quick and easy answer on coms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use earbuds with the sena instead of the speakers?
Yes. As said above the 20S has this standard. A friend had to purchase an optional base to have headphone jack for his SMH10. Can't say don't know about 10S.
I don't think the 10S has the a setup for ear buds. That's why I stayed with the 20S. All you have to do is plug in the earbuds and the 20S automatically go to the buds. Unplug the earbuds and the 20S goes back to helmet speakers automatically.

Sena SMH10. I have the SMH10R and installed the battery pack in the back of the helmet through the little access door in my Nolan N-104. Makes a clean installation. I use the provided speakers and they work fine for me. I don't have any problem hearing while wearing earplugs. Load music to my Garmin and turn the cell phone off as I don't use it while driving or riding. Even music can be a distraction at times.

Maybe I'm just old school (or maybe just OLD), but I like my Autocomm. Had for a lot of years and moved across several bikes. Yes I have wires, but I'm OK with it and never had any issues with pairing-up a device. It does everything I need. Music, GPS/Directions, Passenger comms, and phone. I have the connections for radio and CB but just haven't had a need to add yet. You can pick these up used for a song from time-to-time, and I have purchased several complete sets just to get one or two specific patch cables I did not have for the price of the individual cable new. Only down side is I only get about 3 years (sometimes less) out of my helmet cord set. Even with the strain reliefs, the fine wires will have a tendency to break and you end up with sound cutting in-and-out on one side. I always carry a spare and just swap it out when necessary (another advantage of purchasing complete sets is having lots of cables to choice from).

Yes. As said above the 20S has this standard. A friend had to purchase an optional base to have headphone jack for his SMH10. Can't say don't know about 10S.
I don't think the 10S has the a setup for ear buds. That's why I stayed with the 20S. All you have to do is plug in the earbuds and the 20S automatically go to the buds. Unplug the earbuds and the 20S goes back to helmet speakers automatically.
I don't have one but it appears the 10S does have the earbud port.

10S_Product-Details_800x480.jpg

The 10S will indeed take earbuds. That's the setup I have. My wife has a 10U. We love them, they work great.

I'd go with another set of Sena 20s. You can plug your buds into those and they're advanced enough that you won't outgrow them from a technical standpoint, probably ever. Battery life is really good too.
Already answered.

Thanks for the info so far. As far as distance, goes, this will be 99% rider passenger. Anything else will be letting someone borrow a unit so thats not a concern since I rarely ride in groups.

This is strictly for me and my daughter to tske a trip on next year.

Thanks for the info so far. As far as distance, goes, this will be 99% rider passenger. Anything else will be letting someone borrow a unit so thats not a concern since I rarely ride in groups.
Same for me. I only needed communication between my passenger and myself. What helmets do you have? Sena makes the 10U to fit several helmets specifically. The fit of my wife's 10U on her modular Schuberth is flawless. You can't see anything. It's a very slick setup. I'm using the universal fit for my Shoei RF1200 and am happy with it. Let me know if you have any other ?s, I'm glad to help.

I've been using Sena's SMH10 for 4 years now and its great. But I've been looking at the new 10C Evo. Similar to the 10C its got a camera built in, but this one is much smaller with a much better camera. Probably more than you're looking for but that may be the one that gets me to switch from the SMH10.

cheers

Maybe I'm just old school (or maybe just OLD), but I like my Autocomm. Had for a lot of years and moved across several bikes. Yes I have wires, but I'm OK with it and never had any issues with pairing-up a device. It does everything I need. Music, GPS/Directions, Passenger comms, and phone. I have the connections for radio and CB but just haven't had a need to add yet. You can pick these up used for a song from time-to-time, and I have purchased several complete sets just to get one or two specific patch cables I did not have for the price of the individual cable new. Only down side is I only get about 3 years (sometimes less) out of my helmet cord set. Even with the strain reliefs, the fine wires will have a tendency to break and you end up with sound cutting in-and-out on one side. I always carry a spare and just swap it out when necessary (another advantage of purchasing complete sets is having lots of cables to choice from).
Same here. I have one Pro-M1 system which is about 18 years and is on its 3rd bike. A friend gave me his and I have it as a spare. I've have HAM/FRS/GMRS radio, mp3 player, phone, V1, gps and my wife all on this system. Works great!

Same for me. I only needed communication between my passenger and myself. What helmets do you have? Sena makes the 10U to fit several helmets specifically. The fit of my wife's 10U on her modular Schuberth is flawless. You can't see anything. It's a very slick setup. I'm using the universal fit for my Shoei RF1200 and am happy with it. Let me know if you have any other ?s, I'm glad to help.
Both are scorpion 920 modulars.