SURGEING

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIRHEAD#124

Reaction score
Hello!! Picked up a New 07 ; 04/02/07 Calif: model & I'm having "problems" at low speed with the bike surgeing in tieght corner's & twisties: have to down shift to 1st & keep rev's up.

I think the Fuel injection is too lean!! How can this be FIXED!! Other wise I LOVE the Bike!

Hello!! Picked up a New 07 ; 04/02/07 Calif: model & I'm having "problems" at low speed with the bike surgeing in tieght corner's & twisties: have to down shift to 1st & keep rev's up.I think the Fuel injection is too lean!! How can this be FIXED!! Other wise I LOVE the Bike!

Try the Barbarian Jumper Mod... Works on the 07 too. Here is a link.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=6

While your at it, toss in a G2 Throttle tube. Between the two it's peg draggin time!

Clickie

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't bother with the Barbarian Jumper Mod.

Install the G2 and a Power Commander. Those two mods will transform your FJR into smooth dream. There are tons of threads about the throttle/fuel injection. Do a search and you will find how the two mods have transformed other's FJRs.

might i suggest you try the G2 first and see how it works before spending money on the PC3? not saying the PC3 isn't worth the money (i like mine) but that you could find yourself saving some long green if all it takes is the G2.

New bike....

Make sure the idle is at 1100 rpm.

little knob, with a phillips screw center, on rightside sticking out from below the tank.

I've seen another new owner have the same complaint.

Took 2 seconds to fix.

Both the g2 and the Fred H.. shim will help reduce this quite bit. Rumor has it that a PCIII with one of those fixes also does the trick. I attacked it from both ends. Started with the fred H. mod. that helped alot (but did not fix it) . Then combined it with the g2 mod. That combination is hard to beat. Much more controllable now but still not complete. I'm not sold on the PCIII fixing this particular issue. Bike may run better with the PCIII, but this problem seems more "mechanical" in nature (IMHO).

GreyGoose

The PCIII fixes everything. It is a lean condition. The bike stock runs like crap off idle.

I also noted that while setting up the PCIII the tach read about 100rpm too low, compared to the actual reading from the ECU. So setting the RPM's high on the tach will actually be about right.

My 2002 (Yes we have had the FJR since 2001 here in Australia)

I was having what I felt was a surge issue.

Holding the revs at about 2000 in first on a flat road (in traffic) the bike would begin to lurch.

I thought it may have been that the bike was running too lean and therefore I should look at the CO2 levels as mine is adjustable via the right hand dash interface..

Before fiddling the CO2 I had a call from the dealer mentioning that Yamaha has an international recall to replace the Throttle Possitioning Sensor.

I believe this recall is basicly all fuel injected yamaha bikes from 2000 to 2005. I believe there's a very good US site detailing the bikes effected by the recall.

Obviously this can't be your problem as it doesn't effect the 2006-> models.

CO2 could be the issue, as you say "running too lean". Before spending your hard earned green on accessories, I'd suggest taking it back to the dealer. After all it is under warranty.

My 2002 (Yes we have had the FJR since 2001 here in Australia)I was having what I felt was a surge issue.

Holding the revs at about 2000 in first on a flat road (in traffic) the bike would begin to lurch.

I thought it may have been that the bike was running too lean and therefore I should look at the CO2 levels as mine is adjustable via the right hand dash interface..

Before fiddling the CO2 I had a call from the dealer mentioning that Yamaha has an international recall to replace the Throttle Possitioning Sensor.

I believe this recall is basicly all fuel injected yamaha bikes from 2000 to 2005. I believe there's a very good US site detailing the bikes effected by the recall.

Obviously this can't be your problem as it doesn't effect the 2006-> models.

CO2 could be the issue, as you say "running too lean". Before spending your hard earned green on accessories, I'd suggest taking it back to the dealer. After all it is under warranty.
My 06 does not surge (which is why i never believed in the pcIII fix). The positive effects of the g2 (and or fred h. shim) prove to me that this is more mechanical in nature. i'm sure the PCIII would have some effect on surging, But this problem is based on initial throttle transitioning. I wouldnt consider this issue a surge. A surge would take place when the throttle is locked into a particular position, and the bike excelerates or decelerates without any input. A problem like that would definitly benefit from a PCIII. For initial throttle transitioning, the fred h. mode and G2 take a direct shot. They hit the target, just not the bullseye.....

GreyGoose