Best options for tail bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
Hi all

Late next month, a buddy and I will be riding our bikes home to Canada (Sask and AB) from Palm Springs, via UT, CO, WY, and MO.

I'm contemplating adding a tail bag for extra storage (camera, snacks, water bottle, phone, etc).

I'm looking for something that's easy on/easy off, but secure at highway speeds.

I have stock factory rack - so I'd see mounting tailbag there, or perhaps on passenger seat.

What do fellow FJR Forum'ers recommend?

Greg Basky

Saskatoon SK CANADA

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the top case and a tail bag. The top case is nice for just locking things in and having completely water-poof storage. I don't like the feel of it at high speeds (80+), it definitely catches wind w/o a passenger. I use a tailbag on the passenger seat sometimes, the downside is it's a little awkward shooting your foot through to get on and off the bike and removing it (bungees on under the seat) when parked over night is sort of a pain. But it creates a nice aero shape and there is no issue no matter how fast you go.

DSCF0907.jpg

I've got the top case and a tail bag. The top case is nice for just locking things in and having completely water-poof storage. I don't like the feel of it at high speeds (80+), it definitely catches wind w/o a passenger. I use a tailbag on the passenger seat sometimes, the downside is it's a little awkward shooting your foot through to get on and off the bike and removing it (bungees on under the seat) when parked over night is sort of a pain. But it creates a nice aero shape and there is no issue no matter how fast you go.
DSCF0907.jpg
Thanks Commander. I too have a top box but took it off. I much prefer how the bike handles without that big sail back there. Follow up question: what brand of tank and tail bag do you have here? Is tankbag magnetic mount -- and if so, has this ever caused problems with phone or camera?

I have the OEM top box and also use a Motofizz tail bag on the pillion seat for longer trips. What I really like about the Motofizz is that it uses 4 small loop straps that you can let on the bike all of the time tucked under the pillion seat and just fish them out when you want to use the bag. Quick release clips that are super easy to use even with gloves on, rain cover, and outside pockets including 2 just for water bottles. Afraid I don't have any pics of it in use but I got it from Aerostitch so you can check out their website. Mine is the small and it offers plenty of storage for me without being too obtrusive. Even in the rain with it mounted behind me without the rain cover my gear still stayed dry.

I'm with Chuck on this one.

I've got a Motofizz bag also. Sometimes on the rack when the top case is removed or mounted to the seat when It's just me out on a trip.

I have the small and medium sizes, depending on the needs of the trip.

Thanks Commander. I too have a top box but took it off. I much prefer how the bike handles without that big sail back there. Follow up question: what brand of tank and tail bag do you have here? Is tankbag magnetic mount -- and if so, has this ever caused problems with phone or camera?
Both my tank bag and tail bag are discontinued. Tank bag is a fieldsheer, it's one of my favorite things ever on the bike. Didn't cost that much--about $50 i think on a closeout. Magnets are really strong. After tens of thousands of miles with it on it hasn't done any favors for the paint on my tank even though i've tried to be careful (lots of hairline scratches where it grabs). The shape is perfect, I put a pair of tennis shoes in there and can lean on it. I haven't had any problems with electronics--they go in a side pocket elevated above the magnets.

Tail bag is a nelson rigg. Someone had a link up on here years ago where they bought a spare pillion seat, pulled the cover and foam and mounted that bag directly to the seat pan so it sat lower and locked on. That was my plan but I just got a bungee set up instead and it's still somewhat locked on because i have the connectors underneath the seat, so with the seat locked on it would have to be cut off.

Good luck on your search--

There are SO many solutions to this problem, and they must all be pretty good, because every time a thread like this starts up, one after another, people post about what THEY have, and they all seem happy with it. I like having some kind of tail bag, myself, and never thought it impaired the bike's riding at all (any of my 3 FJRs). Opinions differ.

The first one had a factory trunk already mounted. I liked it but never loved the look--very boxy and un-streamlined looking. But I liked the size and security, and of course waterproof. On my second Gen I, I bought a used "Garauld" cargo rack. Great as a base for tying things down, but I ended up mounting a fabric bag on it, more or less permanently. Less secure (anybody can open a zipper), expandable.

On the new Gen III, I just added a Givi 52 trunk. Large, secure, better looking than the OEM, I think; needs its own key to open, but that means you don't have to remove the ignition key to get in it. Probably the most expensive option, but I bought mine used. Easily removable if I want to.

For super cargo capacity, I also have a waterproof duffel that I carry on the pillion seat with Rok Straps. I'm the one who Spud mentioned--removed most of the foam from a spare pillion seat and re-stapled the cover, so the bag sits lower and is easier to strap down; of course I still have the original seat too. I use this bag (LOTS of vendors offer it). Inexpensive, absolutely waterproof. Lots of room for ALL my camping gear, but so big that it hangs over the side case locks on both sides, making access a little tough, and partly blocks the rear view in the mirrors. Maybe the medium size would have been better.

Anyhow, it's up to you. You have to balance looks, cargo capacity, aerodynamics, security, and cost. No one size fits all.

... After tens of thousands of miles with it on it hasn't done any favors for the paint on my tank even though i've tried to be careful (lots of hairline scratches where it grabs). ...
Which is why I always stick some cheap cloth tape to the tank where the tank bag can rub. Doesn't reduce the magnets' strength, perfect protection, pulls off fairly easily (because it was cheap stuff), with final cleaning of the adhesive with a bit of WD40.

(Click on image for larger view)

I've used black tape on a dark coloured tank (as in the pictures above), silver on a light coloured tank, makes the tape almost invisible with half an inch or so showing round the bag's base layer.

I also use it with the Yamaha strapped bag, it still can wriggle on the paint!

As for a tail bag, I've only ever used a roll bag, waterproof, cheap (this one was on offer for £10), very good for holding lots of clothes.

I use the medium Wolfman like Niehart for a big trip. Definitely waterproof, tough and stays on well with Rok straps. It took everything a trip across Alaska and the haul road could throw at it. The downside in my opinion is accessibility. It is big and stores a lot, but getting into and out of it is a bit of work. I am considering a Motofizz for the versatility and accessibility. I do not like that I have to stop and put a rain cover on it... Wolfman cures that complaint.

I guess the choice comes down to what you see as benefits and pain points. As with all farkle decisions I suppose.
smile.png

Oh.. one more item of note. With the wolfman strapped to the pillion seat in front of the OEM top case, I never noticed any odd behavior at speed. Maybe it breaks up the air. Not an aeronautical engineer. Or.. I didn't go fast enough... (unlikely... hahahah)

I use the medium Wolfman like Niehart for a big trip. Definitely waterproof, tough and stays on well with Rok straps. It took everything a trip across Alaska could throw at it. The downside in my opinion is accessibility. It is big and stores a lot, but getting into and out of it is a bit of work. I am considering a Motofizz for the versatility and accessibility. I do not like that I have to stop and put a rain cover on it... Wolfman cures that complaint.
I guess the choice comes down to what you see as benefits and pain points. As with all farkle decisions I suppose.
smile.png

Oh.. one more item of note. With the wolfman strapped to the pillion seat in front of the OEM top case, I never noticed any odd behavior at speed. Maybe it breaks up the air. Not an aeronautical engineer. Or.. I didn't go fast enough... (unlikely... hahahah)
And it you pack it right, it makes a great back rest.

For weekend trips on the FJR, I just bungee-strap a large gym bag across the seat. Easy on/off, large capacity.

For my tank bag I use a Nelson-Rigg CL2020. Plenty of capacity, expandable, and has the handy holders for GPS and Phone.

The CL2020 does double duty as a tail bag on my Blackbird.

I enjoy the quality and design features of the whole Nelson Rigg product line.

So many options.