quick and easy answer on coms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me some quick answers without doing hours of research. Been riding for over 20yrs and never had any coms. Im looking for something mainly for rider to passenger communications. Me and my daughter are taking a lengthy trip next year so I thought the ability to chat would be nice. I dont care for the speakers as i usually have my etymotic earbuds in as does she listening to music. What would be the best system to go with? 90% of my riding is me, 9% is with a passenger and the other 1% is with others which no one I know has coms.

Some questions which might help others guide you: Where do you get your music from? Any interest in taking phone calls? Any other devices e.g. GPS or RD piped in?

I'd go with another set of Sena 20s. You can plug your buds into those and they're advanced enough that you won't outgrow them from a technical standpoint, probably ever. Battery life is really good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UCLEAR AMP Pro looks like the most advanced yet. The advantage is not having a boom mic in front of your mouth. You can get a drink or use a flip up helmet easier. They have Bluetooth 4.2 and great speakers. They work with an app for updating and operating so they're easy to use. I would check them out along with the SENAs. I really like not having a mic stuck out there.

Wife and I have used Sena SMH10 more than 4 years through all sorts of weather, hours on end and would buy them again tomorrow if ours died. Being able to use while charging is a huge plus.

I bought the Sena S20 this year. I am very pleased with them. I can connect them to my phone and GPS and talk to others as I ride. Very nice. There is a learning curve but you will learn quickly to use the features you use most of the time.

I have jumped in on questions like this before, and for the last 4 seasons, have enjoyed a pair of Sena SMH-10s. Very durable, reliable, affordable, and only maybe next year I am wondering about getting LiOn batteries replaced.

We're still getting about 6-8 hrs ride time out of them each day.

Other posters here are correct though, you're likely to get extended functionality with the Sena 20 unit, - neat especially if you like smartphone apps and managing your toys from that as a controller.

Enjoy.

I jumped into the Coms world this year with a pair of Sena 20's. Having a girlfriend who rides with me made me get them. As a plus I can now answer phone calls now, listen to FM and stream music. These have worked well so far.

I ride solo, have no need for music, phone calls, GPS, current stock prices, yada, yada, yada. I would just want bike-to-bike coms. No reason to choose the Sena 20 over the Sena 10 in this case, right?

Dan

I've owned two models of the Cardo Scala brand. Very reliable and great battery life. Then I bought the Sena 20. What a leap forward. Lots more features, links up with my Garmin effortlessly and the voice quality when I'm using the phone is superb. Most people think I am sitting at home talking when they call me!

I ride solo, have no need for music, phone calls, GPS, current stock prices, yada, yada, yada. I would just want bike-to-bike coms. No reason to choose the Sena 20 over the Sena 10 in this case, right?
Dan
The 20 has better range, so it depends on how far apart you ride. I'm using the SMH10 and I'll lose the wife on her bike if I get too far ahead and especially around corners/over hills. I don't remember the specs, but it seems like my 10's go about 1/4 mile if it's line of sight. The 20 is almost double IIRC.

Dan
The 20 has better range, so it depends on how far apart you ride. I'm using the SMH10 and I'll lose the wife on her bike if I get too far ahead and especially around corners/over hills. I don't remember the specs, but it seems like my 10's go about 1/4 mile if it's line of sight. The 20 is almost double IIRC.
Good to know, thanks!

Dan