Adventures in the Southeast US

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm gonna try this real time posting of photos for my big Southeast US trip… Julie/fjrfarrier inspired me to give it a go so thank you for that!! So last year I had wanted to attend EOM and SFO. I looked at the cost of renting a Spyder and round trip airfare and realized that I could ship my own bike out and back for less… and with my current job situation, I had the flexibility to take off the four weeks between the two events and gallivant around the Southeast US… so a plan was hatched, routes were made, and off I went last Friday to Baltimore where Nancy (aka Miss Kitty) picked me up at the airport and took me to pick up the bike.

Unfortunately, there was a wee problem as one of the side case mounts somehow got broken in transit… put the case in Nancy’s car, rode the bike back to her house, and MacGuyver’d a fix with an Aerostich strap that would hold for the trip… I’ll deal with ordering parts and such when I get back… I got some riding to do!

20170922_160027-X2.jpg

Spent the weekend getting acclimated to the time change… rough life, I know…

And got to enjoy one of my favorites things… sunsets!

Nancy’s pup packed her favorite toy and was ready to come along with me!
20170924_221627-X2.jpg

On Tuesday, I had lunch at the Pentagon with one of my favorite Marine friends who I used to ride with while he was stationed in California and he also acted as my personal tour guide... no photos allowed but I did get the t- shirt as well as given a Marine medallion from my friend that will travel with me always.
20170926_164001-X2.jpg

Then on my way to Virginia, I stopped at a very cool antique store…

If I had room in my saddle bags, I’d have taken this with me…
20170926_151334-X2.jpg

Saw a toy that I had as a child there... crap, what does that make me?? Lol
20170926_152236-X2.jpg

Arrived safely at Bob/intech and Janet’s house albeit a little sweaty from the heat and humidity but they treated me like royalty and had a great bbq dinner…

Bob and his brother have been working on their bikes and we will all be leaving early tomorrow morning to head for Wytheville… let the adventures begin!!

Thursday, Sept. 30th

Wonderful day on some great back roads including some of the Blue Ridge Pkwy on our way to EOM... about 350 (s)miles and wiped out in a good way!

Early morning start…

Brothers…

My favorite road of the day… Dick Woods Rd…

Up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and lunch at Peaks of Otter…

20170928_132908-1506944457270-X2.jpg

One intrepid leaders…

We alighted at the Ramada in Wytheville, folks foraged for food, and the parking lot antics began…

20170928_212154-1506944456360-X2.jpg

Newcomer Patrick got schooled on the one-finger salute and was obviously a quick learner…

20170928_212240-1506944456730-X2.jpg

Sigh…

20170928_212738-1506944456050-X2.jpg

Bob look confused… Petey, always willing to help, coached Bob ninja-style on the correct one-finger salute…

20170928_215425-1506944455325-X2.jpg

Bill kept droning along…

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday, October 1st

Achingly beautiful day... perfect weather, sun dappled forests, rolling green hills, running streams, no traffic, and great friends... thankful for it all.

Beautiful blue skies…

Getting ready to go…

20170929_084129-1506944453930-X2.jpg

Patrick and his daughter, Alex, were onboard…

20170929_090255-1506944453738-X2.jpg

Taking a break to enjoy the view…
20170929_113828-1506944453486-X2.jpg

Gary/VABikeBreaker (or something like that)…

What we had to endure…

Lunch in Paint Bank…

20170929_132207-1506944449116-X2.jpg

Edjumucation…

20170929_125601-1506944449995-X2.jpg

We stopped at the Overlook on 52.. Ken’s son, Ryan, was the only brave one to decide to climb up the tower… when he got to the top, and the tower was swaying in the wind, he yelled down to us, “This was a bad idea!!” lol

Sunset photo that had way more meaning than it entails…

Saturday, October 2nd

Bittersweet day today... beautiful weather, lots of twists on 58 and 421 (aka The Snake)... but we lost a riding friend yesterday and stopped to pay homage to his memory at the scene... tears have been shed, stories are being told, and smiles at the memories amidst the sadness... Love those in your life while you can cause we never know when our expiration date will come up... Sending love out to all of you today until I can get the chance to wrap my arms around you and tell you in person…

Scott/burnspot in thoughtful meditation and memory of a friend…

Saturday evening banquet… wonderful gathering, plentiful food, and our emcees for the evening, Jason/jwilly, Bob/Intech, and a personal presentation from Marty/0face, made the evening really quite special… thank you, gents, for helping us all to ease through the evening…

Especially FYB…
laugh.png

20170930_185719-X2.jpg

And more festivities in the parking lot in honor of our friend who would have loved it all…

Sunday, October 3rd

Sunday morning... a fellowship of a different kind, the Church of the Road, which for me brings me closer to any higher power out there... hugged my friends just a little longer before heading out with Rob/LKLD and Marie… winding our way along 52 through sleepy little towns that time seems to have forgotten in West Virginia.

Had about a 20-minute delay while an accident got cleaned up… silver lining = it wasn’t us!

Lunch in Williamson, WV right near the border of KY… I’m sure this used to be a bustling town in its time but the downturn of the coal industry has taken its toll…

Wide open sweeper fun in Kentucky before landing at the delightful Buckhorn Lake Resort...

They managed to find room for us in the dining room… we pretty much had the place to ourselves…

And we had company for dinner… “You done with those veggies??”

Downward dog, upward deer yoga…

I drift off to sleep tonight to the sound of crickets chirping and a full heart...

Sunday, October 3rd

Sunday morning... a fellowship of a different kind, the Church of the Road, which for me brings me closer to any higher power out there... hugged my friends just a little longer before heading out with Rob/LKLD and Marie… winding our way along 52 through sleepy little towns that time seems to have forgotten in West Virginia.

Had about a 20-minute delay while an accident got cleaned up… silver lining = it wasn’t us!

Lunch in Williamson, WV right near the border of KY… I’m sure this used to be a bustling town in its time but the downturn of the coal industry has taken its toll…

Wide open sweeper fun in Kentucky before landing at the delightful Buckhorn Lake Resort...

They managed to find room for us in the dining room… we pretty much had the place to ourselves…

And we had company for dinner… “You done with those veggies??”

Downward dog, upward deer yoga…

I drift off to sleep tonight to the sound of crickets chirping and a full heart...

Thank you, Tyler. Your pictures and narration say volumes about how nice it was to be in a community of friends and to experience autumn at EOM. That's my brief answer version.

p.s. when do we get to see the drone videos, Bob?

Thank you, Tyler. Your pictures and narration say volumes about how nice it was to be in a community of friends and to experience autumn at EOM. That's my brief answer version. p.s. when do we get to see the drone videos, Bob?
I believe it was Bill who was droning us... looking forward to seeing that footage as well! ;)

You're in the middle of it now, Madam. I would have thought that you'd be seeing some color in Kentucky these days. Regardless, those are good roads you are riding. Ride on and ride safe, my friend. I'm with you in spirit.

Been following through a different medium. But I'm on board here now. Absolutely gorgeous photos!

Ride on, Tyler and we'll see you in just a couple of weeks.
smile.png

Latest posts