes or no as to whether anyone's done this before. The wiring between the US and rest-of-world ECUs is definitely different (the US wires going to the ignition coils and fuel injectors are reversed for a start!).

Having compared wiring diagrams, I'm at the point where I'm confident enough to order a second-hand ECU from US ebay and give it a go. But before I do, is there anyone who knows for sure if it is or isn't possible? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know the answer directly, but some thoughts more more research:

Did you compare actual part numbers? While it wouldn't do anything if they're different-- you might get lucky and if they're the same numbers across the pond that would very likely affirm they're interchangeable.

Or does Ivan claim to do Canadian bikes with his reflash? I believe Canadian bikes have immobilizers where the U.S. market doesn't.

Or just plain ask Ivan since you're headed that way anyway.

Or does Ivan claim to do Canadian bikes with his reflash?
@torch had his 2006 Gen II Canadian (with immobilizer) FJR flashed by Ivan without issue. That still doesn't answer the question about if a US ECU could be used in a UK FJR . (I think the OP wanted to essentially get rid of the immobilizer, in part because he didn't have the red key needed to mate new keys to the immobilizer.)
As Ignacio said, start with comparing part numbers...

Exactly as you say RossKean - I know Ivan can and has flashed many ECUs with an immobiliser. But with the immobiliser making my ECU unique to my bike I'd rather not risk shipping it across the world. And even when it's flashed I'd still be in the same precarious position of having a very expensive bill if I lost my keys.

I believe the part number for the ECUs is different (3P6-8591A-A0-00 for US, 3P6-8591A-B0-00 for rest-of-world). Or so a little birdy told me ;) https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-ii-ecu-reflash-by-ivan.177589/post-1430130

For what it's worth, here's a spreadsheet I made matching up UK to US wiring -

Last edited:
Ross is correct, Ivan flashed my immobilizer-equipped Canadian ECU.

During my research before the flash, I came across info suggesting that US ECU's are a popular European import. Possibly to remobilize stolen bikes (not just FJRs).

Ross is correct, Ivan flashed my immobilizer-equipped Canadian ECU.

During my research before the flash, I came across info suggesting that US ECU's are a popular European import. Possibly to remobilize stolen bikes (not just FJRs).
I know that the Gen II LCD instrument display is not switchable between metric and imperial measure. I assume that this information "lives" in the display module itself rather than in the ECU?? (I'm fairly sure that is the case.)
Wouldn't want to end out with a display in miles, °F and US gallons (MPG)...

I know that the Gen II LCD instrument display is not switchable between metric and imperial measure. I assume that this information "lives" in the display module itself rather than in the ECU?? (I'm fairly sure that is the case.)
Wouldn't want to end out with a display in miles, °F and US gallons (MPG)...
Since Yamaha changed the cluster to correct the instantaneous MPG read-out on early '06s, I'd say the assumption is right RK. With folks purchasing used ECUs for flashing, I've not heard of any changes to vehicle mileage when swapping between ECUs.

~G

I can say from personal experience that a US ECU will not work on a Canadian bike. The immobiliser shuts everything down if it doesn't see its paired ECU.

Oh interesting, thanks! I had thought it was the ECU that would prevent the fuel injectors turning on if it didn't see a paired immobiliser and it's corresponding key. But it sounds like the immobiliser itself has some control?

Did you look into rewiring the ECU at all? For instance US ECUs have a cable in pin 43 that others don't.

Background: I purchased a US ECU to try and cure the altitude sickness. The bike would not start and when I broke down and bought a new ECU from Yamaha Canada (there was no recall in Canada), the bike would also not start until I completed the handshake procedure in the fsm. The US ECU was good because I passed it on to another member (with a US bike) and it worked for him.

I didn't try to mess with the ECU wiring but from what I remember, there was no fuel when the immobilizer icon was flashing.

I've read that if you lose the red key, you have to replace everything if one component goes bad and that tracks with my experience. If you want to remove the immobilizer, you'd probably need to buy a whole new dash along with the ECU.

Hmm. I'm going to do a bit more research on how other components are wired, and then unless anything is obviously awry I'll order a US ECU and give it a go. It'll definitely need some rewiring, but I'm hoping it'll just be moving a few of the ECU pins around.

Does anyone happen to have a shop manual for a non-US 2009 FJR? I have the US one, and a simple UK wiring diagram, but the shop manual goes into much more detail.

Oh and if anyone happens to know where I could pick up a 2009-2012 US ECU for less than the one on ebay for $190 that'd be great!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.

*edit* see post further down - there may be further problems still to overcome.

Just to report - it is possible to run rest-of-world 2009 FJR1300 on a US ECU. Some wire positions to the ECU must be changed. I won't go into too many details for security, but the curious should be able to figure it out.

Note that I haven't tried running the bike with the immobiliser completely disconnected, so there may be other securirty features at play, but the ECU is no longer one of them.

Very excited that I can now send off my spare ECU to Ivan to do his magic whilst still riding while I wait.

Last edited:
Going at it the hard, and not encouraged, way - I have a US 2012 parts bike with a wiring harness and ECU. Wiring harness will be a pain to remove and double pain to install on your FJR, providing everything else mates up well.

PM if interested and you want a BIG project that will make you much more intimately familiar with the FJR than you ever wanted to be.

An update on this - I hadn't noticed last time, but with the US ecu in, the bike's tachometer is non-functional. It also gave me some new issues with starting up today, possibly related, possibly not. There may well be other issues that have yet to present themselves. Glad I gave it one last test before shipping the ECU off.

@TooManyBikes , thanks for the offer. It may well come down to that. My current suspicion is that perhaps the MFD is expecting a rest-of-world ecu and some things (like the tacho) are being lost in translation. I'm going to sit down with the wiring diagrams again and see where I get to. If you happen to have the wiring harness and MFD separated from the bike then do let me know - it will at least be interesting to give it a go, but not worth the pain for you to remove just yet!

@TooManyBikes , thanks for the offer. It may well come down to that. My current suspicion is that perhaps the MFD is expecting a rest-of-world ecu and some things (like the tacho) are being lost in translation. I'm going to sit down with the wiring diagrams again and see where I get to. If you happen to have the wiring harness and MFD separated from the bike then do let me know - it will at least be interesting to give it a go, but not worth the pain for you to remove just yet!

Hope you don't need to replace the harness. I have the ECU, but do not also have the US multifunction display. However, see they are available on eBay.

Just a quick Easter update on this - I received a US MFD in the post today and of course opened it up the moment it arrived. The PCBs appear identical both by eye and serial number. In fact the US MFD PCB (acronyms much!) has space for the immobiliser LED.

Plugging the US MFD into the bike didn't help - it still doesn't receive a signal for the tachometer or engine temp, so it must be the wiring to the MFD that differs by region.

Back to the wiring diagrams.

Good news! After many hours spent hunched over the wiring diagrams, I have a fully functional (sans immobiliser) UK bike talking happily with a US ECU.

Along with re-pinning the ECU plug, one other wire must be disconnected elsewhere on the bike in order for the MFD to work correctly.

I won't post the solution here, as it's an anti-theft device, but if anyone would like some guidance feel free to DM me with some proof that you're not a sticky-fingered ne'er-do-well, and I'll share what I know!

Good news! After many hours spent hunched over the wiring diagrams, I have a fully functional (sans immobiliser) UK bike talking happily with a US ECU.

Along with re-pinning the ECU plug, one other wire must be disconnected elsewhere on the bike in order for the MFD to work correctly.

I won't post the solution here, as it's an anti-theft device, but if anyone would like some guidance feel free to DM me with some proof that you're not a sticky-fingered ne'er-do-well, and I'll share what I know!
Excellent!! All that hard work, that most of us would not have done, paid off. Will you be using the Ivan Tune?

Thanks @Rocnsanman! I'm glad no-one was around to see my happy dance when the engine first fired up with a foreign ECU. I was very pleased with myself!

I've got a few hundred miles to do on it this weekend, then the ECU is heading straight to either Ivan or his recommended partner in Greece.