Water Therapy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
I woke this morning to the sound of rain hitting my bedroom window. "Being in England, nothing unusual" you might think, however, in common with many countries, we've experienced many weeks of hot and dry (apart from the odd thunderstorm) weather.

Nothing planned for today, at something of a loose end - a bit like my web server at the moment ...

(click on image for larger view)

Server is the thing with the lights, hanging from its connections.

... which is waiting while I convince myself an intermittent problem is resolved. (If my pictures don't show, it's probably because its problem isn't resolved.)

Feeling a bit low (had a lot of that lately), thought I'd go for a ride. So it's raining. So it'll be a wet ride. (When I was at school, I'd often go for long walks in the rain. Not sure what that says about me.)

Went into the garage, checked the bike had some fuel - 3/4 of a tank, that'll do. Checked the temperature. It's been in the high twenties C for weeks (mid eighties F), very unusual here. Today the bike said 17 (63). Decided I'd need a layer under my jacket, took me a while to find my fleece, I've not needed it for quite a while.

Put on my usual riding suit (this was a mistake, see later), smeared some petroleum jelly over Tomtom's holder's connections -

- keeps it water resistant.

And set off into the rain.

I'd already decided to keep it local, just round roads I know well. Traffic was much as expected, not as heavy as usual for a Sunday, but where there were cars, they'd be queued behind someone suffering from Wet Pavement Syndrome. But that's why we ride motorbikes, so that we don't have to stay in queues of cars, right?

The rain continued. This was good British rain, not particularly heavy, but steady, and thoroughly wetting, particularly with the blustery winds accompanying it.

Stopped to admire some waterworks

The bike waits patiently.

I continued on, the temperature got a bit cooler, down to 15 (59), my one layer under my jacket was barely adequate, and I'd nothing else with me. Oh, well, wasn't going to stay out too long. Just as well, my seat feels wet.

The roads looked pretty slick.

but they weren't particularly slippery, there's been enough rain to wash off all the several week's accumulation of dust and oil. Never had any "moments", not that I was doing anything extreme. (Still on the OEM BT023 tyres. Yes, I need to get out more.)

Stopped again, to admire the view.

Normally, those fields would be green, the dry conditions are causing farmers some problems, they don't normally have to artificially irrigate these fields. This rain will help, but we're due for another dry spell.

The bike waits patiently

So, back at home, I curse myself for the mistake I made earlier. The suit I put on lost its waterproofness years ago, I have another I use when I might get wet. I did get wet. So I had to change into dry clothes. That might teach me a lesson. Or it might not.

Trip route:

(Click on image for interactive route map)

Trip summary:

Just on 70 miles.

Feel much better now. Wonder what a therapist would charge for a 2 hour session? And, would it be as much fun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a pleasant read.

Always enjoy your contributions.