04 Stalling problem! New FJR owner NEEDS YOUR HELP!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04 FJRer

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 2004 FJR w/ ABS and have been having repeated problems with the bike surging then stalling while driving. I took this bike in to my local Yam Dealer for a new TPS (recall)and it still DID NOT fix the problem...after repeated attempts to repair ( new battery - they said low voltage???, complete electronics check- They said everything with sensors etc looked fine???) it STILL will occasionally stall...it just dies AS IF I hit the kill switch...Engine completely dies...Sometimes it will "catch" before an all out stall, but most times, it just stalls completely. :angry:

I watch my LCD screen every time and my electrical power seems totally fine---the bike will immediately restart following the stall as well. For what it's worth, it seems to be misfiring a little - not sure if it's related, and mind you that this is my first FJR ( are they supposed to run super smooth at low RPM??)

Again the TPS has been replaced, but I am suspicious that my Yam dealer is completely clueless! Does the TPS need to be "set"? Maybe they didn't set it properly? Do things needs to be "synched"? :huh:

I am really bummed about this...I love the bike, but this is downright dangerous. If it can't be resolved, I anticipate one of three scenarios---1) either I ride it and crash--- 2) get rid of the bike :( ...or 3) IF a crash happens, sue the dealer and Yam corporate.

This is really discouraging because I really do like this bike, but cannot continue to put up with this. (Not to mention the embarassment when I ride with my Suzuki and Harley owner-friends and the nicest bike---THE FJ' stalls :( !!! )

What good is a bike that can't be repaired? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and found ANY resolve??? I am going to take it to another Yam service dept about thirty miles away and give them a chance...they also sell BMW and I would assume they have seen fuel injection related issues before---I HOPE!!

Any ideas on what to do? ANY HELP OR INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED BEYOND BELIEF!!!! I bought this bike for my wife and I to enjoy ( and spent more than I ever have before on a bike) so needless to say this has caused some serious stress when it was meant to be enjoyable.

If anyone knows of this prob or any fixes or anyone who's had success... I would be indebted to you. I would be willing to try some fixes on my own too---my comfort level with service depts are low...

THANKS!

Todd :)

Where are you located?

I think you are doing the right thing taking it to another dealer. You should look under dealer feedback section to find one that has a good rep.

Does it stall at all ranges of RPM or just during low RPM?

Also do a search for "Stalling" it should yeild some results from other's who have had similar issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it could be one of many things, from the symptoms it sure sounds like a TPS to me.

Yes, they are supposed to calibrate the TPS when installing a new one. I suppose you could have also got unlucky and gotten a brand new bad one. You can easily check the TPS calibration by entereing the diagnostic mode. Do you have a service manual?

Where are you located?
I think you are doing the right thing taking it to another dealer. You should look under dealer feedback section to find one that has a good rep.

Does it stall at all ranges of RPM or just during low RPM?

Also do a search for "Stalling" it should yeild some results from other's who have had similar issues.
It seems to do it primarily at low RPM... I'm in Minnesota

I will check into that...THANKS!!! :)

While it could be one of many things, from the symptoms it sure sounds like a TPS to me.
Yes, they are supposed to calibrate the TPS when installing a new one. I suppose you could have also got unlucky and gotten a brand new bad one. You can easily check the TPS calibration by entereing the diagnostic mode. Do you have a service manual?
I have the Yam service manual fo rthe bike...The dealer replaced the REPLACED one and that didn't seem to do it...that's why I 'm wondering if they didn't "set" or adjust it properly.

Last edited by a moderator: