• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - Magnetic tank bag for '04 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
I'm looking for a medium to large sized tank bag in great condition - cortech or nelson riggs ideally, but will consider other brands if they are good fit on FJR tank.

Message me with pics, using the Forum or sent text (306-370-9446) or email ([email protected])

Greg Basky

Saskatoon SK CANADA

I recently purchased an IXS brig magnetic tank bag at a super cheap price of € 42.75. It fits wonderfully on th FJR tank. You can try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, the 04 tank is different then all the other tanks on the fjr. It's made of stainless steel so magnets won't stick to it very well. My 05 tank is made of carbon fibre so I have to use a strap system to hold the tank bag in place.

Remember, the 04 tank is different then all the other tanks on the fjr. It's made of stainless steel so magnets won't stick to it very well. My 05 tank is made of carbon fibre so I have to use a strap system to hold the tank bag in place.
You southern Oregonians are stoned.

I had a Nelson Rigg magnetic tank bag on my first 08. After removing it time after time for fill ups, I ended up scratching my tank all up. When I got my second 08, I decided to use the tank bag as a tail bag on the rear seat. No more magnetic tank bags for me. Just thought I'd pass on that little tid bit.

I had a Nelson Rigg magnetic tank bag on my first 08. After removing it time after time for fill ups, I ended up scratching my tank all up. When I got my second 08, I decided to use the tank bag as a tail bag on the rear seat. No more magnetic tank bags for me. Just thought I'd pass on that little tid bit.
Might have been the material the Nelson Rigg bag had covering the magnets. I've used Cortech & Roadgear magnetic tank bags on a 600 F4i and an 05' FJR for over 10 years without any scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of the scratches issue is from the magnets attracting very small metallic particles when the bag is not on the tank. Even dirt or other debris that is somehow stuck to the bag can have a detrimental affect on the tank paint finish. Every fillup, the bag is removed and re-installed. You have to be diligent about wiping off the bottom of the bag before re-installing it.

We buy the rubberized mesh "cloth" from Aerostich cut it to match the tankbag, stitch it onto the bottom and it works like a dream.

For me, not having a tank bag is much preferred. Everything I need to access in front of me while riding is mounted. Years ago it was nice to have a paper map in the window of the tank bag. No need anymore. I like the conveniences of modern technology. That's why I ride an AE and not one of those old fashioned bikes.
no.gif