Best bag liners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They take up quite a bit of room versus an empty side case on my 14. There is a material reduction in the capacity that's available for use in the sidecase with the OEM bags used in the OEM sidecases provided with my bike. Sort of a volume of the case minus the volume taken up by the fabric of the bag thing. If you don't need all the space of the sidecases and want something easy to yank out, they might be useful. I could see the wife using them.
You seem to not want the liners. Why don't you donate them to Gbasky, he will be eternally grateful!!

You refer to your 2014 bags as being too small. The bags have been the same size since Moses made the first FJR1300. Did you have an earlier FJR1300?

Stock ones are great. Most rides around here involve shedding a large layer when morning becomes afternoon. I've learned it's good to put all my clothes etc. in the bag in the downhill side case, leave the other bag home, and transfer layers, gloves etc. into the empty uphill side case. Then my shit only falls on the ground once I get to the hotel, and not throughout the day
rolleyes.gif
Do the retainer strap mod and you will not have your shit falling out on the ground.

...Thanks for posting that mod. I could not remember where it was. I noticed my riding bud's bike had it done apparently by the dealer from new.
No problem. If you remembered it was my post, you could find it using the link in my signature to various contributions to this Forum that I've made that I hope are generally useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a better idea. How about a little Pay it Forward?

One thing I didn't realize was that OEM bag liners come with a new Gen 3 bike. That means I have a perfectly good set of Bestem bag liners left over from my Gen 1 bike. How about j give them to u for the introductory offer of zippo?

Pm me with ur address. Enjoy

I've got a better idea. How about a little Pay it Forward?
One thing I didn't realize was that OEM bag liners come with a new Gen 3 bike. That means I have a perfectly good set of Bestem bag liners left over from my Gen 1 bike. How about j give them to u for the introductory offer of zippo?

Pm me with ur address. Enjoy
You know this very generous offer is designed to get you hooked. Before you know it pants will be sending you every piece of old motorcycle crap he has sitting around his place, and you'll be begging for more.
smile.png

When I got my '06 recently, I was surprised there was no bag liner. The inside of the hard bag is so unfinished I figured there had to be a factory bag, but the seller said no. My previous bike, an '04 Kawi Vulcan Nomad, had beautiful liners, shaped to fit, outside pockets, two zipper schemes to open, a handle and shoulder strap. I kept riding gear in the left side, extra skivvies and socks in the right side. I modded the hold ribbon on the right bag immediately. What I miss is a windshield bag, for water and sunblock. Does anyone have any kind of windshield bag that you can reach while in the saddle, for a sip of water at a stoplight, that kind of thing? I'll check the classified for some liners.

Never seen a windshield bag on an FJR. I think a magnetic tank bag will make you happy. Pain when it's gas-up time, but I always ride with one. And yes, factory liners and nice and you should find some, or there's a few aftermarkets available.

When I got my '06 recently, I was surprised there was no bag liner. The inside of the hard bag is so unfinished I figured there had to be a factory bag, but the seller said no.
Seller was a rat. All US FJRs came with bag liners. He probably kept them so he could hawk them on eBay for another $50.

A nice tank bag is what you want for your sunscreen and glasses. It's de rigueur on an ST bike, not very often found on a croozer.

+1 to what Fred said!!

Keep your eyes open here. Every now and then a set of bags comes up for sale. $45 to $55 is pretty normal.

I have a tank bag I use on the Honda, I guess I could just switch it over to the FJR when needed. For the right side saddle bag, I put a handled cloth bag inside, added a fabbed up cardboard inner liner to hold the cloth bag to a shape. Works for now.

Several weeks ago, I offered to give the OP my Gen 1 bag liners for free, but he has not responded in kind.

FJRRyder - if you are looking for a set of bag liners, the same offer goes to you. Please PM me with your address and I'll gladly send them to you.

hppants, I tried to send a PM, but the system said you could not receive any new messages. PM me with an email address or phone # and I'll get that address to you post haste, and thanks a bunch!

I had a set of Bestem liners for my VFR that fit perfectly. When I got the FJR, it did't come with the factory liners some I ordered a set from Bestem. They don't fit nearly as well as the VFR set did. I wouldn't recommend them for the FJR.

hppants very kindly gave me his set. They're nice, (not as nice as the Kawi bags tho, no outside pockets, and not as heavy-duty) but they'll work well. Thanks again, hppants.

My soft bags are always in my hard bags. Never had an issue. The best thing about them is they are removable, so use then if you want, or dont. Personally I don't see a reason to buy another brand.
+1

IMO, the only reason to seek other bags are when, like me, you get a used bike and it doesn't have them.

$.02

Latest posts