Heated Gear with mesh jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first answer is yes....but it also depends on the length of the trip.

I have an Olympia mesh jacket.....with the liner in it, along with my Gerbings liner, it is good into the low 40s.........if I were on a trip where I was expecting hours of low 40s, I would wear my textile jacket.

But.....last year, we went to Colorado in early August.....we saw temps from low 90s, down to the teens.......I was totally comfortable with my mesh/liner over Gerbings gear.

I've worn my Gerbings heated liner under my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket many times. The Gerbings full jacket liner is so warm that I don't even plug it in unless it's below 40 degrees. I also have the dual controller with my gloves plugging in the the cords at the end of the jacket liner sleeves. I always have to have more than double the current going to my gloves than the jacket liner. I'm a huge fan of Gerbings. I've had this setup for 12 years. I've ridden down to 12 degrees. Toasty all year 'round.

I have been using a Warm & Safe 90 watt liner under Olympia Airglide since 2010. I can add the wind layer and insulating layers as needed, but rarely need the insulating layer until down into the 30s. I take the W&S on every trip regardless of time of year, it's a real lifesaver when you just can't maintain core temperature without a heated liner. I sometimes will ride with temperatures as low as 0-10 degrees F with the electrics. Makes it possible, let alone comfortable.

Just FYI, you might already have heard this but Gyde now owns Gerbings. The new jacket liner is a little different than the older styles. Depending on what way you decide to go you might want to look into that a little more.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Happytrails63" data-cid="1288880" data-time="1455535085"><p>

Just FYI, you might already have heard this but Gyde now owns Gerbings. The new jacket liner is a little different than the older styles. Depending on what way you decide to go you might want to look into that a little more.</p></blockquote>

Just FYI, if you dig even deeper you'll find the Gerbing family

is back in business. They're manufacturing and selling heated

garments under the Gordan name.

See: gordonsheated.com

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Happytrails63" data-cid="1288880" data-time="1455535085"><p>Just FYI, you might already have heard this but Gyde now owns Gerbings. The new jacket liner is a little different than the older styles. Depending on what way you decide to go you might want to look into that a little more.</p></blockquote>

Just FYI, if you dig even deeper you'll find the Gerbing family

is back in business. They're manufacturing and selling heated

garments under the Gordan name.

See: gordonsheated.com
Interesting. I guess Gyde didn't get a non-compete agreement with Gordon (or maybe it has expired). They sure bad mouth Gyde on their website. I have an old Gerbing liner and don't leave home without it in cold weather--works fantastic.