New Ford Expedition Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Given the broad spectrum of knowledge on this forum I was looking for info on their turbocharged v-6. Daughter is looking and I have always been a 5.0L small block fan and have zip knowledge of the turbo stuff. Thanks.

Turbo engines run great. Search other Ford vehicles that might share that engine. F150-250 etc. Turbos like good oil and a little cool down before shutting down, still spinning when turned off.

Some are burning oil.

I would never buy a new vehicle with many new features. Untested. Seems like manufactures have so many recalls and updates to correct issues on new cars. It takes them 2 years or more to see all the issues.

Certified used vehicles have a better warr. in most cases and are less expensive. New is great but?

Not a Ford guy but have been in new-used cars for 28 years.

The 3.5 liter eco boost motor has been used in fords lineup for years. The second generation turbochargers are bulletproof and have benefited from being used and tested extensively through fords racing programs. Performance and Fuel mileage is better than the V8 too.

The 2.8 eco boost is only in its second year IIRC.

Personally, I wouldnt bat an eye on buying a vehicle with the 3.5. I have high confidence in that motor.

Our F150 has the little twin turbo V6 and I'm very happy with it. It has more power than the 5.0 liter V8 in the previous truck. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet but I know big John has one with a fair amount of miles and he is pleased as far as I know.

I've got the 3.5 Ecoboost and love it. Only have 45k on my 12, but its only seen services. 400 ft lbs of torque from 2000 rpm to redline. I tow a 24 ft boat, about 6000 lbs and a 27 ft trailer. Brought the trailer home to Washington from Minneapolis in October, only complaint was mileage dropped to 9 mpg pulling the continental divide.

Another F150 ecoboost owner. I love the truck (a 2014) and the engine. Great power when you need it and reasonable economy when you dont. Our other 4 Wheeler is an old SAAB 9-3 high output Turbo, so you could say we are fully bought into forced induction.

There may be a problem with these eco boost engines not really related to the turbocharging, caused by the direct fuel injection. Some D.I. engines are experiencing intake valve deposits due to the (emissions mandated) PCV circulating oil vapors to the dry intake tract. With no fuel to wash the oil vapor into the combustion chambers it results in a coking type of build-up on the valves, resulting in incomplete valve sealing and attendant symptoms of loss of fuel economy and eventually hard starting.

Some folks are installing catch cans to filter the oil vapor from the crankcase recirculating gasses to try and prevent this. There is no good solution to correct the problem once you have it. I havent done any of that yet. My eco boost has ~ 65k miles and so far so good.

The Ecoboost motors are mostly reliable. They are the ONLY engine available for the Expedition and SVT Raptor. F-150s, Explorers and the Taurus based Interceptors use the 3.5. It's STRONG.

Because of the way we use them, we have issues that may never show up in civilian use. The biggest problem so far is related to leaving our cars idling. After a while, oil starts leaking past some seals and the exhaust pushes smoke when we finally move. Eventually, this burns the turbos. They are currently on back-order, due to the number of failures in police vehicles. Again, that's a problem most people will NEVER see. There are times when our cars will idle 7 hours in an 8 hour shift. That's not related to stop and go traffic stuff. It's the abuse we deal these cars.

As far as the Expedition platform itself, your daughter can't go wrong. My wife's 2005 has 206k, and aside from the original engine losing oil pressure, the rest of the car has been nearly bullet-proof. A while back, I had my truck in the body shop and we had a Suburban as a rental. It was not as roomy or as convenient as my wife's Expo. The Chevy was bigger in the middle and smaller in the back. Just a bad lay out. The Expedition has been a great vehicle, and I'm going to replace it with a other one.

I had a 14 F150 3.5 Ecoboost, I traded it on a 17 F150 Ecoboost, I traded to get a Lariat and a ten speed tranny which gives,it about 3 mpg improvement.

So far I'm glad I made the trade. Mileage had been 18-19 mixed use. Haven't towed yet. Oh, it goes lime Hell up to 100 when the governor kicks in 😥

Big John. So you were only getting about 15 to 16 mpg on the 2014? That makes me feel a bit better as I’m hovering around 17 during the winter and 18 in the summer. I’ve found that setting the cruise control at 65 mph (which is the speed limit here) I can get about 21 to 22 mpg, but risk getting run over from behind on most highways around here. ;)

Valves on direct injected engines will become dirty at some point. There are several cleaners to remove deposits. Do your own research. Seafoam might work but will smoke a lot. LOT.

Cleaners must be pulled through intake manifold at a common port to reach all the cylinders equally. This even benefits normal gas engines they run so much smoother after cleaning.

Most dealers offer these cleaning services but you can do it yourself.

Big John. So you were only getting about 15 to 16 mpg on the 2014? That makes me feel a bit better as I’m hovering around 17 during the winter and 18 in the summer. I’ve found that setting the cruise control at 65 mph (which is the speed limit here) I can get about 21 to 22 mpg, but risk getting run over from behind on most highways around here. ;)
I can get 19 mpg on my 12, but have to stay under 65. When we went back to Minneapolis I got 16.5 overall crossing from Washington to Minnesota at 75 to 80. Coming back, towing a 27 ft trailer we got 9 mpg.

On Weds I drove the truck down to New London, CT to meet Big Ogre coming off the Long Island ferry, and it was freakishly warm; temps got up into the mid 70s. I noticed that my calculated fuel mileage soared up into the high 19s, where it had been running in the 17s pretty consistently, and that was running at 70 - 75 mph. Of course those calculated displays are always suspect, but Im hopeful that the plugs and air filter I put in it recently may be helping.

On a slightly different bent, has anyone with an eco boost installed a catch can mod in their PCV circuit? Im hearing lots of horror stories of people needing to media blast (walnut shells) their intake valves after relatively short mileage due to the direct injection not keeping the valves clean.

Our 2016 Explorer Platinum has the 3.5L transversely mounted EcoBoost motor. 65K miles so far and no issues. Damned thing is much faster than the 4.6L NorthStar V8 in my Cadillac!

Last edited by a moderator:
I test drove an F-150 with the 3.5 about 2 years ago. That baby runs!!

Because of the way we use them our cars will idle 7 hours at Tim Hortons or Starbucks. Yeah we get paid to eat too!
Fxd
FAKE NEWS!! I've never even been to a Tim Horton's. That's a northern/Canadian thing, which is different from a Northern Canadian thing. We have Dunkin', Donut Mart, Krispy Kreme, Rebel Donuts, and the store brands: Albertson's, Smith's, Wal-Mart, etc., but no Timmy's. It's sad, really!
Either way, I detect a hint of jealousy.

Valvoline has a new oil for sale Modern Engine full SYN. Made for TDI engines to fight sludge and valve deposits in newer engines. Sounds interesting.

Walmart $ 39 for 5 qts. Prices have gone up a bit. Mobile the same $25 Castrol and Pennoil now $27 5 qt bottle.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1390158" data-time="1519129028"><p>

Big John. So you were only getting about 15 to 16 mpg on the 2014? That makes me feel a bit better as Im hovering around 17 during the winter and 18 in the summer. Ive found that setting the cruise control at 65 mph (which is the speed limit here) I can get about 21 to 22 mpg, but risk getting run over from behind on most highways around here. ;) </p></blockquote>

Yup, sorry I didn't see this while I was riding in Baja.

I have recorded 20 mpg doing a hard cruise control 65 mph for 200 miles. There wasn't much wind that day.

Haven't towed with my new truck yet but I'm guessing th frontal area of the travel trailer will require about 9 mpg to go 65 just like it did with my 14 the laws of physics being immutable.