Ticker or CCT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
Hi, Im looking at another 2004 (62K) to replace my totaled 04. Me being a bottom feeder, this one has a low price plus a lot of cosmetic issues that dont faze me too much, but one mechanical that Im not certain about. It makes a clattering noise at idle that sounds like a Diesel engine. Sounds nice and smoooth as revs are increased above idle. Ive read the stickies on both CCTs and Tickers (listened to audio ticker files) and I dont think its a ticker. I didnt have a stethoscope with me to isolate exactly where the sound was eminating, as seller didnt mention a noisy idle. My question is: does a noisy cam chain sound similar to a Diesel engine? Id have to hear it again, but I dont think its a bottom end issue. Your help can save me another trip to check this out. Thanks, Bob

Diesel is a fair description. Can of marbles on the right hand side is another.

Don't assume that it will be OK for awhile!!!

Edit - if it doesn't tick by now, it probably won't. Take care of that CCT ASAP. Do a valve check while you're at it and check the condition of the chain guides and chain as well. (Chains don't seem to be a problem very often but I have heard of wear on the guides.) Should be good for another 62,000+ miles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I’ll check it again with a stethoscope if seller and I can agree on a price. If the planets align I’ll trailer it home and it’ll be a good project bike for me come spring. If no deal, I’ll keep shopping for a gen 2.

IIRC, one of the main things that Zac focused on when he diagnosed my '05 as a ticker with 24K miles on it was the sound it made above idle. Not sure the rpm, but guessing it was in the 2,000 range. It's been 8.5 years, but my recollection was that he said something about that as integral to distinguishing whether it was a CCT going bad or a true ticker. While the tech was in there doing the tick extraction, he also replaced the CCT with the newer dot version - either way, the noise was gone when I picked it up.

So, I'm gonna guess yours is the CCT.

Moot point now, my low offer was rejected. Just as well, it had a lot of cosmetic issues that could have added up to more dollars or low pride of ownership.

I had a 95 GPZ1100 project bike that I sold when I bought my FJR. I regret selling that bike to this day, Looked very nice when I sold it and fit me well.

Oh well, back to cruising CL and the For Sale forum here for a Gen II.

Keep looking. 2005 ABS are out there. CHEAP. You'll find something before spring. GEN II has a few issues but still a good bike.

Just an FYI tickers should tick at all RPM ranges although harder to hear at higher revs but should be audible off idle for a bit of a twist. Also the injectors are known to be noisy, mine (2005) are and usually only at cold start up, after a bit gone, but still a tad up on the volume. CCT does sound like a can of marbles. If your'e a wrench or been around a bit you know that sound of cam chain slack. Good luck.