El Cheapo Throttle Grip Improver

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
I recently bought some new winter weight gloves 'cos my old ones were no longer rain proof.

These new gloves I found didn't grip the throttle as well, and I had to squeeze harder to hold it open. After an hour or so, my hand was suffering somewhat. I've already done the spring release, so I wanted another way to ease the strain.

Having worked out that it was the squeezing that was hurting, what I wanted was a way of increasing the friction between my gloves and the grip. I came up with a 2-minute, tuppenny solution.

I got an old inner tube, cut a length from it about 1cm (3/8 inch) wide, and about 40 cm (18 inch) long. This I wound round the grip in a spiral, stretching it a little, and secured in place at each end with a plastic tie, cutting off extra length.

Couple of piccies:

1_DSCF8412.JPG

Underside, showing plastic ties:

1_DSCF8410.JPG

Obviously needs engineering a bit better, but so far it's worked well, easing the strain on my hand. It also doesn't affect the grip's heating (quite important when it's only a degree or so above freezing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Grip puppies also work with the heated grips, and make the grip a bit larger as well.Mary
Couldn't find any grip puppies in about 6 local dealers that I tried. We don't seem to get the diversities of farkles that you get in the US!