Accu-Gage Tire Pressure Gauge on the Fritz

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I have an Accu-Gage tire pressure gauge, kinda like this one:

accu_gage_clear.jpg

It's been working great till two nights ago. It still makes the Pffffssssst.... sound of a fat farting Alsatian Squirrel Biter Terrier when I hit the valve stem, but the needle doesn't move. :(

Before I go out and spend another $20, is there some simple tweek that these things require from time to time to kick 'em in the a** and get 'em workin' right again?

Thank you,

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
accu_gage_clear.jpg

It's been working great till two nights ago. It still makes the Pffffssssst.... sound of a fat farting Alsatian Squirrel Biter Terrier when I hit the valve stem, but the needle doesn't move. :(

Before I go out and spend another $20, is there some simple tweek that these things require from time to time to kick 'em in the a** and get 'em workin' right again?

Thank you,

Jb
Throw it across the shop, if it works great, if not, you needed a new one anyway :)

On mine the release valve screws up on ocasion and a little cleaning and some mild violence seems to set it straight. :)

Ohh I see now, you liked his "Mild violence" but not my throw it across the shop :protest:

When I first got mine the needle was under the pin @ 0 rather than on top. (Doing exactly what you are saying) A quick slap of the unit into my hand fixed that but you can pull apart under the hose to check the spring and the seals.

dog

Ditto, sounds as it may be the release valve hanging up somewhat. It could also be a malfunction inside the meter where the expanding tube attaches to the gear that swings the needle. It's kind of like a rack and pinion setup inside and that could have gone wonky.

Yup, Eye gots wun thet duz thuh same dang ol' thang. Ever wunst en awile et duzn't do whut ets s'posed tuh. Eye jist doesn't youse thet part. Thuh gage es purdy ackyoorut soes Eye jist dew thangs thuh ol' fashund weigh en move thuh thang offen thuh valvey stem till Eye heer et goe "psssst". Fer twenny dollers Eye din't spect et tuh lass, butt ets bin aworkin' thet weigh fer nye onta 5 yeers.

Eye figger ets bedder tuh hav them valvey thang go "funnie" then fer them hose fittens tuh be aleekin jist lak thuh wun afore.

Yer myalidge kud bee differnt. :)

Yebbut...$70...AND it doesn't have an angle fitting, so it would be real tight for those with OEM vertical stems. My $20 gem travels in my topcase, toolbag or tankbag and if it gets broken, lost or "borrowed"... :unknw: ...no big deal.

If money don't matter, there is Smartire, it is always there, indicates low pressure and allows you to monitor tire temperature:

It is always there, indicates low pressure and allows you to monitor tire temperature.

Not only is this expensive at $70, it's inconvienient too:

I use the $20 Accu-Gage, while it doesn't have a 90° stem end the tee fill is quite handy.

[i use the $20 Accu-Gage, while it doesn't have a 90° stem end the tee fill is quite handy.

Gunny - although I did have to get my tire guy to put a new valve in the tee fitting end this Winter as it just quit and went psst way too much. Very good gauge and I had assumed I'd have had to replace it by now but it just keeps on ticking!

accu_gage_clear.jpg

Thank you,

Jb
Accu-gage has lifetime warranty. You can send the gage back with $3 (and a note stating the problems) and they will fix everything and recalibrate it before sending it back to you.

Check it out here: https://www.ghmeiser.com