Shoei Neotec - Bugs in the Hat - Prevention!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I had three live bees in my new Shoei Neotec during my Red Lodge ride.

Beeing, no pun intended, allergic to bees and wasps this was no laughing matter.

My plan was to add some stainless steel screens to the vent system, under the Forward vent, to prevent the bastages from entering the Cranial Chamber.

I searched the Internet and read and reread the Manual that came with the new helmet but could not figure out how to remove the three-position top vent. I knew that the vent could be removed as Shoei and others sell the replacement Vent Cover in multiple colors.

A call to Shoei last Friday, the day before a three day weekend; what was I thinking elicited a telephonic response this morning and Ray walked me through the steps needed to remove the Top Vent.

1. Place the vent in the Middle Position

2. Insert a thin wedge of some sort, a pot scraper worked well, at the rear of the vent between the sliding portion and the fixed plastic piece, work it in slowly and carefully while sliding the sliding piece rearwards until the six plastic tabs which hold the sliding piece into the fixed plastic piece detach.

3. remove the three tiny Phillips head screws that hold the fixed plastic piece to the Helmet Shell.

I followed his instructions to the letter with some trepidation, I thought for sure I was going to break the sliding piece but eventually it came away after some prying.

20160707_123202_zpswcg1nmbj.jpg

The tiny screws are difficult to remove as well. Once out the front half of the Plastic Piece can easily be lifted up.

After lifting up the Front portion I slid a small stainless steel screen between the Plastic piece and the Helmet Shell

20160707_123455_zpstotwota6.jpg

I replaced the three small Phillips Head screws being careful not to overtighten them and strip them in the Helmet Shell.

Carefully placing the six tits of the Top Sliding Piece into the middle position slots on the Plastic Fixed piece I hit it once with the heel of my hand and the top popped into place.

I'll report later on the efficacy.

Nice work John. Never had one get in the helmet, but jacket is another story. I got stung by something on our way to Red Lodge. Glad I am not allergic to stings like you are. I had a 3rd nipple thing going.....can't imagine what it would be like if I was allergic.

I have not had anything as large as a bee get in the Neotec but I quickly found that there is a downside to wonderful ventilation. Bugs will get in. Never had that with any other helmet.

I know that if a bug half the size of a piss ant starts crawling around in my hair (or what is left of it) I have to Stop Right Now and get it out. An ant feels like a tarantula.

Good stuff John. If my Dad reads this one I have no doubt I will be following your footsteps.

That should work out for you.

My AGV came with screened vents and I've never had a whole bug inside the lid. Plenty of bug parts though.
dribble.gif

Thanks for the post John.

I haven't had a bug problem yet with my MultiTec, but as the saying goes - an ounce of prevention...

You have a PM.
sadsmiley.gif

--G

The bug seem to hit me in the face when the shield is barely cracked and the +2+2 CB shield is up. Pisses me off but its my own fault. LOL. I need fresh air when I ride so I usually have the shield cracked a little.

My recent ride on the Cherohala Skyway resulted in a bee entering the helmet through the visor opening, and me getting thrown off the left side of the bike as the stator was sacrificed on a curb. I could do without the bugs in the helmet, but they have consistently come through an open visor, rather than the vents. Good work John.

That, as you may know from your Navy years, is a PIP (Product Improvement Program). The NeoTec Program Manger will be pleased.

Great post. I haven't caught any insects through vents in my shoei's or nolans, but I caught two bees, alive, at the same time in one of my Nolan's a couple of years ago. I can't remember if my visor was open or if the bar was up. But it took resolve to wait for a turnoff, and to slowly kick and dismount, while the bee was crawling all over my ear. Managed to get the helmet off without getting stung. Set him free, and only on a last double check before putting the helmet back on did I realize I'd caught a second. I was lucky.

Yellow & Bees go together quite well. I can't imagine them getting in while riding and wonder if the solution would be to close the vents when stopped?

I do however like the fix you came up with. Grinding the larger bugs up upon entry is definitely less irritating & prevents blockage obstructions.

Brilliant solution. I love the NeoTec myself, but I've never had a bug enter by this route that I know of. I've had a few find their way in through the front when I did not have the face shield all the way down.

Ditto, but nice solution. I rarely close my shield, but wear eye protection. When I've had bugs that didn't just bounce right out, I flip the helmet open. Good luck so far..

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get a horsefly through the airwent last year, it was tickeling my head so bad (I´ve got a crewcut) that I had to stop and take it out uf my Neotec before I ran off the road.

Never thought about the Bees and Yellow Helmets. I was on a group ride to Hurricane Ridge yesterday, 8/20/16, and left my helmet sitting on the GPS/Rambone. Several bees of some sort in the area while I was eating lunch. Haven't noticed that before so I will put the helmet in the saddlebags. I also wear a Hi-Viz Tourmaster Transition III jacket that was drapped across the saddle but it won't fit in a saddlebag. Little toasty, even on the Peninsula, but cooler than Mercer Island. Hurricane Ridge road is fun after you pass the Entrance Booth. Note: If you are over 62 you can get a Lifetime National Parks pass for $10.00. Had to show my drivers license and sign the back of the card int he presence of the Ranger on Duty. Piece of cake and well worth it considering the normal charge for a Motorcyle day pass is $15.00.

Wow! Like others have said, great info! Never had this happen and I guess I just assumed.....yah bad idea I guess...that Shoei would have done this from the get go! May have to do this....I have the Charcoal though....anything to the bees liking yellow more theory?

I'm certain that my visor was fully closed and i always have the Chin Guard in place for noise reduction. The only place those bastages could have come in was through the Top Vent.

2,600miles since installing the screens, Bees on the Face Shield, Bees on the Wind Screen, Bees on the front of the Bike but no Bees in the Helmet :)