source of oil leak?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
Hi there

Did spring oil change yesterday, as I prepare to bring my 04 out of hiberation.

But when I checked today, there's single drop underneath bike, but on right hand side, away from where I was working.

Drip appeared to come down from ('tho not out of) this x-shaped protruding thing (sorry, but I'm not techie - I have no idea what this part of the bike is) -- and I can't seem to add a photo (how do you use "my media" feature??).

No leaks at filter or drain plug.

While the outgoing oil from drain goes straight into the catch pan, i find it tough to "contain" all of the oil when I remove the filter. Some drips down and under - e.g., on to the pipes.

So maybe the build-up of oil that shows in this pic is in fact accumulation of this and previous oil changes?

What say others? Where do you think that solo drop came from?

Greg Basky

Saskatoon, SK CANADA

oil from the filter will run into the lip of the lower fairing and then towards the front of the "chin" and drip off there. Helps to remove the screw that holds the rear part of the fairing and prop the fairing away from the bike so the oil doesn't run into it. [does that make sense?]

Thanks Inewlf - I had already figured out that trick.

My problem is the oil that migrates down and under the engine itself.

See my profile pic - what part of the engine is this?

oil from the filter will run into the lip of the lower fairing and then towards the front of the "chin" and drip off there. Helps to remove the screw that holds the rear part of the fairing and prop the fairing away from the bike so the oil doesn't run into it. [does that make sense?]

I wrap a piece of aluminum foil around that fairing piece after I remove the aft screw, that way oil can't soak into the foam or collect in a crevice.

Leave the bike on the side stand when you remove the filter.

Did you leave the bike on the side stand or centerstand? If you left it on the center stand, I wouldn't stress about a drip from there after the change.

Latest posts