The Ride to Red Lodge - Spearfish to Red Lodge, Thursday June 23rd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
It appears that there are several, if not more, folks coming from the East.

Some by bike, some by truck and trailer.

My plan is to leave Spearfish about 0600 on Thursday morning.

I intend to do a scenic route of about 500 miles crossing the Bighorns several times.

https://goo.gl/maps/woTwmjUDoES2

Anybody that wants to come with me is welcome.

The map shows this as a 9 hour adventure, I'll be surprised if it takes us that long.

A shorter, less challenging option is also available https://goo.gl/maps/zA5RHBNoss22

As always, ride your own pace.

BigJohnSD

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I'll be trailering in and my probable ETA will be sometime Wed. Would I be able to crash at your place or is there a cheap place to spend the night before heading out Thurs AM?

Cool, many thanks!

I'll let you know my plans, eta, etc after i finalize my route. If I get there earlier, are you available for some local sightseeing?

John

I will be coming in from Mi. I would love to ride with you if there is room .

I'll stay someplace local and be ready first thing Thurs. Please pm me with a address.

Thanks

Dave Peck

Stockbridge Mi.

That's a nice looking ride,

since I am going to be sleeping on Big John's pull out couch, and I am only coming from Bozeman, I am thinking that I might extend my short trip by detouring through Yellowstone, and coming over Beartooth into Red Lodge, so as to not arrive too early.

Maybe I'll see a few FJR's on the way?

So far it looks like a flight of four on Thursday morning:

LCB

Walnut 22

Cav47

will join me

LCB and Cav47 have rooms or a Futon booked at Casa de Langdell for the night of June 22nd.

One more spot available

PS - Skip, ZZipp, is doing this route a day earlier.

If anyone else wants in you'll need a place to stay in Spearfish. Call Scott at Bell's Motor Lodge

https://www.bellsmotorlodgemotel.com/

JohnI will be coming in from Mi. I would love to ride with you if there is room .

I'll stay someplace local and be ready first thing Thurs. Please pm me with a address.

Thanks

Dave Peck

Stockbridge Mi.
PM sent

I know Cav47 and I are Sena 20 equipped, what about the rest of you?

My plan is to rendezvous at the Common Grounds Coffee Shop, 111 East Hudson St in Downtown Spearfish to eat a quick breakfast and connect all the Sena Communicators so we can talk across the prairie.

Should be on the road by 6:30 - shooting to be in Red Lodge before 1630

Maybe a formation of five? I haven't finalized anything yet but I'm thinking if I put it out there in print it'll be tougher not to follow through, right?
smile.png

Back of the envelope plans have me getting to Indy or west of by Monday night. If all goes well I hope to get close and sight-see some Wednesday before checking into Bell's that night. I'll probably be PM'ing you at some point soon.

John, your route has a leg that runs to Dayton, WY on 14. It looks like a simple "over-and-back". Is it just a turn around, or a stop?

A couple of us may be in Gillette and meet you...

It can be an over and back or a stop. We can also stop short of Dayton at Burgess Junction, but you skip some good twisties by doing that. If you're going to be in Gillette let me know where and we can Rendezvous at the McDonald's at the West Edge of town exit 126 as I recall.

Dang, you guys are making me envious with all the Spearfish to Red Lodge ride talk. I'm going to have to miss out since my bike will in the trailer with the wife's sportster. The good news is I might have an empty spot in the trailer for an extra bike or two.