I guess I do need to talk about it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHredliner

Reaction score
About a month ago I had a close call. Coming around a sharp right corner maybe 50 mph and encountered crushed stone in the corner forcing me toward the double yellow. At the same time two oncoming vehicles were in the corner. I knew it was going to be close and thought I might just make it (praying) when I heard a bang! I immediately went to the oncoming shoulder and put the stand down. As I did I saw oil on my left pant leg and boot and my big toe hurt. I was a bit shaken but extremely grateful! It was a few minutes before the oncoming car came back ( very twisty road and they needed to find a place to turn around ) so I looked over the bike to find the frame slider gone and the stator shattered. Other than that relatively minor damage nothing else appeared to be wrong with the bike. Again I was really thankful to be alive and that I didn't even go down. All in all it could have been much worse.

Now what next since I am about 60 miles from home and no cell service. The bike needs to be towed and I have to work in the morning. A few minutes pass and one of the oncoming car comes back. We are all unhurt and glad of it. Apparently the frame slider caught the wheel well of their rear bumper detaching it from the body slightly and must've smashed the stator on its way back. Very minor damage and all can be fixed. The gentleman in the car tells me that I was not over the yellow line when he saw me. Local police show up and then state after the driver goes up the road to get cell signal. Report are made and arrangements for a flatbed. In the close to 2 hours between the accident and the time the tow arrives both leo's hang around with me until one needs to be going. During this time we are all amazed at how many cars, trucks and bikes come around this corner way into the oncoming lane, including a utility truck and an HD 4-5 feet over the double yellow! The officers just shake their heads.

I arrive home late in the evening and the insurance covers the minor ( around $1000 ) damage. Progressive was good and so far my rate hasn't gone up. $261/yr. renewal was just paid. We'll see what next year brings. So I am without my bike for about 3 weeks and when I hear it is ready I go to pick it up, finding that they are just waiting for the frame sliders to arrive but I can just bring it back for the quick install when they do. In the meantime my girlfriend if acting funny when I talk about riding ( she was not on the bike when the accident happened ) and I think I know what she is thinking. We talk and she is in fact afraid as she has a 17 yr. old daughter the she needs to be around for. I realize that I wasn't being all too nice when I tell her that she will be spending a lot of time alone if she doesn't want to ride with me anymore. Why did I need to say that? ( apology ). Our riding season is winding down up here and I wanted to do several of our "notches" yesterday. Marlo agrees to go with me and I take it easy ( for the most part ) going slower than usual. Did I mention I like to go fast? We stop to pee and then pull off in Kinsman Notch, our first of hopefully several notches for the day. There is a beautiful beaver pond that I always stop at just past a nice stretch of sweepers. Pulling out I drop the bike for the first time in over two yrs. of ownership! Of course it is the left side that has no frame slider and in trying to hold it up with her behind me and the topcase also I strain my shoulder and badly bruise my ego. Damn! the new stator is scratched and also the mirror, saddlebag and fairing right next to the glove box! Now I feel like crap. A car driving by stops and we lift the bike up. Glad to have the help, we talk for a minute as I survey the damage and lick my wounds.

We do continue our ride doing 3 more notches but just not feeling right. Marlo definitely helps by being understanding and kind. She is off at work now and I just got back from my annual Dr. appt. Lunch is packed and I need to get back in the saddle since there won't be too many more riding days here this year.

I guess I just needed to talk about it. Confidence is a bit low.

Any time you're involved in an accident it's normal to question yourself for a while afterwards. I hit a deer back in '02 and for some time after rode almost too cautiously until my confidence gradually returned. Only you know when it's time to not ride. Like Wheaton says above you'll find your joy again.

Look into your heart. You'll know what to do. No shame in walking past the bike as you get into your car. None.

I stopped riding for 30 years to raise my sons, and have taken it up again with renewed passion now that they're grown and gone. That was my decision; yours will be your decision.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

... and you posted it 5 times for emphasis, right?
coolsmiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into your heart. You'll know what to do. No shame in walking past the bike as you get into your car. None.
I stopped riding for 30 years to raise my sons, and have taken it up again with renewed passion now that they're grown and gone. That was my decision; yours will be your decision.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

... and you posted it 5 times for emphasis, right?
coolsmiley02.gif
He said he had to talk about it!

biggrin.png

After going down once (ok twice) I always (try to ) wear ATGATT .

I also slowed down (a little) especially w/ a passenger. I always am happy to be riding, but not always happy w/ my skill level. So ... we all need to practice more.

Think of riding more often as 'practicing' your skills more often, and the more you practice the better you get!

Keep riding and you will keep riding better!
smile.png

A wise lady who hangs out at this forum from time to time (and takes GEORGEOUS pictures for that matter) gave me invaluable advice after my latest crash.

(yeah - that's right. I'm not proud of it, but there has been more than 1)

"Choosing not to decide right now is a perfectly acceptable choice and decision."

Please don't push this. Take your time. You'll know when you know.

Holy quintuple post Batman!

Quite the experience there, and if you take your time rebuilding both of your confidences, all will be right with your world again.

Wait a minute. You damaged an '07 not once but twice?

Yes, by all that is right and just you should stop riding. Damnit man, you should have stopped before the first crash!

For shame.
smile.png

I had a simular experiance a few years back in Cumberland Gap KY. I was running 20+ into a blind left hand corner. I was stradling the yellow line on my side but the bike was hanging over. Then a Honda civic came around the corner and he was haulin ass also late for a wedding being a best man and all. He was over the line heading in my direction. We both corrected and brushed each other as we passed. I had less than 2 seconds to react and thankfully my skills kicked in without hesitation. I left a black line along the side of his car from the rubber bumper on the bag. He took off the reflector on my bike. It was that close. He came back and we pretty much called it even and went on our way. Hopped back on the bike and finished the days ride.

The one caviat is my wife. I got no grief from her what so ever. Did I tell you she was on the back two up the whole time. She puts a lot of faith in my riding ability (Maybe to much) and figures we will both go out at the same time if something drastic does ever happen. Many times I have tossed that bike through the corners and never a peep from the back seat. I couldn't ask for a better riding partner. I hope yours comes around to see it your way.

Good luck,

Dave

@redliner - Many of us get it. Glad that you got it off your chest.

I was behind Dave (08FJR4ME) down in KY (we may have been in TN at the time) when the above story happened, so I can tell you, it's a no shitter. We were running a very spirited pace that day, both before and after his reflectorectomy. It's easy to get carried away on those fine, fine roads down south.

We all have our moments. Part of the excitement of motorcycling is that it's risky, and if we are being honest with ourselves the reason most of us ride fast is because it's downright dangerous. Without the risk, there is no reward.

I don't think you were saying that you are going to quit riding any time soon. But just take your time to reassess, and get your mojo back. We all go through it. Sometimes when I'm doing the old guy thing and can't sleep at night I'll start thinking of some incident in the past where I didn't do the exact right thing and it could have taken me out for good. Believe me, there are more than one of those occasions.

But you just have to let it sit,and eventually you'll put it behind you and continue on, and soon it won't matter so much. Why? Because there isn't anything else you can do that is quite as much fun as riding a motorcycle. And riding it faster is funner. It's why we love the stupid things we do on them.

edit - Oh yeah I forgot. Don't lose any sleep over having dropped the bike. There aren't many FJR owners that won't admit to having done the same, and most of the others are lying. THe FJR is one heavy pig, and with a passenger is even heavier. When she wants a nap, she's gonna lay down.

Damn this old computer! Can I delete 4 of the 5?

Thanks everyone for the comments, kind words and sarcasm. Just got back from a great ride up into Maine, 230 miles. No I am not done riding yet! Aside from my shoulder I am feeling much better.

You could probably edit the later posts and just delete the text.

Yeah most of us have dropped our bikes. It is an ego bruiser for sure, but feel no shame over it.

Just continue to feel thankful the impact with the car wasn't any worse and ride on.

Damn this old computer! Can I delete 4 of the 5?

Actually, I don't think you have edit privileges until you post a requisite number of posts (the exact number I am unsure of). A kindly expressed request to one of the admins may get some help in cleaning the little mess up.
wink.png

Hey, NHredliner,

Deleting your multiple posts is not really important on the scale of important things. Leave it for the FNGs five years from now. Besides, I think it reflects your emotional state as you wrote and remembered the incident. Totally effective.

Respectfully as always,

Uncle Hud

Thanks again everyone! And an apology to the admins for the multiple posts. A new computer may not be in my budget right now but the price of those leftover 2015's!! Told the gf that since I got a few new scratches on the 07...

Today on my way out for a ride I stopped to see the guy I bought the bike from. He is an excellent body man and has done work on my car. He looked at the bike and said easy fix for a few hundred and if I decide to get it done over the winter he'll just take the damaged pieces off and it will be as good as new. But it still won't be a 2015 genIII in that lovely graphite grey that perfectly matches my VW Jetta!

I need to stop looking at these deals.