Bags connection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Reaction score
I am looking at the Bags Connection Engage and City tank bags and am looking for advice. I have not seen either of these in person but have seen pictures of the City bag on a FJR on this forum. It's a good looking bag but looks like it may be a bit bigger than I need. Anyone here using the Engage bag? Do they fit off the tank pretty good? Anything bad to say about them ?

Thanks

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's two cents or so worth, since I haven't tried or even seen either model. I did just look at pics of them, and neither seems to have a clear map window on top. I think that's a real necessity. Had just one bag without such a window and it was really missed. One looked awful large, too.

My current bag is the Bagster that connects to the Bagster tank cover. I like it a lot, but it's pretty large--almost too large (I do have my handlebars in a very swept back configuration via some adjustable risers I bought from the forum). I've gotten used to it, but the bars are sometimes hindered by the bag when fully cranked over. Unfortunately, the Bagster came with TWO bags--the larger one is meant to mount on the bottom with the smaller on top. I just use the smaller one alone now. The two bags together are just way too much and I probably won't ever use them again that way after one trip. Point is, a bag can be way too big, so watch out for that "City" bag, especially. And don't forget how handy that top window is.

I'll post up a pic of my Bags Connection tank bag tonight. I can't remember which one it is, but it sort of follows the curvature of the tank.

I like it - especially the tank-ring mounting system.

Here's two cents or so worth, since I haven't tried or even seen either model. I did just look at pics of them, and neither seems to have a clear map window on top. I think that's a real necessity. Had just one bag without such a window and it was really missed. One looked awful large, too.

My current bag is the Bagster that connects to the Bagster tank cover. I like it a lot, but it's pretty large--almost too large (I do have my handlebars in a very swept back configuration via some adjustable risers I bought from the forum). I've gotten used to it, but the bars are sometimes hindered by the bag when fully cranked over. Unfortunately, the Bagster came with TWO bags--the larger one is meant to mount on the bottom with the smaller on top. I just use the smaller one alone now. The two bags together are just way too much and I probably won't ever use them again that way after one trip. Point is, a bag can be way too big, so watch out for that "City" bag, especially. And don't forget how handy that top window is.

With my 59 year old eyes I find I can't focus on a tamkbag map all that well so that is something I could give up ( but is nice to put index cards in with road numbers in large print). I may be wrong but I think they do make a map holder that will go on the bag.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary.

I have the Engage XL and I love it! The Engage is 7 Liters, the XL is 14.

The Quick Lock tank mount was a breeze to install and works perfectly.

001.jpg

002.jpg

At first, I was worried that it was too big and would get in the way. It isn't and I don't notice it while riding.

003.jpg

004.jpg

I also bought the optional map case, though I guess I'll break down and go GPS one day :)

005.jpg

006.jpg

Hope this helps you?

Al

I got an Engage bag from another member here, I like it well enough but I have a couple of issues, it;s not really all that big and despite it's small capacity it's really wide at the top/front so my starter engages when I turn the bars fully to the right (usually when I'm backing into a parking spot).

I've seen a different FJR with what looks like a City and it definitely would not have this problem. I'd recommend the City over the Engage.

Hi Gary.

001.jpg

002.jpg

At first, I was worried that it was too big and would get in the way. It isn't and I don't notice it while riding.

003.jpg

004.jpg

I also bought the optional map case, though I guess I'll break down and go GPS one day :)

005.jpg

006.jpg

Hope this helps you?

Al

Great pictures...thanks so much.

Gary

I got an Engage bag from another member here, I like it well enough but I have a couple of issues, it;s not really all that big and despite it's small capacity it's really wide at the top/front so my starter engages when I turn the bars fully to the right (usually when I'm backing into a parking spot).

I've seen a different FJR with what looks like a City and it definitely would not have this problem. I'd recommend the City over the Engage.

Thanks...that's the kind of information I need.

Gary

I have the GS bag for touring and the Daypack tank bag for day trips.

The GS forms to the curve of the tank pretty well. It looks good on there and holds a lot. Its big but not too big. Its narrow enough at the front that there's no conflict with the bars on full lock. The clip-on map pocket is much bigger than I've had on any other tank bag which is a great feature - you get a nice sized area of map visible. The way the bag clips onto the tank causes me problems at times. Mostly it clicks right in place but sometimes I have to struggle with it to get it back on the ring.

The daypack is a lot smaller and sits up on top of the tank. It holds all I need on a day trip. Its a nice option to have.

Coincidentally I just ordered the Engage tank bag made by Bags Connection several days ago.

From what I've learned the engage bag has been revised and I've yet to find current photos of the

"new" engage tank bag anywhere but on the Twisted Throttle site (see below).

I travel light without allot of junk and use my Zumo550 GPS for navigation so this style and size tank bag

should work well for me.

Proper install is key to ensure correct placement and avoid the issue mentioned above with the bag hitting the starter button.

18278-500x600.jpg

Here is a photo of the old version mounted on a FJR that I found

Quick%20lock%20engage%2070%20-%20full.jpg

Quick%20lock%20engage%2060%20-%20full.jpg

Quick%20lock%20engage%2065%20-%20full.jpg

Coincidentally I just ordered the Engage tank bag made by Bags Connection several days ago.

From what I've learned the engage bag has been revised and I've yet to find current photos of the

"new" engage tank bag anywhere but on the Twisted Throttle site (see below).

I travel light without allot of junk and use my Zumo550 GPS for navigation so this style and size tank bag

should work well for me.

Proper install is key to ensure correct placement and avoid the issue mentioned above with the bag hitting the starter button.

18278-500x600.jpg

Here is a photo of the old version mounted on a FJR that I found

Quick%20lock%20engage%2070%20-%20full.jpg

Quick%20lock%20engage%2060%20-%20full.jpg

Quick%20lock%20engage%2065%20-%20full.jpg

Thanks...that's more the size I had in mind.

Thanks to all for the information!!

Gary

Hi Gary.

[At first, I was worried that it was too big and would get in the way. It isn't and I don't notice it while riding.

Hope this helps you?

Al

Al beat me to it. I have the Engage - not the XL. It works great and is simple to install then remove and reattach. The lower section WILL touch the tank if it's overloaded or you lean on it. I istalled clear adhesive polyurethane sheeting under that part of the bag to protect the paint.

This is the one I have:

bc_trs_00_007_100001332854593-13067.jpg

There is a little clear pocket on top, but looks like it more for a phone or something like that - definitely not big enough for a map, unless you're going on a very short trip.

I have the standard, original Engage on the electrically powered tank ring on my 2008. That is the same one as mferriter directly above. I agree with most of the comments above on the bag and the map pocket. The curved shape of the Engage bag follows the FJR tank contours reasonably well, and looks good.

1. Take note if you have a Helibars triple clamp. This moves the handlebars rearwards. I have the bag mounted as far back relative to the tank ring as is possible, and even so, there will be interference at full left and full right steering lock. This causes the horn to beep or the starter button to engage, respectively, if I'm not careful. This is only a practical issue when trying to park the bike, as otherwise I cannot imagine approaching full left or right lock when riding.

2. I also own the original Daypack bag, which is more rectangular in shape. The Daypack is smaller than the Engage, but its shape is more usable, frankly, than the original Engage bag for 2 holding water bottles, glasses, small items. If the Daypack was 25% larger, I'd use that one all the time.

3. The electrified tank ring option is handy for keeping small electronics charging or powered inside the bag and works quite well. The ring is only powered when the bag is snapped on to it. As it turns out, I don't really use this feature as much as I thought I would, since my Zumo 550 is hardwired and my Droid Bionic smartphone (in the excellent Ram X-mount) is always plugged into the glovebox power receptacle.

Lee

I did get the new "revised" engage tank bag and have it installed. Not the best photo but here is what it looks like. Should be perfect for my use.

They even supplied a drill bit and template for drilling the bag to match the bracket attached to the tank opening. Included also were a rain cover and shoulder strap. There is an internal divider that can be positioned either fore or aft (or completely removed)to separate the content of the bag. The two side pockets are small but hold small items from flying around in the center section such as a camera, wallet or cell phone. The zip operates in a completely opposite direction of the old engage bag. It certainly is not a cheap purchase since you could buy a small Givi top case for the same price. One advantage for those that like to travel around town minus the side/top cases, you have a place for small necessities.

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

I have the standard, original Engage on the electrically powered tank ring on my 2008. That is the same one as mferriter directly above. I agree with most of the comments above on the bag and the map pocket. The curved shape of the Engage bag follows the FJR tank contours reasonably well, and looks good.

1. Take note if you have a Helibars triple clamp. This moves the handlebars rearwards. I have the bag mounted as far back relative to the tank ring as is possible, and even so, there will be interference at full left and full right steering lock. This causes the horn to beep or the starter button to engage, respectively, if I'm not careful. This is only a practical issue when trying to park the bike, as otherwise I cannot imagine approaching full left or right lock when riding.

2. I also own the original Daypack bag, which is more rectangular in shape. The Daypack is smaller than the Engage, but its shape is more usable, frankly, than the original Engage bag for 2 holding water bottles, glasses, small items. If the Daypack was 25% larger, I'd use that one all the time.

3. The electrified tank ring option is handy for keeping small electronics charging or powered inside the bag and works quite well. The ring is only powered when the bag is snapped on to it. As it turns out, I don't really use this feature as much as I thought I would, since my Zumo 550 is hardwired and my Droid Bionic smartphone (in the excellent Ram X-mount) is always plugged into the glovebox power receptacle.

Lee
I have a daypack for my FZ1 and use a non electric mounting ring. I would like to Put an engage xl on my FJR with an electric ring. Do you know if I could snap the daypack (non electric) onto the electrified ring on the FJR for short trips? To clarify, can a non electric ring be attached to an electric mount?

I have a daypack for my FZ1 and use a non electric mounting ring. I would like to Put an engage xl on my FJR with an electric ring. Do you know if I could snap the daypack (non electric) onto the electrified ring on the FJR for short trips? To clarify, can a non electric ring be attached to an electric mount?

Yes. Actually, I have the same setup you describe. My Engage is electrified and my Daypack is not. I use both of them on my FJR's electric ring.