tom tom 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyman

Reaction score
I did do a search . Just got a Tom Tom 550 and trying to figure best way to wire it for power . Be Honest I know nothing about wiring -Try taking a cig.charger male end off old phone charger and wiring to it and pugging in and did not work --thought it would .

Any ideals would help and Thanks for Your Time

Jim

You can get a cheap usb adapter that will plug into the lighter socket in the glovebox. Alternatively, you could take a 12 V tap off the lighter socket. Power requirements for a gps are not especially high.

I did do a search . Just got a Tom Tom 550 and trying to figure best way to wire it for power . Be Honest I know nothing about wiring -Try taking a cig.charger male end off old phone charger and wiring to it and pugging in and did not work --thought it would .Any ideals would help and Thanks for Your Time

Jim
Your attempt should work provided:You got the polarity right (red wire to centre pin, black to sleeve connector);

Any fuse in the plug was present and ok (many plugs have a in-built fuse);

The ignition was on (glove box socket only live then);

Glove box fuse ok (often blown by someone trying a tyre pump from there);

Last edited by a moderator:
I did do a search . Just got a Tom Tom 550 and trying to figure best way to wire it for power . Be Honest I know nothing about wiring -Try taking a cig.charger male end off old phone charger and wiring to it and pugging in and did not work --thought it would .

Jim
Your attempt should work provided:You got the polarity right (red wire to centre pin, black to sleeve connector);

Agreed, but...

Some of the phone chargers may have a fuse that could also be blown - I had that happen to me. Also, I have seen some of these where the voltage out is not the same as voltage in - voltage step-down may occur within the adapter plug rather than in the phone. I would use a voltmeter check the output of the FJR socket first for a blown fuse and the output of the charger as well.

I honestly would wire it directly to the battery. If it doesn't have an inline fuse I'd install one.

Assuming it has some type of cradle that you can leave on the bike and just remove the unit.

The advantage here is you can check routes, places of intrest, etc without having the ignition on.

The only disadvantage is using up your battery if you forget to turn the GPS off when you park the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Agreed, but...

Some of the phone chargers may have a fuse that could also be blown - I had that happen to me. Also, I have seen some of these where the voltage out is not the same as voltage in - voltage step-down may occur within the adapter plug rather than in the phone. I would use a voltmeter check the output of the FJR socket first for a blown fuse and the output of the charger as well.
Also agree.