My new FJR1300ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffknighten

Reaction score
Well, Not sure where to start. I've had the bike for 4 days now and wonder why I waited so long. My last Yamaha

I sold about 7 years ago was an YZR-1. It was an awesome ride! Back to the new FJR, this is so much better than

my SX1100 special I owned for a while back in the late 70's. Anyway my wife and daughter with my granddaughter

drove over to Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge La. to pick up the new ride on Saturday, we arrived there about

2:15 or so they close at 3:00. I walked in the door and their it was first thing inside the doorway. I have to admit

I was a little excited when I saw her setting there. well we had to get new helmets and I got some rain gear,

it had been raining some the way to the dealership. I also ordered the rear trunk with the back rest. The parts department was

a breeze to work with all great guys that know there stuff. The first guy met was Gray George or G Squared,

Can't say enough about this guy, helped me every step of the way thought the sales process, it was quick and easy

got a great deal. then I meet their finance guy Bryan Simmons who work out the money part of the deal. The whole time

I can hear it raining outside.

The adventure being for me and my FJR. Well I've gone on for so long I'll stop here for now, but more to follow in near future.

The rain theme with new bikes seems all to common lately. HPPants just picked up a new one from Friendly a couple weeks ago and it was raining. I just picked up a new '15ES last Saturday and it was raining! And now you! When will the madness end??

Congrats on the new ride!

I would not have bought ANYTHING from that G Squared guy. What a loser. You probably got taken to the cleaners just like I did.

Okay, I lied. I actually did buy my '15 ES from G Squared. It is such a pleasure dealing with a motorcycle salesman who actually knows his product, rides his product, and is a decent person. G Squared does not fit the mold of the typical "salesman".

This is him squeezing every last penny making sure his customer leaves safe and happy.

It is worth noting that it actually started raining as soon as hppants left the parking lot that day. Dad and I actually got wet getting to the truck to go home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now only if Pants can get rid of that UGLY jacket
no.gif

Congrats on the new addition Jeff.

Take some time to get familiar with the bike and then it's time to make it yours! Be careful though...this place will cost you a ton of money before you're done.
coolsmiley02.gif

Enjoy the new ride!

--G

Congratulations. FWIW, on Bob's note, it was raining cats and dogs when I bought my '07. The rain started as I rode it out of the service bay. Rode the Million Dollar Highway in the rain on a brand new bike. Talk about pucker...

I rode my 08 home in a monsoon and severe thunder storm winds. What a ride! My '15 ride home was dry, but still a great ride as I was thinking about how much better the 15ES is than anything else I have ridden....including the R1200RT. Enjoy the bike and wear that new gear all the time! If it's too hot for the gear, then its too hot to ride.

Perhaps I am old and too cautious. Why would you take a brand new bike out of the dealership when you know it is raining or will be raining before you get home? This seems dumb ass to me. New tires on wet road on a bike you are not yet familiar with is not using good judgement. I doubt any motorcycle safety instructor would suggest such a thing. Cost of a hotel room or postponing the pick up seems prudent.

I didnt have a choice. I was 600 miles from home. I had to get there somehow. Lol...I woulda rode it anyway. Rain doesn't scare me.

Riding in the rain is a way of life in Louisiana. Either you ride in the rain or...you just pose.

At any rate, rain is not a factor for me. I have proven that I can crash on a dry road just as easily as a good rider can crash on a wet road.
uhoh.gif

Sorry guys!! You are exonerated. Here in CA we are in a four year drought. When it rains we throw a block party. Everyone stays home and watch the grass grow.

As an old guy risk management is paramount. If I am in the middle of nowhere and get caught in a rain storm I head to the nearest safe house. Time is a luxury I have in abundance. Retired life really does not suck!!

Unless I'm in an issued vehicle or hauling something that requires 4 wheels, I'm on a motorcycle. By choice. My wife thinks it lowers my stress level. If I only rode when I knew it would not rain coming or going, I'd rarely get to ride. Riding in the rain is part of riding. I'm not saying that, given a choice between the truck and the bike when a monsoon is forecast, I won't choose the truck once in a while (rarely). But changing plans or leaving the bike at home because of popup or looming rain isn't really how that works.

MUCHO congrats to the OP on the new bike. You got a great motorcycle from some first class people. Gary is no longer my salesman, he's my friend and my riding buddy.

I did get poured on about 2 blocks from the dealer. I took it easy though - my chicken strips were a solid 3/4" wide all around. My neighbor with the Ultra Glide (and also a friend/riding buddy) came over to see me wiping it down. He could not believe I rode the bike in the rain from the dealer. I told him "this bike is going to go all over the country. Let me assure you that at many times, it will be ridden in the rain."

In that picture, my jacket was LONG overdue for a bucket of soap. And it's seen about 50,000 miles so the end is closer than the beginning. But hey - it's got "character".

I don't know if the jacket has character but its owner sure does. I remember when that jacket was new and shiny clean.

And I agree with you about "our" salesman. Well, except the riding buddy part. We cannot seem to coordinate.