Why dealers matter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Yesterday some (insert bad word of your choice) stole the helmet off my bike while it was parked in an old folks home while I was visiting my mother in law. Left me 25 miles from home at 2 in the afternoon.

I could rant about the theft, and the low life scum who would stoop so low as to steal a helmet off a bike.

If there is a silver lining, its this;

I called my dealer from the parking lot and explained to the owner what had happened to me as I wanted to ask about what helmets that they had in stock. She told me to wait there, she would send someone with a helmet that I could use to ride home or back to the dealer so I could purchase a replacement helmet. I have to say that I was only about 5 miles from the dealer, but I did not expect to get a helmet delivered!

-Steve

Sorry to hear about your helmet getting ripped off. Had that happen once myself and it sucks.

Glad to hear your dealership experience was a good one. Please post the dealership name so that at least the forum members close to you know where to patronize when the time is right. We all hate the "stealerships" that so many have become yet they're still something of a necessary evil and the smart ones will survive and hopefully make our experiences when we deal with them better.

I have friends who are so trusting that they leave their jacket, helmet, and gloves on the bike when they go into a restaurant.

Personally, I never leave gear on the bike, except in locked saddle bags.

I've had too much stuff stolen over my lifetime to be so trusting.

Great dealer support though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fairly trusting and might take a chance in my own town but would never do so while on a trip somewhere. Too much to lose if someone steals a helmet or GPS.

Kudos to the dealer who bailed you out on this!!

I just ordered Scott Townsends helmet lock bracket (see thread in "Group Buys") just for this purpose. Great guy to work with and super fast delivery.

I've gotten tired of taking the helmet into a restaurant and having to find a place to put it. I do leave some gear on the bike if I'm going someplace in the middle of nowhere, but high traffic areas it's just too easy for someone to stop and grab a helmet off of a bike. Now that I've got a Sena attached to it, it's just too risky to leave on the seat.

Awesome that your dealer went out of their way for you. Love to hear good dealer stories.

Now that I've got a Sena attached to it, it's just too risky to leave on the seat.
Unfortunately, the Sena can still be stolen, even with the helmet locked on the bike. (unless you unclip and take the electronic "guts" with you.)

Habits from a prior life, always park my bikes where I can monitor them, if not, then nothing left on scooter. Years ago a quick stop at the local mom and pop resulted in a stolen pair of gloves left on bike.

Dealer is Daytona Motorsports on King George Blvd in Surrey BC

Schuberths dont really lend themslves to traditional helmet locks, no d-ring.

I use(d) a cable pistol lock to tie the helmet to the bike. Cheap and effective.

I didnt think I needed to worry at an old folks home behind a fence and in front of 15 video cameras.

-Steve

sapest posted: Yesterday some (insert bad word of your choice) stole the helmet off my bike while it was parked in an old folks home while I was visiting my mother in law. Left me 25 miles from home at 2 in the afternoon. <snip>
Big sympathies.

Happened to me about two weeks ago. While I was angry at the low-life scumbag piece of shit asshole (insert more bad words of your choice) that did the stealing, I was furious at my own naivete.

You see, I have one of TownsendFJR's helmet locks but just use it as a helmet hanger. You can bet that since then, my naivete has been silent and the helmet's been locked everywhere I park. The low-life scumbag piece of shit asshole also stole my Sena 20s (attached) and a nice pair of Bilt ventilated gloves that were stuffed inside the hat.

Really sad that some people have no morals.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in Iceland I spent an evening with a drunk sheep farmer who tried to teach me Icelandic swearing. This is the best one I can remember, & goes out to all the low-life scumbags who steal helmets -

Hlandbrenndu andskotans ónytjungur.

Rough translation - 'may you burn from your own urine, by the devil, you sorry sack of shit'.

Feel free to use this curse when necessary. Icelanders take cursing very seriously, they have been perfecting curses since before the Vikings came to visit.

-Steve

That's what sets good dealers apart from not so good dealers. I made the mistake of spraying some cleaner on my pinlock visor. It etched it and ruined it. I went to the local dealer, asked if they carried the pin lock lens and they said "We don't really carry many of those". Never moved from behind the counter and that was the end of the conversation. Drove 60 miles to another dealer, walked in, asked them, and the guy goes to the Shoei book and gets the part number and says "we don't stock that, but we do stock the helmet it came with". He typed into the computer for a couple minutes, walks into the back, brings out the pin lock lens. Says "Here you go. We don't stock it, but I took one from a new helmet and I have ordered a replacement for that one, so I can sell you one".

Hell Yeah! Now that's the way you do it. The dealer that was 2 miles from my house could have done the same thing, but he didn't. That's why I drive by his place every time I need something. Some people get it, some don't. I reward those that do get it. I'll drive 60 miles to buy a $10 item just to make sure my business goes to those who appear to care about having my business.