2016 ES - Handgrips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
Whoops! (I think.)

I asked for and was given a set of gel handgrips for the holidays. It just occurred to me that my stock grips are HEATED. So, I'm guessing that I can't use them without losing the heated handgrips, am I correct?

Are there any suggestions for heated gel handgrips? (I've tried grip buddies or puppies, and don't care for them.)

I don’t know about your application, but often gel is used as a term for the feel neoprene gives. So you tried but grip puppies and grip buddies? I ask because they are entirely different products.

I'm trying everything I can think of to alleviate my numb fingers. I tried the foam ones - do not remember if they were "puppies" or "buddies" but they do not help. I have bar end weights, risers, I have read the master Yoda riding position article - I do not clamp down my hands. I'm planning to get an RDL.

I'm going in for my second EMG in 2 weeks (very minor positive results a year or so ago) but I thought gel would help absorb vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delegated to NEPRT? I searched for threads on heated gel handgrips and found none. Sheesh!

Puppies are foam. Grip buddies are neoprene. I cant stand grip puppies. But I have sworn by Dave Repperts Grip Buddies for over 100,000 miles. They significantly reduce felt vibration.

The MYRP is a solution for poor posture. It does not compensate for a shitty seat, inherently bad ergonomics, or wicked bar vibe. Sounds like you have already implemented or are on your way to implementing the things that help those issues. Good luck.

I'm trying everything I can think of to alleviate my numb fingers. I tried the foam ones - do not remember if they were "puppies" or "buddies" but they do not help. I have bar end weights, risers, I have read the master Yoda riding position article - I do not clamp down my hands. I'm planning to get an RDL.
I'm going in for my second EMG in 2 weeks (very minor positive results a year or so ago) but I thought gel would help absorb vibrations.

Hmmmm, I thought I replied but my last post is AWOL.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply. While searching the web for additional information concerning grip puppies, I found some interesting information on advriders. One post discussed cutting the flange off Progrips (the grips I received), soaking them in hot water, and then sliding them on over stock grips. I may give this a try. I will post photos if successful.

Another thread discussed Re-grips, and that looks like another good option. https://advrider.com/f/threads/re-grip-used-as-grip-wrap.925042/

From what I have read about the neoprene Grip Puppies, the "seam" bothers some people, and they wear out pretty fast. They still might be an option, but I think I am going to try putting the Progrips on over the stock grips. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Have a happy New Year!

Pete

Maybe your numbing problem has nothing to do with your grips. I have a pair of gloves that make my hands numb every time I wear them. They must cut off my circulation in my hands somewhere. I honestly can't imagine an FJR having enough vibration to cause hands going numb. Just a thought.

Maybe your numbing problem has nothing to do with your grips. I have a pair of gloves that make my hands numb every time I wear them. They must cut off my circulation in my hands somewhere. I honestly can't imagine an FJR having enough vibration to cause hands going numb. Just a thought.
It might be medical, and that is why I am having another EMG in mid-January, but the numbness is far less severe on my M109R with Kuryakin ISO grips. Obviously, the seating position is completely different too, but being that it's a V-Twin, I would expect the numbness to be worse on that bike.

Also, I like a larger diameter grip. That is just personal preference.

Re: grip buddies- installed properly, you don’t touch the seam. I ride daily year round and replace mine once a year.

Re: bar vibe- on my 2014, I felt no vibe. Figured some folks were just more sensitive to it than I was, or had other harmonic contributing factors. Then Yamaha replaced my throttle body assembly... exponentially more vibe. It was part of the new assembly. Sync had zero effect. My 2018 has notable vibe at highway speed. Nothing terrible, and grip buddies and hvmp ends tame it. Just wanted to mention how much difference between fjr’s and fjr parts there can be.

It might be medical, and that is why I am having another EMG in mid-January, but the numbness is far less severe on my M109R with Kuryakin ISO grips. Obviously, the seating position is completely different too, but being that it's a V-Twin, I would expect the numbness to be worse on that bike.

Also, I like a larger diameter grip. That is just personal preference.
Yeah, I like a larger diameter grip as well. I tried the grip buddies once and they were too worn after the first year. I'm using some off brand of grip puppies type grip cover I found online from some cheap Chinese company. I bought a dozen of them and put them on our 4 bikes and gave the rest away. After 3 years, they're still good as new and work with the heated grips just fine. I wish I could remember where I got them because it only worked out to about $2.00 per pair. If I find any paper trail from the order, I'll post up.

They were something like these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CARPRIE-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Slip-on-Foam-Anti-Vibration-Comfort-Handlebar-Grip-Cover-Aug15-Drop-Ship/32910480208.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.135.335f58d5se3pcY&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0_10130_453_454_10618_536_10890_317_537_319_10059_10696_10084_100031_10083_10547_10546_10887_10307_321_10548_322_10065_10068_10103_10884_10545,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=171b9247-df3a-46e9-ba93-33d8035865d1&algo_expid=171b9247-df3a-46e9-ba93-33d8035865d1-15

Adjust the sweep on the bars? My gen1's sweep triggered my nerves in the wrist. Big mileage days and my hand would go numb. Adjust the sweep so the bars are more parallel alleviates that. Also I have grip buddies(neoprene) they've lasted 40k miles, look shabby but still work. Also the seam is a non issue.

Adjust the sweep on the bars? My gen1's sweep triggered my nerves in the wrist. Big mileage days and my hand would go numb. Adjust the sweep so the bars are more parallel alleviates that. Also I have grip buddies(neoprene) they've lasted 40k miles, look shabby but still work. Also the seam is a non issue.
If it was just big mileage days I could live with it. The numbness starts with me after about 10 - 15 minutes.
unsure.png

For me the numbness had nothing to do with the grips and everything to do with the position of the bars. If you sometimes wake up with numb fingers this is likely your problem too.

For me the numbness had nothing to do with the grips and everything to do with the position of the bars. If you sometimes wake up with numb fingers this is likely your problem too.
I will try adjusting them. The person from who I bought the bike was much shorter than me. I expect I will have to push them further forward.

So, reviving this from the dead.

It was a medical problem. Carpal tunnel syndrome I opted for the surgery, and on Thursday, April 25th I had bilateral carpal tunnel release surgery under local anesthesia. The surgeon used the "mini open" procedure which results in a 1" incision at the base of the palm. During surgery I got to look into the incision and see the bones, muscles, and ligaments as I moved my fingers - VERY COOL!

My hands were bandaged for 2 days. On Friday the 26th, I drove about 50 miles and NO NUMBNESS! :)

14 days after the surgery the sutures were removed. 16 days after surgery I was riding again, with NO NUMBNESS! I am totally stoked at the results. If anyone has CTS and has been putting off surgery, I highly recommend you get it done. All's well that ends well!!
smile.png
punk.gif

HyperPete posted: ... During surgery I got to look into the incision and see the bones, muscles, and ligaments as I moved my fingers - VERY COOL!
Chit! Just reading that almost made me pass out.

Glad you're healing/healed.

HyperPete posted: ... During surgery I got to look into the incision and see the bones, muscles, and ligaments as I moved my fingers - VERY COOL!

I was a Bio major but never got my degree. I was unhappy that the surgeon would not allow me to watch the procedure (although I would not have watched the incision.) I guess I am a bit strange that way. I found the procedure on youtube, but I won't post it and make you pass out!
laugh.gif

Some time back, when I had arthroscopic knee surgery, I watched on the TV screen real time as the surgeon explained what everything was and what he was doing. To do the actual repair there was a cool nibbler tool that "ate" away at the frayed cartilage. I even got a video (on VHS!) to take home.

I would say I am completely healed and have been for weeks. I have a little pain if I push on something with my palm, and my palms hurt after a day of yard work, but it was without a doubt the easiest surgery I have ever experienced. (Rotator cuff surgery was the worst.) Surgery was Thursday afternoon and I took Friday off work to be safe, but I could have easily gone in. (Computer tech.) Starting Sunday morning I wore a couple of bandaids to cover the incisions. I called in to see if I was allowed to ride before suture removal, but they said no.
sadsmiley.gif
sadsmiley.gif

Thanks (to both of you) for the good wishes!

Some time back, when I had arthroscopic knee surgery, I watched on the TV screen real time as the surgeon explained what everything was and what he was doing. To do the actual repair there was a cool nibbler tool that "ate" away at the frayed cartilage. I even got a video (on VHS!) to take home.
That just brought back a memory. When I had my knee done the first time they asked the same thing. "We'll just numb you from the waist down and you can watch everything on the monitor." Sure, sounds cool. "Wait. Why are you putting that big needle in my spine?!?"

Next thing I know I'm waking up with the chills in recovery. "What happened to letting me watch?" I asked.

"Weelllll, sometimes we can just tell it's better if some people don't."

They probably knew what they were doing.