Pre- NAFO 2 Up Ride to the Grand Canyon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Usually a cycle trip means time away. Time away from home, time away from my wife and best of all … time away from work.

While getting away from work is great, I often miss my wife and even being home - sometimes. As my bucket list of certificate rides gets shorter,

The want/need to include my wife into riding has increased. Well for the NAFO event a compromise was reached. My wife flew into Denver while

I found my way out west (After a days stay in Monroe, LA at a friends)

Day 1 - I rode to Monroe 1000 miles

Day 2 - I stayed in Monroe

Day 3 -I rode to the Denver Airport to pick my wife up 1000+ miles

Since the ride to Monroe took nearly 18 hours, I left for Denver at 4 am central, thinking that would put me there in time for her 10 pm arrival.

I arrived in Denver at 5 pm mountain. Now I had 5 hours to kill, so I took the last non toll exit and got a 4 hour Iron butt hotel stay. The ride through Texas

was Hot so afternoon showers near Denver were smiled upon. (Even though I missed a double rainbow photo:

P7250501_zpsnrpne6au.jpg

After her flight arrived, we rode to Georgetown, CO for an over night stay.

Day 4 - The next late morning we rode to Page, AZ for a 2 night stay.

Some sights on the ride there included a visit to the Stone settlements:

P7270503_zpsc69frvho.jpg

P7270505_zpsfp9un6a4.jpg

P7270506_zpscdafp3i1.jpg

Day 5 - The North rim of the Grand Canyon

Just inside the park we came across these beautiful beast:

P7270509_zps2yf2wfgc.jpg

P7270508_zpsqjjcgw7t.jpg

When the bull crossed slowly in front of us things were "OK", but his pals picked up the pace and I back peddled the bike

to a more comfortable distance.

The North rim was great !

P7270510_zps2vj6syva.jpg

P7270511_zpsfcfv3vbf.jpg

Part 2 to follow…

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2-

Day 6 - Ride from Page, AZ to Montrose, CO

Nice riding with the heat being the only issue. We HAD to stop at the 4 corners…

After some nice riding we stopped for a light meal in Rico, CO (Where else?
rolleyes.gif
)

Riding AND spending time with my wife was clearly the best of both worlds !

Thanks Tony. Mark beat me to it on the buffalo but the only time I rode into the north rim was years ago on spring opening day and there was still feet of snow in those meadows.

Riding AND spending time with my wife was clearly the best of both worlds !
Then how come you're standing in Colorado and she's in Utah?
rolleyes.gif
We have many other pictures of our trip, I just posted a few taken with my cheap rally camera. I have a picture of her covering all four

states, but a husband does not post some pictures for the public .
angel.gif

Besides… the Navajo representative asked us to leave their sacred grounds after the photographing was done.
rolleyes.gif

Hey! Why you gotta be bashing my turf?

Gotta say though, around half of my SS1K coming home from after nafo was west Texas, ugh....

Some familiar sights so far - reminding me of my ride out west with the Redfish and Ramjt in October. I'm counting on your trip not to end the way mine did....

More please.....