Noisy new bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Really hope someone can help me with this one. I have 900 miles on a 2013 FJR and this noise it makes is driving me crazy. From mile 1 it has made this rumbling sound that is very hard to describe. It is present at all times, but stops below 10 mph. like someone threw a switch! Sounds for all the world like a bad wheel bearing, but it is not. Two other guys ive talked with have this problem, others do not seem to hear it. The most prevalent opinion is the BT023 tire. Ive read where this tire is noisy, and rumbles when worn, and in a lean, but of course this bike and tire are new. Im a gnats hair away from ordering a PR3 and trying that. What is stopping me doing so, is the warranty issue. At this point, i believe it to be Yamahas problem to solve.

This noise does not change pitch with road speed, road surface, engine speed, or wind speed. My perception of it changes with helmet use, or not.

I'll admit to exhausting efforts to find an explanation on that other forum, and hope someone here has found the reason, or can offer an educated opinion.

Of course, my dealer agrees its not right, they have ridden it and heard it, but cannot find the reason. They want to charge me to dive into it further, if they surface without a reason that they can bill Yamaha for. Cannot blame them for that reasoning i guess !

I welcome any ideas you guys may have !

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the Ohio Lemon Law. You don't have to pay for this. This is a defect your dealer acknowledges is not right, and it should be covered under warranty. Document, document and document each visit, conversation and symptom. It is on Yamaha to deal with this, and hopefully it will not turn out to be a widespread problem for this model. If it is experienced by another owner, you can bet it will show up on this forum.

I notice noises coming from the tires that vary depending on the road surface. Have you noticed any difference when you are on different roads?

Kiwi

I've had this same problem the last few weeks. I think it is the BT023 tire and its been driving me nuts while away for CFO and on my way to OEM. I am certain it is the tire because the pitch changes with lean angle when a different portion of the tire is on the ground. I am hoping to change out these tires tomorrow and will let you know if it goes away.

Welcome kiwiaudio!
smile.png

I had exactly the same problem with the BT021 and BT023 but not with the old BT020 and with the very good BT023 GT!

To confirm it,go to your local tire shop and tell them to replace your front tire with a good used from an other brand or with a BT023 GT,if it is available..and ride for some minutes..Is a ten minutes job..

Try to isolate the area of noise; does the noise remain or go away (while at speed at which the noise occurs) when you pull in the clutch?

Thanks for your replies guys. Noise does not change with road surface changes. In fact ive never found a scenario of any kind that makes the noise go away except riding at 10mph. If i pull in the clutch at 40 mph when she is at full song and let it coast, it will rumble until i get down to 10mph then switch off ! Im calling this the coast test as engine is as silent as it can be without shutting it off. I have not tried this in some downhill twisties though, just straight ahead. Maybe the side of the tire will change the pitch of the noise. Hmmm...........Ill try that today.

I did ride with the front fender off to see if the noise was any different - it was not. I also stuffed the nose vent slots to see if it was air rushing through some where - no change there either.

Interesting that folks have had noises of their own with pretty much every bridgestone but the BT023GT, which incidentally, I had on my last bike with no issues. But all have developed these problems over time and mileage. Mine has been this way from mile 1. This is my first experience with an fjr - never rode one before. Also my first experience with a BT023. Why Yamaha didnt put the BT023GT on these bikes, when they were designed specifically for them, is a mystery to me.

Looking forward to hearing about your tire change results Abercrombie. Your positive story will push me over the edge. What tire are you going with?

Michelin PR3s are getting hard to find, as people are exhausting supply, and they are expensive, but seem to be the most liked. B compound on the rear was stressed somewhere, if you load or two up a lot.

Actually, just looked around and the pr3s are not hard to find at all. Revzilla, M/cycle S/store, amazon all have them in stock. B rears also in stock.

Man, is this site slow, or what? Anyone else having problems?

Actually, just looked around and the pr3s are not hard to find at all. Revzilla, M/cycle S/store, amazon all have them in stock. B rears also in stock.
Man, is this site slow, or what? Anyone else having problems?
Check Competition Accessories -- www.compacc.com -- They are usually fairly low priced on tires.

Yes this site is SLOW

Interesting that folks have had noises of their own with pretty much every bridgestone but the BT023GT, which incidentally, I had on my last bike with no issues. But all have developed these problems over time and mileage. Mine has been this way from mile 1. This is my first experience with an fjr - never rode one before. Also my first experience with a BT023. Why Yamaha didnt put the BT023GT on these bikes, when they were designed specifically for them, is a mystery to me.
I think you answered your own question.

There is oil in the pumpkin, right ?

I once bought a new FJ1200 which made the most godawful noise on the way home...the chain was dragging on the swingarm-never adjusted..

It could be a seperation in the tire that is a manufacturer's defect. I agree with Tom. Document everything. Especially since the dealer acknowledges that there is a problem. Based on what you have written I am assuming that it is coming from the front tire? (fender comment) I would press the dealer to replace the front tire and see if it goes away. Preferably with a different manufacturer. The final drive oil is worthy of a check too. Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out.

The simple check, since you are going to keep the bike for a while, is to replace the OEM tires with the good stuff - Michelin, Pirelli , Avon - premium tires. Keep the old ones for later if the tire change isn't the fix. If changing the tires does fix the problem then you may go back to your dealer for an adjustment of some sort. Tires are a consumable item, work hard on wearing them out. If they keep you from enjoying your bike get rid of them, don't think you have to suffer through them to "get your money's worth". You are going to have to buy tires for the bike anyway, hopefully sooner than later. The worse thing that can happen is you spent a few dollars earlier than expected, but will have a spare set to re install later.

Tires are an easy check.

p.s. If you decide on Michelin, get the PR2 series as they are quieter than the PR3 series. All those sipes on the PR3 front tire makes it sound kind of like a knobby dirt tire.

Kiwi
I've had this same problem the last few weeks. I think it is the BT023 tire and its been driving me nuts while away for CFO and on my way to OEM. I am certain it is the tire because the pitch changes with lean angle when a different portion of the tire is on the ground. I am hoping to change out these tires tomorrow and will let you know if it goes away.
I installed new PR2s in Tennessee last week and have not heard the noise again in over 2000 miles. It appears the noise was the OEM BT023s. I am happy the noise went away and was worried that it was being caused by some form of noise amplification coming through the newly designed front fairing.

Thanks for your replies and ideas guys. Great to hear your noise went away with a pr2 Abercrombie. I ordered a front pr3 last week. Should be here soon. Hopefully ill have the same result as you (fingers crossed) - ill order the rear tire if it does, and burn these bridgestones Haha !

Early in this process of discovery, i stuffed that new fairings openings with rags with the same thought - didn't work !

Brodie - your statement on the pr3 sipes is the first negative i've heard on the pr3 ! I do agree with your "consumable" outlook about tires though. its already on the way, so i'll try it.

And yes, there is oil in the punkin ! My favorite stuff in fact - Redline heavy shockproof. Here we go .........

Just came across this post! I have used PR 2's and 3's since I got rid of the dreaded BT tires! I have found the PR 3's can give a little more feedback from the road I think because of the siping? In my case it was more a vibration than sound, I wear full face and plugs in my ears so only hear the lovely sound of my Beowulf's! I would recommend the PR 2's as the tire to try and see if the sound is eliminated because of the tread design. In either case I love both PR tires just my observation? As I said it looks like the 3's are on the way!