First oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRRYDER

Reaction score
Got the '06 Feejer about six months ago and all fluids were recently changed before I bought it. The bike has 44k mi. on it. I've been riding it as much as possible for fun. Ride to work only once a week, too much freeway/traffic etc. Anyhow, have noted the shifting wasn't as silky smooth as it ought to be (despite adjusting the lever) and the engine seemed a bit noisy. I decided to change the oil to see if it would improve things a bit, and I am happy to report it did. It had synthetic oil in it, but I took it back to dead dinosaurs, 10w40 Valvoline, moto specific. The shifting is smooth and light, the rattley sound is gone, it seems to rev quicker, just all around seems to run better.

And it will for some period of time. As the oil gets older and dirtier, the shifting will get a little less fluid, but the noise is weird. Since the bike is new to you, did the previous owner provide service records, are recall items completed, were the valves checked, stuff like that? They're fabulous bikes and darn near bullet proof with a modicum of maintenance.

There's lots of stuff going on in the big motor under your ass, but rattley sounds shouldn't be one of them. Don't panic, but I'd have someone knowledgeable look at and listen to the motor. Especially look at the cam chain tensioner, it seems to be a weak spot on the motor. I changed mine on my 05 around 45000 miles just to play safe. And I bought a new cct for 06. I'll replace the existing one when I do a valve check later this year.

Good luck. Like many others, I've owned a couple FJR's. It really is an amazing bike. Enjoy!