WELDED OIL FILTER

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
Can anybody field any suggestions on how to get an oil filter off that refuses to budge? I have an 05 and was going to give it its first change of the season and it won't move an inch! :ranting2:

I do have the appropriate oil filter wrench but all that did was round off the filter itself,Ive attempted foot torqueing it(kicking) loose,nothing even stood on the extension w/ the filter firmly in place,nothing, and I'm 6' and 210. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Have you tried a strap filter wrench? They come with the strap made out of a rubber-like material that helps grip the sides of the filter... You can find them in lots of places (most Auto parts stores, Wallyworld, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar issue getting my oil filter off the first time.

I tried 3 different oil filter wrenches

I broke a rubber strap wrench

Rounded off every semi flat surface on the filter with the other oil filter wrenches

Finally got it off with the smallest old fashioned oil filter wrench (Which was still too big) with the broken rubber strap from the strap wrench wrapped around the filter after I cleaned it really good with some simple green to ensure it had no oil residue on it. At this point I basically had to inch it loose a bit at a time to avoid breaking this setup.

I have no idea what the last owner/dealer torqued the filter to??

I think the spec is 12 ft-lbs off the top of my head

My factory-installed filter was extremely tight, too. I used a very large channel lock pliers to get it off. It crushed the filter, but it came loose. I haven't had any further problems with the filters I installed.

Large adjustable pliers. With the Riley highway pegs, it's all I use-though mine are never that tight, should still remove even a super tight one. If nothing else, start tearing the filter apart, a screwdriver punched through the outer section may remove it-if nothing else, it will allow the oil within to drain, making the destruction a little less nasty. Install the new one hand tight, never had a leaker this way, and never a problem removing.

Jab a screwdriver long enough to use as a handle on both sides right through the middle of the filter. Turn CCW.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpedBoy - +1, also give you that extra adrenalin shot knowing that if you don't get it off you'll never ride again!

When using big pliers to loosen an oil filter, you get a better grip if you grab the filter as close to the base as possible. The further out towards the end you grab it the easier it crushes.

I normall put mine on as tight as I can by hand and then use big channel locks to remove it. I keep thinking that I want to get one of those oil filter wrenches that look like a shallow socket and fit on the end of the filter, but I haven't remembered to get one while buying a filter. You need to get one specific to the size filter you use so it's best to buy one while you have the new filter in your hand.

Maybe your model got the reverse threads on the oil filter. Good luck finding a replacement for it. :p

I keep thinking that I want to get one of those oil filter wrenches that look like a shallow socket and fit on the end of the filter, but I haven't remembered to get one while buying a filter. You need to get one specific to the size filter you use so it's best to buy one while you have the new filter in your hand.
I got one of those, worthless. The thing wasn't deep enough to keep it from sliding "back and around", given that the filter was slightly rounded on the places it grabs. I was pushing in toward the bike hard enough to almost knock it over.

I keep thinking that I want to get one of those oil filter wrenches that look like a shallow socket and fit on the end of the filter, but I haven't remembered to get one while buying a filter. You need to get one specific to the size filter you use so it's best to buy one while you have the new filter in your hand.
I got one of those, worthless. The thing wasn't deep enough to keep it from sliding "back and around", given that the filter was slightly rounded on the places it grabs. I was pushing in toward the bike hard enough to almost knock it over.
Woodstock, is that the factory yamaha filter wrench?

Part # YU-38411

I assume I will not have problems getting it off again as I always put my filters on hand tight.

But, I was planning on getting the factory wrench since the smallest filter wrench I have is still too big.

Or maybe I will just keep the broken rubber strap wrench in my toolbag (just in case I am stronger than I think I am ;) )

Woodstock, is that the factory yamaha filter wrench?

Part # YU-38411

I assume I will not have problems getting it off again as I always put my filters on hand tight.

But, I was planning on getting the factory wrench since the smallest filter wrench I have is still too big.

Or maybe I will just keep the broken rubber strap wrench in my toolbag (just in case I am stronger than I think I am ;) )
No, it was something from a parts-discount store, but it was the correct size for the filter. Maybe the Yama one is deeper? I do think that much of the problem was how tight the factory filter was put on.

Better yet, buy K&N filters. They have a nut built right on to the end so if you want to torque them to the correct settings its a piece of cake. Taking them off is also just a ratchet and an extension and it comes off. No strap wrenches, filter wrenches, etc.

I'd be willing to bet few of you guys had much luck in reading comprehension. ;) Quoting myself,

If nothing else, start tearing the filter apart, a screwdriver punched through the outer section may remove it-if nothing else, it will allow the oil within to drain, making the destruction a little less nasty.
If the screwdriver trick doesn't work, it will, I repeat, drain the filter. Now, just start tearing it apart. Don't go crazy, just break the outer cover off, remove the guts, then use a wide flat screwdriver or chisel (carefull!!) and remove the baseplate. Used at an angle, the chisel or scredriver can be used to start loosening the base, then just turn it off. I have had to do this numerous times in my career, when a filter installed by a paranoid owner became one with the engine. :)

Come on, rad.....you can be more demeaning then that....I feel let down.

I've twisted the nuts off those K & N's. I find that if the screwdriver doesn't work after I've abandoned the strap wrench, I do the same as Radman. This always works, and I've done it a lot. I've been working on farm machinery since I was 8.

Hand-tighten SOUNDS nice and all, but I imagine nothing says your bike loves you like when it spits out its filter and a nice jet of scalding oil all over your leg and rear tire. Make sure the filter is on tight.