April 27 FJR Forum Geezers, Retirees and Reprobates Ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It's once again time for another Southwest FJR Forum Geezers, Retirees and Reprobates Ride: It will be a run up Devil's Highway '666', with an overnight stay at The Sportsman Lodge on Wednesday, April 28. Meetup spot is the Goldfield Chevron in Apache Junction at 0930 hours.
Yur a busy beaver my friend....

Keep up tha good work...

:thumbsup:

PLEASE NOTE: Ride starts out on Wednesday, April 27 going to Alpine and ends on Thursday, April 28 when we return to The Valley of the Blast Furnace!

Fuck...I finally have a few weeks off work but can't ride :angry: . You girls enjoy your slumber party!

Just to be clear.... We are going to the hotel on Weds. leaving at 9:30 then not driving the highway until Thursday on the way home? or are we checking in, then riding the highway and staying over before returning?
We are riding through Globe, Safford and Clifton on Wednesday, heading North on the Devil's Highway and spending Wednesday night in Alpine.

On Thursday morning we are riding South on the Devil's Highway, so we'll be riding it in both directions. I have to be back in Chandler by 4pm.

I called them and got a reservation. Phyllis said I was the first to get a room?
I'm not even going to bother with making a reservation, I'd be shocked if the Sportsman Inn is booked up last Wednesday of April; if so, Hi-Mountain Lodge.

If you look at my icon picture there you will see the meetup gas station in the background (I'm pretty sure).
Chevron Fuel & Food Store is located at the Southeast corner of US Highway 60 & Goldfield Road in Apache Junction. Meetup: 0930 hours. KSU 0945 hours.

I am in if I could just figure out what youa'll are actually doing and when??????

R
The ride starts somewhere, ends nowhere, and has kool-aid breaks. Be careful R, you might end up riding a Hondapotamus!
Richard, Here's a "chalk talk" on what will happen over the two days of Wednesday 4/27 and Thursday 4/28: 1) At 0945 hours on 4/27 we'll leave the Goldfield Chevron in Apache Junction, AZ; AJ is 35 miles due east of Phoenix International Airport on US Highway 60. You are welcome to spend Tuesday night 4/26 at my house, I have a newly furbished guest bedroom for you to use.

At approximately 1300 hours we will arrive in Safford, AZ for a fuel and food stop. It is then approximately a three hour ride from there to Alpine, AZ; but we usually stop for a coffee and pastry at the Hannagan Meadows Lodge located 30 miles South of Alpine. https://www.hannaganmeadow.com/

We'll have dinner at The Bear Wallow Cafe, great steaks and chicken; Mom and Pop style restaurant. We will be staying at The Sportsman Lodge in Alpine, which is at the Intersection of AZ-191 and AZ/NM-180. Directly across the street from the Lodge is a mountain tavern. https://www.yelp.com/biz/bear-wallow-cafe-alpine

The tavern has hard liquor and beer on tap; juke box and two pool tables, and the bartenders is a biker chick with plenty of tattoos (dcarver's kind of Gal!). Since I have to pick up my Son Seth from his school by 1600 hours, I will set my alarm for 0600 on 4/28 and that will get me back to Chandler by 1500 hours. So, from there to Torrance is approximately six hours of Interstate running ant +10 over; you could be at your home in Torrance by 2100 hours. So you could get a good night's sleep before work the next day. Ha, ha! https://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Sportsmans.Lodge.877-560-7626

So what day are you riding "The Highway"?

thats sounds doable.......

R
We're actually riding Devil's Highway '666' on both days! On Wednesday 4/27 we'll be running it South to North from Clifton to Alpine. On Thursday we run it North to South from Alpine back to Clifton.

We'll have to be very careful on Thursday morning though: Elk, bear, burros, coyotes and deer on the road! https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Clifton,+az&daddr=33.37048,-109.32722+to:alpine,+az&hl=en&geocode=FRFR-AEdyUV8-SlLu6fL2usnhzFhOgNXGXV7hA%3BFXAx_QEdjMx7-SlbRAsbAcMnhzGqN8LPhGj1gg%3BFSx7BAIdpJt--Sm_ZZ61YUgmhzF8NpByJu-X3Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&sll=33.39836,-109.050625&sspn=1.178588,2.636719&ie=UTF8&ll=33.655781,-109.846802&spn=2.350128,5.273437&z=8 SkooterG's map shows the Clifton to Alpine part of '666'!

I just booked a room at The Sportsmans Lodge in Alpine, Arizona for Wednesday, April 27 for my Alps Riding Buddy Uri Schumm and Myself. Spoke to Frank the Proprietor at 1-877-560-7626 and a room with two double beds was a total of $73 a night, tax included.

For SkooterG and Fairlaner, who only require just one bed: A room with a Queen bed is $66 a night, total OTD price. Frank has a liberal cancellation policy for motorcyclists: If your Gen II spiders fail going to Alpine, Frank will cancel your room at no charge to you!

Thanks for making the reservation Don. This time I'll pack my earplugs so I will be spared your (snoring) rhapsody that accompanied me each night in Spain. :)  I'm really looking forward to this ride on my favorite road in Arizona.
Sounds great, Uri!  Papa Chuy's snoring will definitely wake up a boulder!  Looks like we are going to have a dozen riders up for the Devil's Highway '666' Ride between the AZ Beemers and FJR Forum Clubs.  Should be fantastic weather and very little road traffic, expect for our FJR's and BMW's!  I can hardly wait for 4/27!

BUMP REMINDER: Two weeks from today we will be making our second pass of The Devil's Highway '666'! The previous day, Wednesday the 27th, we will have ridden '666' South to North; on Thursday the 28th we'll ride The Devil's Highway North to South. Don't miss out on a great ride on old '666'!!!

BUMP REMINDER: A week from today on Wednesday 4/27 we of the Southwest FJR Forum are riding the Devil's Highway northbound. Spending a night at the Sportsmans Lodge and dining at the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine. Then on Thursday 4/28 we run '666' southbound. Sunny and 70F high on both days.

https://www.intellicast.com/Local/Forecast.aspx?location=USAZ0003

Clicky HERE, HERE, and HERE for more information on our SW FJR Forum Devil's Highway Ride.