Unpatched Bluetooth-Connected Devices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it start playing Barry Manilow if hacked?

The S20 is BT4.0 and an SMH10 is BT3.0, both of which should be safe (thank god - I couldn't take "Mandy" over and over).

"AND, if this commercial scares you, we will sell you a patch that will protect you from someone hacking your MP3 player, for just a small nominal fee." Gotta say, that sounds like BS to me.

It's a real vulnerability- but not as nefarious and catastrophic as the ad makes it sound. Devices that are current won't be vulnerable. Even when they are, it's not like they can remote control the device. More like, if everything lines up, cause it to crash with a buffer overflow or something similar, although some control issues, and the potential for a "man in the middle" like attack are also possible, given the right circumstance. Armis is cited as an example in CERT's VU#240311, so at least their findings are credible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sena isn't at risk, it's your phone that needs to be patched.

For me, the worst thing that could happen is stealing my bank info, or a ransomware attack.

In the former, my bank will cover it and for the latter, I'd rest my phone.

I don't keep BT turned on all the time, but I know other people (including my GF) that are less technical, that have BT and WiFi turned on all the time, 24x7.