Cleaning melted goo off chrome pipes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
Hi there

I ride Gen 1 (04) bike.

Due to bad foot positioning on my part, I seem to have melted some of my boot heels/soles on to the pipes.

Any and all recommendations welcomed for a product (or home remedy) to get this gunk off and restore the shine.

Thank you.

Greg Basky

Saskatoon SK CANADA

WD-40 works well and is safe on (most) finishes. Let it soak a while then chip it off.

Chrome polish works on pipes (but too abrasive for paint) too.

Goo Gone is talked about a lot, but I have never used it. (probably wd-40 in a different bottle)

Last edited by a moderator:
WD-40 has served me well. There are also some products sold at Harley shops that are just for this sort of thing. Can't recall the name but it comes in a container that looks like a travel size deodorant and it works well.

I've had luck with oven cleaner with some melted plastics. If that doesn't work I've had good luck with a nickel. Just rub with the edge of the nickel,does not scratch.

I second the oven cleaner. Worked wonders several times and then one time not so much. Don't know why the one time. Wife and her clunky shoes.......

Carefully, use a propane torch. Make sure you're not heating anything that could melt etc.! It works just ask me how I know.

Oven cleaner, the kind for regular ovens. Cover EVERY part of the bike that might catch some overspray.

Leave it sit overnight.

-Steve

1. If it was your wife/girlfriend who did this to your pipes, you must punish her by withholding sex until you can be sure she has suffered enough to have learned her lesson.

2. Hand her the can of Easy-Off and tell her to get to scrubbing.

3. Report back here.

(Saskatoon? Holy cow!)

Never heard of the liquid nitrogen tip for this, but if that extreme cold does the job, try one of those compressed air dusters typically used for blowing dust off camera lenses. Invert the can and spray. The propellant comes out super cold.

Also handy for removing warts.

(If your fjr has warts, you have much more serious problems...
uhoh.gif
)

Latest posts