Fork protector removal!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrif

Reaction score
Trying to remove fork protector to use sealmate on leaking fork seal! It seems to not want to move upwards? Is it just being stubborn? Help.

From dealing with my '07's fork leaks in the past, you have to work the protector back and forth with some upward pressure (I grip the tongue of it)...it'll eventually pop off and slide up. I've done mine a dozen times or more...it doesn't really get any easier.

In a pinch, you might be able to get away with leaving it in place and just working around it...you can still work the dust cap off with it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fork protector is stubborn and Yamaha says to replace if it is removed. I have managed to get mine to move up by wiggling back and forth along with a bit of prying with a screwdriver. Helps a lot if the plastic is good and warm (hairdryer, possibly). I did not replace them - they managed to slide back down and snap securely into place again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fork protector is stubborn and Yamaha says to replace if it is removed. I have managed to get mine to move up by wiggling back and forth along with a bit of prying with a screwdriver. Helps a lot if the plastic is good and warm (hairdryer, possibly).
I would add that in all the times I've had to move mine, I've never found the need to replace them...they still hold tight.

Thanks for this. It is being very difficult! The heat idea is our next approach. I'm sure Yamaha would love to sell a new set of protectors each time they are slid up but we're just trying the Sealmate approach without removing the fork from the triple tree.

??

SquirrelFlameThrower.jpg

Well, we think we managed without removing (sliding up) the fork protectors? First of all we managed to turn it in place. Our first home made Seal mate was using old 35 mm film. Because the protector limited how low we could control the film as we tried to slip it behind the seal it would buckle and collapse! Our second attempt was using a cut out from a water bottle. It already had some contour and was a little more rigid. We bounced the bike several times to reseat the fork seal, but noticed a little sheen each time we did that after wiping? We'll be going for a short ride to the coast and back tomorrow back Monday. We will keep an eye on it and if the weeping continues we'll have to replace the seal. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well, we think we managed without removing (sliding up) the fork protectors? First of all we managed to turn it in place. Our first home made Seal mate was using old 35 mm film. Because the protector limited how low we could control the film as we tried to slip it behind the seal it would buckle and collapse! Our second attempt was using a cut out from a water bottle. It already had some contour and was a little more rigid. We bounced the bike several times to reseat the fork seal, but noticed a little sheen each time we did that after wiping? We'll be going for a short ride to the coast and back tomorrow back Monday. We will keep an eye on it and if the weeping continues we'll have to replace the seal. Thanks for all the suggestions!
If it's still weeping, try the sealmate fix again before doing the replacement. I think you said the bike has less than 40k km, so that seal should still be good. Did you notice any scratches on the fork tube?

If you do go ahead with replacement, and since seal replacement basically involves fork dis-assembly, it might be a good time to also replace the bushings. Check with your local shop to find out how much they'd charge for the service, 'cause it's a PITA without the right equipment. (Yeah, I know it can be done with some careful pounding, but it's still a PITA!)

Make sure you, (or the shop wrench), smear a bit of fresh fork oil on the inner surface of the new seal prior to assembly.

Thanks Dog, the next couple of days should tell the tale? I'm not sure whether my friends future interest in his bike would include a fork rebuild? He's undecided about selling because we don't seem to be riding as much as we used to? We have discussed Dual purpose bikes but ? We'll see! In the past we have attended Bryan (Auburns) Tech meets and really had a great time! I'm hoping for a trip to California later in Sept so may not be able to attend this fall meet? Thanks again.

Mark

Go to Harbor Freight and buy the 4 piece set of yellow auto body tools. One will have a bit of a blunt end, and you can use a rubber mallet and that tool to pop the fork protector off.

The yellow plastic is soft and crappy, so it will give way before the fork protectors do.

To follow up. After putting just over 1100kms the weeping seal is no more! Our home made seal swiper seems to have done the job. Interestingly the (splooge?) that came out was very fine material but obviously it was enough to cause the slight leak. Oh and the bike sold! While in Vancouver a fellow at the party we were attending bought it without even riding it or listening to it. It is a bike I would buy if in the market because I know how it has been ridden and cared for. 2009 with around 40,000 kms. Pr 4's with about 3000 kms on them also includes his 46L top trunk a Givi I think?