Heated Gear with mesh jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I have a summer mesh jacket. It has a zip in water/wind proof liner, it has no thermal at all. I like the way it fits because it is light but it does not keep me warm, it's not supposed to. Now for the question... If I buy a Warm n Safe heated jacket liner to wear under said jacket do you think it would keep me comfortable down to the low 40's? I know comfort is subjective but I don't know how warm/hot a jacket liner gets.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used my Warm'n'Safe liner with my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket quite a bit. I've used if for summer trips where the morning or late evening temps dipped. With the temp in the 50's, I've worn just the heated liner and the jacket - you'll loose some effectiveness because of the air flow. Below that or if it's damp / raining, I've worn the liner under the jacket with it's rain liner in and been toasty.

Warm'n'Safe does have a newer liner that is wind / water proof I believe - mine is an older version and not waterproof at all.

I like carrying the heated liner all the time because it's simpler that trying to pack clothes to layer under your riding gear to stay warm as the conditions change. I can start out with the heat on in the morning, turn it down / off as the temps rise, then back on towards evening / dark as needed.

Hope this helps...

Wayne

In my experience electric clothing buy you 10-15 degrees of extra range....assuming you're under a wind proof layer. Since you're purposely taking a windproof layer away from the equation I would expect that 10-15 budget to be even less. If you're bound and determined to like what is essentially a layer of summer armor--I'd look first at an overcoat shell for the jacket or cheap fleece under first.

Since you're purposely taking a windproof layer away from the equation I would expect that 10-15 budget to be even less. If you're bound and determined to like what is essentially a layer of summer armor--I'd look first at an overcoat shell for the jacket or cheap fleece under first.
No, my plan would be to leave the wind/waterproof liner in the jacket and add the W&S liner under that.

I'm planning a trip to the Smokeys in May so I am figuring cool crisp mornings and evenings and fairly warm (80ish) during the day. I don't want to carry around 2 jackets. Just my mesh jack will not be enough though.

Oh, and thanks for the new topic name... this one fits better...

When I travel and expect it to be warm enough for mesh

I always bring along my W&S liner and my TM Elite rain

parker. Various permutations can handle most cases of

wet or dry, hot or cold comfortably.

Blocking the wind makes ALL the difference but the

heated liner easily gets me into the mid 30s.

I don't have a heated jacket liner, but I use a rain liner in my Rev It mesh jacket over an Under Armour Extreme 3.0 shirt. Easily good into the 30's for me. I have a heated seat too. The UA is not bulky at all, so I can easily add another layer if needed.

I'm planning a trip to the Smokeys in May so I am figuring cool crisp mornings and evenings and fairly warm (80ish) during the day. I don't want to carry around 2 jackets.
I noted it because back in 2007 I used my mesh as a base and did the overjacket and electric clothing as a routine. Without an overjacket (a Goretex snowmobile shell) the electrics wouldn't have worked for me into the 30's.

...and that's why I switched to a one jacket solution for temperature and rain....Aerostich with optional electrics and fleece is good for teens to hundred-teens.

I have used my Warm'n'Safe liner with my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket quite a bit. I've used if for summer trips where the morning or late evening temps dipped. With the temp in the 50's, I've worn just the heated liner and the jacket - you'll loose some effectiveness because of the air flow. Below that or if it's damp / raining, I've worn the liner under the jacket with it's rain liner in and been toasty.
Warm'n'Safe does have a newer liner that is wind / water proof I believe - mine is an older version and not waterproof at all.

I like carrying the heated liner all the time because it's simpler that trying to pack clothes to layer under your riding gear to stay warm as the conditions change. I can start out with the heat on in the morning, turn it down / off as the temps rise, then back on towards evening / dark as needed.

Hope this helps...

Wayne
Similar to what I do..... Olympia mesh and layer in W&S breathable liner, add windproof if needed, turn on the heat if needed, substitute Frog Toggs or rain jacket on top of jacket if more wind protection needed or if raining. This is my 4-season gear and don't have to have a closet full of gear. Not all that much to carry on the bike either.

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I've got it figured out. I looked at my mesh jacket with the rain liner in and unfortunately its not 100% waterproof. after it zips in it leaves about 2" around the main jacket zipper exposed so water could easily get through if it rained. I decided to get this to go under the jacket to make it warm and completely waterproof, and it should be good down to the temps that I need. There, problem solved!

Just throwing my experience in there.

Tourmaster Coretch full mesh jacket.

Windproof/water-resistant liner in

Tourmaster heated jacket liner.

This combo is good in dry weather down to 35 degrees.

Thermal underwear top.

That brings me into the 20s. I've ridden 2 hours in below 30 dry weather - toasty warm.

I bring the frog togs to throw over the jacket if the weather is crap.

Been to the Smokey's many times on the bike. What you are bringing will be MORE than adequate.

I have used the warm and safe jacket for quite a few years and have found their product quite good; however, even with a regular jacket (revit sand) I found that the outside temperature would cool the heated jacket. So I took advantage of their trade-up program and upgraded to the waterproof/wind proof heated jacket and it is great, so with a mesh jacket it works fine.

Mike

2014 FJR ES

2004 Ducati ST3

'75 Water Buffalo

Whitehorse, Yukon.

Heated gear under a mesh jacket with a liner works just fine. If still cold I just throw my rain jacket over the top to stop the wind and you will be toasty. I've ridden down into the 20's like that all day long.

I've worn my mesh jacket into the 40's and felt comfortable (with the exception of my neck due to the low collar). Its a tourmaster intake 3 so it has lots of mesh. But it has a rain/wind liner and a nice thermal liner. For as little as that jacket cost its a real 3 season jacket. I'm pretty impressed by it. Haven't tried a heat liner under mine so far. Not sure I will since I bought another jacket for fall/winter/spring that should do the job better. Although my guess is that as long as your jacket seals out the wind then the jacket liner with its insulation and heating should do a nice job. Kinda depends on your jacket though.

I'm hoping Klim Apex jacket with a warm and safe liner will keep me warn for a trip around the great Lakes end if May. I never have road with a heated liner but think for this trip it's going to be a necessity. I have not ordered the jacket or the liner yet. Got a budy to who works for Polaris (which now owns klim) and he said he can get pretty good deals on their stuff. Any one got any experience with this combination?

Just got my Warm & Safe liner before winter started, but did get to use it a few times, along with my Klim Badlands Pro jacket. At 30 degrees I had just a t-shirt with the liner and jacket, and was not cold at all. Works well for me.

Mr. Prestone:

A word of caution, wherever you buy it please be sure you can return it if it doesn't fit properly. I just returned a Medium Klim Apex jacket.

I'm quite slender at 5'-11" and 145 lbs tops (ok-outright skinny). The sleeves were quite tight the entire length of my arms. I was wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and would not have been able to add any sort of long sleeve fleece/liner. Even a simple long sleeve shirt would bunch up. I did have the arm adjustment straps loosened up. It's just an odd fit, a large would have been too big everywhere else.

The other odd fit was that the collar edge pushed up against my adams apple when buttoned up as would be in a rain storm.

Also, all the pockets are a bit too shallow (or worse) for my liking. The zipped pocket just under the front storm flap is so small it wouldn't even take my old, small ipod classic. The inner mesh pocket with the hole to pass through the wires from a set of ear buds is so small I doubt anything much bigger even a deck of playing cards would fit.

Otherwise, the quality of construction etc is quite good. I really wanted it to fit but I guess I'm not built in the same proportions as either the average American or the average Klim Apex model. Oh well, back to my research. No offense to Klim, just didn't work for me.

Gotta love Revzilla, their fair & honest return policy gave me the confidence to order an $800 jacket online
smile.png

Thank you for the info FXRS. I did read somewhere else about the sleeves being a bit tight. I'm pretty confident I will have no problem re-selling it again for a profit if I decide it does not work. I don't want to say the price on here I'm am getting it for but it is a steal.

Why for a profit? Pass your deal on to the lucky buyer. Come on...we are all your forum family.

I have an Olympia mesh jacket that I wear with my First Gear heated liner. I find that as long as you can block the wind, you are good down into the lower 40s. I use an Aerostitch TLTec fleece overmine. Some merino wool base layer, the heated liner, then my Aerostitch TLTech. I also have a Merio wool mid layer I will throw over top of the heated liner THEN the TLTEc fleece if I am going on the highway. Need to keep the wind from wicking the heat away. Another tip is to tighten up the velcro on your outershell so the heated liner presses on your body. It definitely helps.