1st tank of fuel observations...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
Some thoughts after a full day with the FJR and about 500ish kms:

1. Wow. Comfy much? Other than some small ergonomic tweaks to be done, it was an awesome day of touring.
  2. Holy smooth power batman! What a joy to drive.
  3. Ummm...why am I being thrown around by transport truck air again? Lighter bike, higher center of gravity I suppose. I can live with this.
  4. Hard bags. How did I live without them? So nice to lock my stuff away and not have to worry about it.
  5. Power windshield. Why is this not standard equipment on EVERY BIKE MADE, EVERYWHERE? I'm a little bit in love with this thing.
  6. She's toasty down.... there....in the city, at a light, it's a smidgen warm in the nether regions. And it was only around 80 F today. What's it like at 100F?
  7. Took my hands off the bars to stretch them out...WHAT. THE. F&*% is going on there? Huge wobbles in the front end as soon as I take my hands off. Tire balance issue? That has to be fixed....

Overall, it's a huge improvement over the M109 for touring, and just a joy to drive. I hope the guy that got my 9 is happy, cuz he ain't gettin' the Feej back.

Now to do some research on lowering, moving the bars back (looks easy), removing/modifying the rear fender.

Thanks for all your help in making this decision boys, I hope I'm as happy at the end of next season as I am right now with her!

Cheers,

Randy.

Front end wobble is almost certainly an issue with a front tire. Check inflation (40 psi is good) but there is a pretty good chance it needs replacement. (Not simply balance) Could be rear tire or possibly steering head torque (too loose) but far more likely the front tire.

Don't modify the rear fender! Some people have "cropped" them to reduce the slightly dorky appearance but have suffered when riding in the rain! Never heard of anyone who was happy with the result.

You may (eventually) want to do something with the stock seat, if that is what's on it. After 500 miles or so in a day, that slab of foam feels like a slab of lumber.

A little warm at a stop but almost never an issue if moving. Make sure the appropriate insulation is in place on the inside of the body panels and under the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like it. Just a couple suggestions:

The bar wobble is probably from a worn front tire. Run your tires at around 41 front and 43 rear. That will mostly solve the cupping issues on your next set of tires. Until then, just hang onto the bars.

As far as the rear fender goes, give it a little to grow on you. There are reports from those who have shortened theirs about water up their backs. It's also a good place to mount a good LED aux brake light.

Have fun.

Try moving out the two fairing panes by your knees. Remove the two, slotted, quarter turn fasteners, swing out panel, replace fasteners. This will deflect the hot air outward a bit, away from you.

Give serious thought before butchering the rear fender. I hated the look at first myself but after being in the rain for long stretches of time I'm damn glad I didn't cut it. My wife has a BMW F800ST and p.o. modified the rear fender and on wet roads in rain it throws huge amounts of spray everywhere as a result.

On steering wobble for a new bike, if tire inflation does not do the trick I would check steering head bearing torque, or request the dealer do it at the first service. It would not be inconceivable for the steering torque to be off on a new bike.

On steering wobble for a new bike, if tire inflation does not do the trick I would check steering head bearing torque, or request the dealer do it at the first service. It would not be inconceivable for the steering torque to be off on a new bike.
Bike's not new (2008). As per my post (above), I am guessing bad (or underinflated) front tire with the lesser possibility of steering head or even rear tire.

Some thoughts after a full day with the FJR and about 500ish kms:
  1. Ummm...why am I being thrown around by transport truck air again? Lighter bike, higher center of gravity I suppose. I can live with this.
  2. Took my hands off the bars to stretch them out...WHAT. THE. F&*% is going on there? Huge wobbles in the front end as soon as I take my hands off. Tire balance issue? That has to be fixed....
Cheers,Randy.
Randy,

You can try experimenting with different windshields, to change how crosswinds affect the bike tracking. Lowering the windshield temporarily may help there, too. Windshields can be bought and sold here frequently, so you can get most of your money back by re-selling (or trading) if one type does not work for you. I have a Cal Science touring windshield on my 2008, and that works for me.

Hands-off front wheel wobble may be caused by the front tire getting old, not just worn. Here is a Tire age decoder (click and scroll down) :

Tire Age Decoder

Check the torque on the steering head nut, certainly. Replacing the steering head ball bearings with Timken tapered roller bearings has been a good fix for some, but I'd want that hardware on my bike, anyway. Next (first) time I get in in there . . .
coolsmiley02.gif
Timken is just the best. Somebody here had the correct Timken Part Numbers, if you Search in the old posts. As you say, any front end wobble (hands-off) should not be tolerated. I have Michelin Road Pilot2s on my 2008, and they are not very new, but I have no wobbles at all, hands-off at any speed.

Cheers,

infrared

Be advised to torque the steering stem bearings one must remove the top triple clamp. The nut to torque is under. Torquing the nut on top of the triple clamp does nothing.

Hey thanks for all the awesome advice folks!

I will leave the rear fender as is. I don't do a LOT of riding in the rain, but with longer tours like I plan, you never know what happens.

I have contacted Kaoko about the throttle lock not working properly and am working with them on a solution. I searched on here and found some possible solutions too.

Both tires were new this spring and have less than 1000 kms on them. I will check the date codes and make sure they weren't old stock.

I like the steering head bearings idea, will try that if the tires end up not being the culprit.

There is a special tool required for the steering head and a procedure defined in the service manual. Some people overtighten steering head bearings to suppress the wobble but that is a really bad idea. I still think it is more likely a tire issue. IF only 1000 miles on them, check the pressure (what brand of tire?). Some tires are bad right out of the store.

Replacing the steering bearings with tapered roller ones is the only thing that made my front end wobble go away.

Tires are Avon AV65-front, AV66-rear. These are the 3D Storm X-M model.

I will check the tire pressures when I get home tonight.

I don't see any date codes that look like the ones on the link that infrared shared. This is what was on the sidewall:

***EDIT***, I found the date codes - May of 2016, so I am pretty sure they are still fresh! :)

https://goo.gl/photos/RZWTX1WDH2sRRq8QA

(Needless to say, I am still struggling with the photo extension limitation on this site. I have tried changing to jpg, bmp, etc)

Very glad to read that you are enjoying the bike. Few other suggestions:

1. Which windscreen are you using? How tall are you? Which seat are you using? At where (at which position) are you using the seat (hi/low)? The answers to these questions can tell us a lot about the buffeting you are experiencing. There are many fixes to suggest.

2. Definitely re-torque the steering head nut. Simple procedure - many threads here on it.

3. We know that your valve check is current, but in addition to that, if it were my bike, this is what I would do now:

- replace rear end oil

- lubricate drive shaft splines, rear wheel to pumpkin gear, and the rear axle (think coat of moly grease)

- lubricate all pivot points (both levers, rear brake pedal, shift assy, etc. - waterproof grease.

- flush brake and clutch fluid thoroughly

- remove the front calipers and clean the brake pad pins and make sure they move freely

- check wheel bearings front and rear.

- next time you pull the plastics off, lubricate the worm gear on the windshield motor assy.

- pull all light bulbs out and put some di-electric grease on the contacts.

4. somebody chime in on if this bike has any "spider" issues, and if so, what to do about it.

"Transport Truck" issues aside, she's a bit more smooth than that cruiser, eh?

Glad you like the bike - ride on, man.

Just whipping the horse...

That nerdy rectangle at the bottom of the fender keeps spray, dirt

and mud out of the trunk's handle and latch, as proven by side-by-side comparison. However, the rear wheel is easier to remove with a trimmed fender.

My 2012 was delivered new with a serious hands-off wobble.

Adding load in the sides & trunk made it worse.

Neither new tires nor suspension settings lessened the issue.

Tapered bearings fixed the wobble on my machine.

When I bought my used Honda ST1300 it had a front end wobble as well. It was the rear shock that caused it. Replaced with a custom valved shock and problem went away.

Just whipping the horse...
My 2012 was delivered new with a serious hands-off wobble.

Adding load in the sides & trunk made it worse.

Neither new tires nor suspension settings lessened the issue.

Tapered bearings fixed the wobble on my machine.
This. My 15A has the wobble. I have messed with tire pressures, steering head bearing torque, new tires, old tires, loaded, not loaded, suspension settings. It has a wobble. It's the bike. I haven't tried the tapered bearing yet, but will.