I do motorcycles. Sherri does Glass. George does both

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
We all know Khunajawdge, he is a rider from Los Osos (near Morro Bay) and I met him once on a ride down in that area. He met us for lunch and we had a nice time with his wife Jan and him. It was then that we learned that he shared his passion of riding with me, and his passion for glass with Sherri. At the time, Sherri was lampworking (using a torch for smaller glass art) and was scheduled to take her first class for glas blowing. A year later, and we were invited to Los Osos for an open house of George's studio.

There was no question! We went. We had a great time and I took some pictures of George and Sherri working in the studio. In many of them, Sherri assisted George bringing him punties and bits for his work. A punty is a rod with a button of glass on it used to attach to the object so that the artist can break the glass free from the blow rod and work on the other side of the object. A bit is a rod with glass gathered so that it can be fixed to the object, the artist will add the glass to the object as desired and the important part in regard to the assistant is to have the glass at the right thickness, temperature and delivered at the right angle for easy application. It's really fun watching people work together in this type of setting. Mistakes can ruin an object (it's only glass) or can really hurt. Glass from the furnace is 2200 F degrees!

There are a few things that you need to know:

Glory Hole: blasting heat used to reheat the object being worked on.

DSC05451.jpg

Furnace: A really hot place where a big vat of molten glass is kept, this is where the glass being worked on the blow pipes, punties and bits come from.

DSC05472.jpg

Marvering Table: Solid smooth metal surface used to shape, position, cool, and sometimes used to hold colored frit for application to the piece. In this application, George also has rollers for the blow pipe and tools and performs a lot of the work at this station.

George explains the coloring technique for the fish he is making. The colored frit is applied to the blown bubble to give the clear glass from the furnace its color.

DSC05462.jpg

George adds size by blowing through the pipe

DSC05464.jpg

George and Sherri working the piece and bit in the glory hole

DSC05490.jpg

Placing the punty - Sherri brings the punty to George who places it on the piece. Sherri supports the piece as it is disconnected from the blow pipe.

DSC05476.jpg

George lets the molted glass from the bit drip onto the piece then cuts off the unwanted glass with diamond shears

DSC05478.jpg

George heats the fish back up in the glory hole

DSC05480.jpg

Sherri working on a vase that she made

DSC05484.jpg

The vase above shows the shaping provided by a mold that Sherri is using here

DSC05483.jpg

Then we had an awesome dinner, too much wine and finished out a great day with great friends. Thanks George and Jan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat Andrew, but I think you enjoy typing the words "Glory Hole" a bit too much....

Groovy stuff OV

thanks for sharing. Always great to see an Artisan at work ....and looks like Sherri is on her way to becoming a pro!

I'll have to post up pics of her finished work.
We're waiting.... :drumming finger smiley: :D

I do motorcycles. Sherri does Glass. George does both, A day watching George play with his other passion
I'd never heard it called that before?!?!? :eek:

Yes, even for kalifornians.........winter has arrived.
Nah...we still ride...it's just my FJR is needing a Cam Chain Tensioner so we caged instead of rode.

Or were you referring to the fact that some people in the pics were wearing sweaters? :lol:

Actually, I was referring to thread itself....interesting read, though......and good pics to boot. Sweaters?....didn't notice them. Wouldn't it be kinda warm in the building with them furnaces booking at 2200 degrees?

Very cool documentary (or whatever you would call such an affair on fora such as this...)

I especially like that they use common articles to create their tools and such, like REAL PEOPLE do. I spy a car wheel (rim) used as a base for something or other, and there's at least one beer keg being used for something too.

They look like regular people, but with special skills, that you could sit down with and yak about their passions and the state of the world. How cool to find people like that.

...I could only wish that I was one of them. :closedeyes:

Very cool documentary (or whatever you would call such an affair on fora such as this...)
I especially like that they use common articles to create their tools and such, like REAL PEOPLE do. I spy a car wheel (rim) used as a base for something or other, and there's at least one beer keg being used for something too.

They look like regular people, but with special skills, that you could sit down with and yak about their passions and the state of the world. How cool to find people like that.
George seems a pro at taking everyday things and making something just as, if not more useful out of them. Some people have burn barrels. George has an industrial washer drum. Imagine how well the fire is seen and felt with all those holes in the side!

You can even meet cool people like them on FJRs :)

Not gonna take outa context :ph34r:

Oh.... Thats just tooo easy

:assassin:

Sherri brings the punty to George who places it on the piece. Sherri supports the piece as it is disconnected from the blow pipe.
You're killing me here man!! Its like a major leager at a T-ball game :lol:

Glad a good time was had by all.

Groovy stuff OV
thanks for sharing. Always great to see an Artisan at work ....and looks like Sherri is on her way to becoming a pro!
She really is getting good. I'll have to post up pics of her finished work.
I have had the privilege of holding some of Sherri's really impressive artwork... She is a true talent here!

I wish i could have seen this in action, This stuff amazes me...Kinda like a moth to a flame. LOL

Not gonna take outa context :ph34r:

Oh.... Thats just tooo easy

:assassin:

Sherri brings the punty to George who places it on the piece. Sherri supports the piece as it is disconnected from the blow pipe.
You're killing me here man!! Its like a major leager at a T-ball game :lol:

Glad a good time was had by all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all know Khunajawdge, he is a rider from Los Osos (near Morro Bay) and I met him once on a ride down in that area. He met us for lunch and we had a nice time with his wife Jan and him. It was then that we learned that he shared his passion of riding with me, and his passion for glass with Sherri. At the time, Sherri was lampworking (using a torch for smaller glass art) and was scheduled to take her first class for glas blowing. A year later, and we were invited to Los Osos for an open house of George's studio.
Thanks George and Jan!
No Problemo, Andrew and Sherri! It was great sharing my greatest pleasures with the likes of both of you. The next time I invite any riders within striking distance to my studio hacienda here:

CenCal BBQ in December

Besides FJR'S, there will be glass! :coolsmiley03: